Boness United 2024/25

That was a game that could have gone either way, and unfortunately for us it went Tranent’s way. The positives were the team is starting to come together, and there has been improvements each game. The negatives are as mentioned above the forwards and midfield need to connect, ( most notably against Stirling Uni)and we need to play in the first half as we played in the second half. Perhaps Stuart could give his half time talk before the game.

Tough one to take in the end with another last minute goal going against us.

Was hard to see for me whether Travis’ challenge was in or outside the box but if it’s inside I have no idea why he would attempt make the foul. Was never getting there.

5 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Kieran McAulay said it was outside the box. Thought the Ref was hesitant before making his decision.

Referee was asking the linesman who was miles behind play (a constant in the match) to confirm.

GOALIE :- Campbell was okay with his hands but his kicking was poor.

DEFENDING:- Good to have Stevenson back. He had a good game.   Keir Macaulay also competed well.  However Duffy and Travis struggled this evening.  Too many hopeful balls played up the pitch went to Tranent players.

MIDFIELD:- the pair were isolated and outnumbered in the first half.  Gemmell and Johnston were too often overrun.  In the second half when Porteous (my MOTM) moved in there it was a more equal battle.

FORWARDS :- Stenhouse different class. Nicol never got a break but put in the effort.   Good goal by Smarticus. 

My view is the defence with games will get tighter and there appears to be plenty of promise in the BU attacking third but we need to find a midfield that can control games and link back to front.   

Hunter will get this all sorted have no fear.

8 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Kieran McAulay said it was outside the box. Thought the Ref was hesitant before making his decision.

Travis clearly thought it was JUST outside the box when he committed the foul. ...............but let us be honest we should be dealing with a long byekick much better than that.

A couple of Tranent fans were saying it was outside the box and they were in line but no way the linesman was in a position to see it .

A bit unlucky tonight as we played well for the first 30 mins of the second half .

I'm afraid I do not rate Duffy and think Travis is feeling the strain in the partnership . 

I said during the friendlies we would struggle and so far we have .

Morning reflections on the night before.

Thought Campbell did well at the goalkeeping side of the job, but his kicking made Musa look like prime Zidane. Given that was meant to be one of his big plus points, it's not ideal.

Travis briefly pulled up in the first half, I wonder if he's still suffering a niggle from the preseason injury.

The lack of any control in midfield in the first half forced the defenders to go long and we suffered in that our forwards aren't set up for that.

Second half it felt like we got a bit more control, Porteous seemed to be slightly deeper and Nicol came inside a little just filling that space and we got some joy. When we did get the ball down and moving we looked good, creating quite a few decent chances and getting lots of corners. Thought Porteous in the 10 role did well, they seemed to struggle to quiet know what to do with him and he's got that Mr Tickle thing that even when he's losing the ball he often comes out with it. For as much as we all love Tommo, I thought we lost a bit of control when he came on.

Delighted that I can now say I've seen a goal by a guy called Smarticus.

Stenhouse looks like he'll still be able to do some damage but is playing with much more of an edge, leaving a foot in here and there compared to last season.

What happened at the end that's just football, sometimes it goes for you and sometimes against you.

Biggest concern just now is that deeper midfield position, I'd like to see us try a true 4-2-3-1 with two sitting in front of the defense, individually just now they get quite isolated and can't get a foothold. If we have one (Gemmell/JJ) being the battler and the other (Johnston/Irving/An Other) being the more controlled player I think we'd have a stronger base to build attacks from.

As ever though, I've never kicked a ball outside a fives cage in my puff and Hunts and the gang know what they're doing, so I'll stick to posting waffle on P&B leave them to it!

2 hours ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Three games so far, one draw and two games we've conceded late when on top of a game and chasing a winner.

I don't think there's any alarm bells ringing.

There is always an element of good luck/bad luck in games. The breaks haven't run our way in the 3 games .  Could have been sitting with 9 points rather than the 1.

Trust me these things settle out over a season.  Relegation for the BU's is not going to happen this season.