First Division 24/25

Arthurlie 3-0 St Rochs. Game changed on the red card to the Candy defender for DOGSO. Prior to that Candy were well on top and had hit the woodwork numerous times and Marc Watters pulling off 3 or 4 great stops. We did miss a penalty and another great chance during that period but never had any control.

After the red and we scored after a great run and finish by Healy we looked more comfortable other than a couple of set piece chances for the visitors. Bolger cinched the game with a tidy finish when 1 on 1 with the keeper and McGaughey got a 3rd with a nice close range finish after a nice individual run.

Not a great performance but 3 points and a clean sheet are a good start to the season.

Looking at this league closer it has all the makings of a good 'old school competitive junior league '

Everyone is much of a muchness in terms of nobody spending crazy money or even good money resulting in big gulfs between top middle and bottom in the league (ability wise on the park).

Teams and players will need to battle it out and play football to get results.

On 28/07/2024 at 10:44, Arthurlie1981 said:

Arthurlie 3-0 St Rochs. Game changed on the red card to the Candy defender for DOGSO. Prior to that Candy were well on top and had hit the woodwork numerous times and Marc Watters pulling off 3 or 4 great stops. We did miss a penalty and another great chance during that period but never had any control.

After the red and we scored after a great run and finish by Healy we looked more comfortable other than a couple of set piece chances for the visitors. Bolger cinched the game with a tidy finish when 1 on 1 with the keeper and McGaughey got a 3rd with a nice close range finish after a nice individual run.

Not a great performance but 3 points and a clean sheet are a good start to the season.

I think it says it all that Marc Waters got MOM.  I thought St. Rochs looked fitter, faster and  tidier in their play than Arthurlie until the sending off.  I was at the opposite end but i felt the red card was harsh.  As you say 3 points and obviously an improvement from last season as we failed to win at home 3 times against 10 men.   From what i witnessed on Saturday, the Candy will be real contenders for promotion and possibly even league winners.  Arthurlie may struggle .   

1 minute ago, Peter Culter said:

I thought there was a rule in the WOSFL that spectators couldn’t watch a match from outside of the pitch?

Nearly as many people outside tonight at Stepford than in!

What can be done about it?

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What can be done about it?

Do other clubs not have netting that can cover any viewpoints?

They missed out on a fair amount of gate money tonight by not being set up in time or chasing those that were already in.

1 minute ago, Peter Culter said:

Do other clubs not have netting that can cover any viewpoints?

They missed out on a fair amount of gate money tonight by not being set up in time or chasing those that were already in.

Sorry, thought that was already up and they could still see. There is few that you can see in, I don't see there's much else can be done.

19 hours ago, Peter Culter said:

I thought there was a rule in the WOSFL that spectators couldn’t watch a match from outside of the pitch?

Nearly as many people outside tonight at Stepford than in!

I'll say it. The type of grounds at these council leisure centres were not built with the intention of being used for games where the public are expected to pay.

Petershill Park, Kilwinning, Bonnyton and the new Kirkintilloch Centre are purpose built to house professional football.

I know I've changed my tune, but one learns as one gets older.

Went along to watch Rob Roy tonight, my first time watching a game at this level and right on my doorstep too. 

Nice little ground that, and a pretty even game, Vic's had the edge in the 1st half but conceded an unlucky goal from a nothing header. Second half favoured Rob Roy more, but 1-0 was about right overall.

I'll make sure and go back when I'm not trailing around watching Ayr.

Edited by Peil

Arthurlie 6-0 Ashfield.

Never came out of first gear and Ashfield never threatened us at any point. So much was the game going that one of the Ashfield subs decided he wanted to go home early as he had one of the worst tackles I have seen recently (as bad as Lafferty’s) taking out Calum McEwan.

3 out of 3 to start the season and a our toughest challenge so far comes next week at the Glens.