Gibraltar Vs Scotland 3rd June 2024, Euros warm up

image.png.bb70ab7cf0e9265c0a89d09d500bfe51.png

This is what I had in mind so not far off others thinking bar 2 or 3. On reflection it'll probably be Gordon instead of Gunn and it'll probably be 0 or 1 of Tierney and Robertson and not both but I will just stick with the above XI and see how close it is. Ralston, Hanley, McKenna, Taylor, Doak and another to come off bench.

Some minutes on the pitch for some players. Maybe a slightly unfamiliar line up in terms of people starting the game. Some of them maybe didn’t get the minutes they wanted towards the end of the club season, so hopefully we can give them some that get them up to speed for the tournament itself. The ones that need minutes will get minutes. 

I think the most important thing for this game is that I’ve got players who need to play some minutes on the pitch, so that was the thinking behind taking it.

Steve Clarke

https://youtu.be/aTbx2HgvYUY?si=nJ_weJZBkZlRlO6b

21 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Their prolific 42 year old striker has scored 33% of his international goals against us, so our defence could be in for a tough evening.

image.thumb.png.a2942ebb3235aa2a51c7400934491d90.png

Imagine he scored a hat trick and doubled his international tally.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Imagine he scored a hat trick and doubled his international tally.

He also scored vs Celtic didn't he? 

We're in for it this evening 🫣

A country that has existed in footballing terms for 11 years, has a record caps holder that would put him equal 4th for Scotland, and a second that would put him 6th.

Really puts into context how we somehow lack staying power, though it seems to be changing now.

46 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Their prolific 42 year old striker has scored 33% of his international goals against us, so our defence could be in for a tough evening.

image.thumb.png.a2942ebb3235aa2a51c7400934491d90.png

The BBC preview talked about their most important player being 40 odd but him being injured so assuming that’s him. 

Relief!

35 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

A country that has existed in footballing terms for 11 years, has a record caps holder that would put him equal 4th for Scotland, and a second that would put him 6th.

Really puts into context how we somehow lack staying power, though it seems to be changing now.

Or that we actually have enough good players to choose from that we don't have to keep dragging out the same guys well into their late 30s because there's nobody else.

Should be quite interesting from a novelty perspective.

It will be quite different to any team I’ve picked before.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12787281/steve-clarke-replacing-lyndon-dykes-scotland-striker-euro-2024/

Ben (Doak) is in the squad to gain experience, to work with us. He has been out for four and a half months so let’s not put too much on Ben. He has trained for a couple of days – he didn’t train today (Sunday) just as part of his return to play, this was a day off his feet. He will be available, maybe some minutes off the bench. But let’s keep Ben in the right place. Let’s not over hype or over push him. Let’s do it properly.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-doak-set-scotland-debut-32944843

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Or that we actually have enough good players to choose from that we don't have to keep dragging out the same guys well into their late 30s because there's nobody else.

Perhaps in the context of Gibraltar, but less convincing when we look further afield.

9 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Perhaps in the context of Gibraltar, but less convincing when we look further afield.

I've been thinking the same myself since I started watching Scotland in the late 90s, we don't seem to have players with the number of caps that other nations similar to us have. Even the likes of Craig Gordon who has been around forever has just the 74 caps. Switzerland have three players well over a 100 caps for example. 

In the last few years, having a settled team who are turning up regularly has changed that though (maybe due to having a better pool of players now they have to be selected) and I think it has shown in the results

Posted (edited)

Sky Sports news reporting that Doak was training with Armstrong and McTominay, away from the main group.

Not sure if we'll see either of them today.

Hopefully it's not another injury for Doak after being out for 5 months.

Edited by SlayerX

9 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I've been thinking the same myself since I started watching Scotland in the late 90s, we don't seem to have players with the number of caps that other nations similar to us have. Even the likes of Craig Gordon who has been around forever has just the 74 caps. Switzerland have three players well over a 100 caps for example. 

In the last few years, having a settled team who are turning up regularly has changed that though (maybe due to having a better pool of players now they have to be selected) and I think it has shown in the results

It's true - though some of it's down to just dreadful luck.  Craig Gordon and Darren Fletcher would have had many, many more caps but for injuries and illness.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Genuinely think this will finish 2-0 or 3-1 or something and there will be loads of gnashing of teeth.

I sense the same thing.  I understand why we'd play Jack and McLean from the start, but it will end up in ponderous football with no cutting edge.

That will cue 'why are we even playing the game' and there's some truth in that.  SC is a hostage to fortune and the injuries make his decision harder, as any further loss of personnel hardens that position even further.

Right now - I'd expect 2-0 or something similar.  That might change depending on the team that starts.  Shankland is the Joker in the pack, though, as he's a goalscorer in a way few Scotland sides have had over the years.

44 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It's true - though some of it's down to just dreadful luck.  Craig Gordon and Darren Fletcher would have had many, many more caps but for injuries and illness.

Yeah true we seemed to have a surplus of good goalies then and weren't making any tournaments also which would of limited his appearances.

Just seen that Gilmour is on 25 already, could be on course to be the record appearance holder by the time he reaches his 30s if keeps injury free