On 18/07/2024 at 06:54, Sir Tarmo said:

If we get a point, let alone a win, I’d be shocked. This is just extended pre-season (and excuse making from Ferguson until a potential takeover) for us so this is a write off.

19 hours ago, Connor Macleod said:

Honestly seems like a lifetime ago since we last faced Bonnyrigg at home & it was only a year ago so much has happened since then gone from being favourites in that game to now underdogs a point or a win just seems so unlikely now. 

Would like a win cause it would give the young boys a bit of confidence. Going into that opening league game against Dumbarton after 4 straight defeats won't do the confidence any good even if the group matches are seen by the club as glorified friendlies. 

Since our manager is stubborn & dead set on playing this turgid system I would be surprised if we get anything tomorrow. 

23 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Not so sure, we could see the coming of age with the youngsters, bear in mind some of them have been blooded in the bear pit of the Highland League.

Courage mes braves.

Faint Heart never fecked a pig.

Edited by SandyCromarty

1st half was good, 2nd half was like a training session with the only things of note was a long range Gilmour effort over the bar & a Bradley Rodden effort for Bonnyrigg going just wide. Game was won by HT so it was probably right to take the foot of the pedal. 

Thought the young lads did very well couple more wins like that will do the confidence a world of good. 

If only Big Dunc showed more faith in the local talent instead of getting  a bunch of loan players we might still be in the Championship.

Arbroath on Tuesday night will be a bigger test for sure. Let's not get our hopes up.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Courage mes braves.

Faint Heart never fecked a pig.

Was pleasantly surprised with that result not going to lie. Can't blame us for being skeptical after the last few weeks losing to Brora & Annan is hardly encouraging 😅 

682 attendees iirc and a nice crisp passing first half and as mentioned, not much of a second forty five. 

Good goals too, including one from that rare football tactic that in the olden days we called a cross

To this onlooker Strachan seems like he has a similar physique and potential as Harper and Mackay the younger already looks like he has something different about him. 

I couldn't help but notice two characters taking a view from the bridge and whereas I have every sympathy for anyone that finds themselves in a fiscal fix, anyone boycotting and depriving our young players of their positivity is over thinking, if indeed over thinking for them is possible. 

Edited by sophia
typo

Have to assume Annan will fully go for it on Tuesday, as a win for them solidifies them as group winners. No Gowser in yesterday's game, injured? Would be nice to see him again on Tuesday.

On 17/07/2024 at 17:32, 19QOS19 said:

Never seen enough of Muir tbh. I never felt confident with Todd on penalties. I'm sure it was Bartley's first game where he completely skied one over the bar. Not sure if it's landed yet. 

* Until EK turn us over next week 🤦

That penalty skied at Montrose was horrible but it's the only one he ever took for us in an actual match.

Fun Fact though - Josh Todd is our most successful penalty taker in penalty shoot outs in history. He took one for us five times in penalty shoot outs: St Johnstone, Kelty Hearts, Motherwell, East Fife and Dundee United, all at Palmerston, and scored all five of them.

Both Stephen Dobbie and Gavin Reilly have also taken five penalties for us in competitive penalty shoot outs but both missed one of them (Dobbie at TNS, Relly at Dunfermline in a Challenge Cup game when he was only 17).

Personally I'd have had Josh Todd on our penalties any time in the last two years regardless of that Montrose miss. He's no John O'Neill (penalty king) but his record is good.

15 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Lads, it's Arbroath.

They have a mental block when it comes to The Caley.

Don’t they have something like one win in 2024?  They’re heading straight to League Two. Nothing to worry about.

8 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

They have a mental block when it comes to The Caley.

Don’t they have something like one win in 2024?  They’re heading straight to League Two. Nothing to worry about.

Aye, they've not won away since last December, I believe.

What bunch of diddies were so shit that they lost a home match to Arbroath?

On 21/07/2024 at 20:30, Skyline Drifter said:

That penalty skied at Montrose was horrible but it's the only one he ever took for us in an actual match.

Fun Fact though - Josh Todd is our most successful penalty taker in penalty shoot outs in history. He took one for us five times in penalty shoot outs: St Johnstone, Kelty Hearts, Motherwell, East Fife and Dundee United, all at Palmerston, and scored all five of them.

Both Stephen Dobbie and Gavin Reilly have also taken five penalties for us in competitive penalty shoot outs but both missed one of them (Dobbie at TNS, Relly at Dunfermline in a Challenge Cup game when he was only 17).

Personally I'd have had Josh Todd on our penalties any time in the last two years regardless of that Montrose miss. He's no John O'Neill (penalty king) but his record is good.

Did Ryan Conroy ever take a penalty for you lads?

Can't be many in professional football that have a better record than him. Took 10 or 11 for us and never missed a single one.

That being said, Matt Lockwood is the best penalty taker I've ever witnessed for us. Scored something like 30 penalties in his career, smashed in 8 for us - with them all being unbelievable strikes and then missed against Ayr United and then proceeded to become a broken man after it missing his next 2 and the last was a horrific penalty. Just one miss seemed to sap all his confidence forever more.