Snus - a PFA study into use by professional footballers

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c100p6572n4o

“Almost one in five male professional players who took part in a new survey are using snus, nicotine pouches or both - and nearly half would like to stop using snus within 12 months.

The study by Loughborough University, commissioned by the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), also identified that two out of five players had tried the pouches at least once.

The report suggests the actual usage figures are "likely" to be higher because players may not want to disclose they use snus even in an anonymous survey, which was the first research on its specific use in football.

As many as 628 male players, based at either Premier League or EFL clubs, were surveyed - as well as 51 Women's Super League players.

Of the male respondents, 18% said they currently use snus while 42% said they had tried the substance at least once. The figures for female players were 22% and 39% respectively.

Nearly half of the men (48%) indicated a desire to quit using snus in the next year, but just 9% in the WSL.

Interviews were also conducted with 16 professional club performance and medical staff.

What is snus?

Snus is a tobacco product in a sachet, similar to a small tea bag, which is placed under the lip and releases nicotine into the bloodstream.

It is illegal to be sold in the United Kingdom but not against the law to use, while tobacco-free nicotine pouches are legal.

Most players used nicotine pouches rather than tobacco-based snus. However, they often referred to nicotine pouches using the term 'snus'.”

Is that not the stuff that fell from Neil Lennon's mouth on camera at one point?

My mate works with a guy who is semi-pro who imports the stuff and sells it to players. Makes a fair old wedge off it, I believe. Is it actually performance enhancing?

I tried it once when I was living in Sweden. Loads of people use it there. 

It's like a mini tea bag that you put between your upper gum and top lip. 

I tried it and the sensation was strange. A creeping numb/tingling sensation spread from that point all round my head. Once my head was totally like that, I spewed my guts up all over the place. Didn't try it again. 

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Doesn’t seem the best idea to me…..

Anybody tried this for performance purposes?

Being able to 'smoke' without actually smoking to get that tobacco hit?  Makes a change from sucking on a metal dildo like the kids are these days, go one step further and recreate that teabagging sensation! 🤔

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I tried it once when I was living in Sweden. Loads of people use it there. 

It's like a mini tea bag that you put between your upper gum and top lip. 

I tried it and the sensation was strange. A creeping numb/tingling sensation spread from that point all round my head. Once my head was totally like that, I spewed my guts up all over the place. Didn't try it again. 

Sounds delightful,added to my to do list

7 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

My mate works with a guy who is semi-pro who imports the stuff and sells it to players. Makes a fair old wedge off it, I believe. Is it actually performance enhancing?

Least exciting drug deals ever. If you’re in go all in imo.

15 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is this basically 'snuff' or something different?

It’s a pouch of pasteurized tobacco you shove on your gum. Or the Swedish stuff is anyway; the nicotine pouches are the same idea but it’s pouches with fiber soaked in nicotine solution with no actual tobacco in it.