Boness United 2024/25

Time for Hunts to hold his hands up and say he was naive in signing this goalkeeper .

BU had all last season to check out goalies with a view to bring in as it was fairly certain that Musa would be leaving .

He is young and wouldn’t want to slag him too much but he is not Lowland League standard .

5 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Young Liam Campbell had an uncomfortable match this evening.  He struggled with adapting to the wet and windy conditions far more than the Strollers keeper.   

Not buying that , nothing to do with conditions , he was awful .

10 hours ago, Arnie said:

Conditions were not great for football but am sorry the keeper had a mare tonight but 3 battling pts 

I'd be surprised if we don't see the keeper on loan from Airdrie on Sunday. You see moments from Campbell that show the ability that he has, but there's a ton of development and match experience needed there. Talented but very raw.

I think some of the fans are wanting a world class keeper less we foget it's the lowland league we play in some times you just have to sign what you can afford it's bu not ek we support in hunts we trust

59 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

I'd be surprised if we don't see the keeper on loan from Airdrie on Sunday. You see moments from Campbell that show the ability that he has, but there's a ton of development and match experience needed there. Talented but very raw.

I think Campbell will become a very good keeper but there is still plenty of development to be made.

Hopefully some competition drives him to work harder instead of taking the huff.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Rage said:

He'll need time to develop. Was clear at Kelty too. Would pull a worldy of a save then a howler the next. Depends if he gets the time to do so & if Bo'ness can afford to. I really think there is a good player in there.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Not going to get much development and match experience on the bench however

17 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

Not going to get much development and match experience on the bench however

Can't afford him to be playing if he's throwing in two howlers a game like last night. Only reason CSS were in the game was him unfortunately.

48 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Can't afford him to be playing if he's throwing in two howlers a game like last night. Only reason CSS were in the game was him unfortunately.

fair point. will need to see marked improvement coming weeks in order to keep his place you'd imagine

1 hour ago, aidan-bufc said:

I think Campbell will become a very good keeper but ..........

Aidan,   Hunter will be gone if he is  waiting for Campbell to become a "very good keeper".  Sad but true.

There are a few problems with Campbell:-

He is short for a goalie

He gets bullied at corners.   He can't really put on any more muscle i.e. that's as big as he will get.

He doesn't read the flight of the ball . This is the biggest flaw for any goalkeeper.

He doesn't like holding the ball and prefers pushing it away, usually into a dangerous area.

His kicking isn't great. 

Doesn't communicate with the defenders.

Defenders don't trust him.

Most of the flaws/issues above will not change. 

Going to be a tough season if we need to always score 3 goals in a game to have a chance of getting three points.

48 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Aidan,   Hunter will be gone if he is  waiting for Campbell to become a "very good keeper".  Sad but true.

There are a few problems with Campbell:-

He is short for a goalie

He gets bullied at corners.   He can't really put on any more muscle i.e. that's as big as he will get.

He doesn't read the flight of the ball . This is the biggest flaw for any goalkeeper.

He doesn't like holding the ball and prefers pushing it away, usually into a dangerous area.

His kicking isn't great. 

Doesn't communicate with the defenders.

Defenders don't trust him.

Most of the flaws/issues above will not change. 

Going to be a tough season if we need to always score 3 goals in a game to have a chance of getting three points.

I never said he’d be a success for Bo’ness but will be a good keeper.

Im pretty sure a 19 year old goalkeeper can improve his kicking, communication and strength with a bit of work.

2 hours ago, blue 8 said:

I think some of the fans are wanting a world class keeper less we foget it's the lowland league we play in some times you just have to sign what you can afford it's bu not ek we support in hunts we trust

Fed up hearing about money as an excuse with BU .

I’m pretty damn sure that the CSS goalie didn’t cost a lot of money and he is streets ahead of ours and of course not world class .

3 hours ago, seenitall said:

Fed up hearing about money as an excuse with BU .

I’m pretty damn sure that the CSS goalie didn’t cost a lot of money and he is streets ahead of ours and of course not world class .

Their keeper - Freddie Owen - will be 19 in September and looks competent.
I mentioned Ryan Adamson in a previous post who is a decent keeper - now at Kelty - who was understudy to Andy Murphy, was offered a contract but declined as the money wasn’t enough. 
I can’t imagine the management team not prioritising the search for a keeper but it’s maybe a case of the desirable not attainable. We live in hope.

Goalies at this level (and in general tbh) tend to be a gamble. We've been lucky with Murphy and Musa recently. In the hypothetical that you get offered a young goalie on loan from Hibs or to sign one from Kelty, there's pros and cons to both. We've got Campbell, he can train and develop with this group and potentially be there longer term. Every chance if the Hibs goalie does well at CCS he'll be gone in January on loan to a team further up the chain.