Boness United 2024/25

12 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Ended 2-3.   

BU's were worthy of a point.

They did well to fight back but that first half alone was deserving of a defeat 

The first half was truly awful to watch.  Too many BU players were thinking that defending is exclusively the work of the back 4.   I really like Kyle Johnston and Danny Irving but WTF were they doing today ? They both appeared to be positioning themselves in the gaps between players rather than tackling, blocking, competing........they were both like big mobile blue cones.

Second half we played better and fought back to 2-2.  The tails were up , we pushed for a winner but alas lost 2-3 on the break.  That is Fitbaw.

MOTM was Porteous. 

31 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The first half was truly awful to watch.  Too many BU players were thinking that defending is exclusively the work of the back 4.   I really like Kyle Johnston and Danny Irving but WTF were they doing today ? They both appeared to be positioning themselves in the gaps between players rather than tackling, blocking, competing........they were both like big mobile blue cones.

Second half we played better and fought back to 2-2.  The tails were up , we pushed for a winner but alas lost 2-3 on the break.  That is Fitbaw.

MOTM was Porteous. 

What was the team?

Boheesian, 

4-1-1-3-1

In goal was the same trialist we have had for a few games now......told he has an Italian name. Looks a better option than young Liam Campbell.

Back 4 was Stevenson, Macaulay, Travis and Hawkins.  (Hawkeye's 100th BU game)

Danny Irving was at 6 with Johnston slightly ahead as an 8.   (Looks great on paper but it didn't work today).

Porteous left, Kennedy right, Grant at 10

Kieran Mitchell up top.

Subs JJ and Gemmell were effective in midfield.

Sub Fin Malcolm played really well when he came on with real attacking intent.  Looked a different player.

Sub Duffy scored a goal and looked to have more pace than Hawkins and Travis.

Trialist B didn't get on but he looked like an under 20's player. 

Loads of talk today about players. Here are the main topics :-

Lucas Stenhouse will be coming soon on loan.

Gregor Nicol will also be coming on loan, probably once East Fife are finished their League Cup group stage

The BU's are still speaking to unsigned players but these players are in strong positions as they are being pursued by a lot of clubs and whether or not they are affordable for the BU's is anyone's guess.

So where are we now , only one game in but 7 games played , all but one at home .

17 goals scored , 18 goals conceded .

Although we talk of a striker the stats point to a serious problem at the back and we certainly know where part of that is but pace is also a problem .

Yesterday we threw the game away , should have overturned the two goals , but this goes back to the same problem from last season , go 2 down before we start . We have not learned .

Fin did well down the right when he come on but Ryan removed for me was a mistake , get him forward .

Anyway the second half gave us a bit more hope .

With being unable to make the Stirling game, I once again popped along to watch the BU. Think the last time I saw you was at the start of March, and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in the First Half. It just didn’t work and you looked to have gone backwards, despite having pretty much the same team. Take nothing away from Stirling Uni, I thought they played well, looked well organised and their No 7 would be a good signing for any team in this league. 

The comment above said the Trialist Goalkeeper was a better option than Campbell, I’m surprised at that, I didn’t think he looked strong at all and should have done better with the 2nd and 3rd goal, in fact, the 3rd goal is a basic error that happens from time to time, but still. How bad has Campbell been??

It’s been said already about how disjointed the team was, but fair play to them for the change in the Second Half, and after the second went in, I really thought you were going to go on and win it. I thought Gemmel made a huge difference when he came on, battled with the Uni no7 and stopped him from playing. First time I have seen Malcom play Right Wing and thought he was dangerous every time he got on the ball and after the rejig, things just seemed to work, you kept the pressure on, your more creative players like Stenhouse, Grant and Malcom made things happen and Mitchell was getting rewards for his hard work up top.

Can’t help but wonder what Musa is up to and why he hasn’t returned. For as poor as you initially were, with him in the side, I think you would have come away with at least a point on that showing.

Look forward to getting along another handful of times over the season, best of luck guys.

53 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

........... How bad has Campbell been??

I thought Gemmel made a huge difference when he came on......

Can’t help but wonder what Musa is up to and why he hasn’t returned. 

Good post BB_Bino. 

Re the 3 points above:-

Campbell had a dreadful start.  He is too timid, cannot hold a ball and. takes risks with the ball on the deck. 

Gemmell is probably not able to play more than 45 minutes every second week.  If he was a petrol car he would be a Bentley with 250,000 miles on the clock !!  We need his type of player in midfield to give us control.

Musa is sitting in the house waiting for a club (any club)to phone with a big money offer........I have my fingers crossed it won't happen and he chooses to return to the BU's !!!

Stenhouse wasn't playing ......did you mean big Porteous ?

Thank you @Deanburn Dave, very much appreciated. I did mean Porteous, my mistake.

I didn’t recognise him, but if it was Thomas Vesnaver, then he had a few years in the Brighton academy before moving up to Scotland to attend Stirling University. He was training with our Development Squad for a few months 2 seasons ago but was never offered anything.

On 28/07/2024 at 16:29, Deanburn Dave said:

Yesterday at the Fitbaw I was asking without success who the trialist keeper is.

Having done some digging I think it is Thomas Vesnaver an Italian who was at Dunipace under 20's last season.

A Vesnaver was one of the "top engagers" on the BU FB page, so I think you can say for sure you've solved that mystery.

Don't worry DD you also made the list.

Twitter and Facebook showing the pictures from training last night .  If that was just the BU's who were training it looks like a couple of new players were there.  The black player in the pictures looks big........but he is maybe standing close to one of our smaller players so the scale may be off !!     

Not getting too excited as there are plenty of unsigned players training at different clubs just now trying to seal deals.