Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇫🇮 Finland

Btw it wouldn't surprise me if Conway forced his way in to be our main striker within a couple of years.

Think he has a lot to offer, on he ball and off, and if he can finish then he could be our most complete striker.

47 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Is this your first time watching them?

They are experts at beating the press, that's basically gilmour's main job at Brighton 

McGinn hasn't been on it for a long time for us

I don't disagree that they are good when pressed, was meaning they look even better when they're not being pressed and allowed to play with it a bit more. It's off the ball I'm worried about in the middle of the park considering we will be under the cosh a fair bit more than these recent friendlies. The centre back and centre midfield area give me the fear defensively especially on the counter attack as we don't have any real pace in there.

Won’t read the whole thread this time as I’m hungover as f**k and can’t be arsed, but I’d like to say I thought Christie was excellent last night. 

20 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Won’t read the whole thread this time as I’m hungover as f**k and can’t be arsed, but I’d like to say I thought Christie was excellent last night. 

He usually is for Scotland. His work rate is outstanding and is such a versatile player. One of the first picks for me.

Just now, AJF said:

He usually is for Scotland. His work rate is outstanding and is such a versatile player. One of the first picks for me.

I’d have him starting next week for sure. 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I was in the SE corner so difficult to see in the first half, but looked like he was at time dropping in behind Ralston and driving across the middle of the pitch. Possibly acting as a 3rd CM alongside McGregor and Gilmour?

If McTominay is fit, I’d be tempted to play him ahead of McGinn against Germany. More pace and presence in the centre - defend as a central 4, with him and Christie getting forward to support Adams when in attack.

A few assumptions there, and requires dropping McGinn which is almost heresy given what he’s done for us.

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’d have him starting next week for sure. 

So would I, he would be starting every game for me as he can give us some creativity in attack as well as works his socks off defensively. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I was in the SE corner so difficult to see in the first half, but looked like he was at time dropping in behind Ralston and driving across the middle of the pitch. Possibly acting as a 3rd CM alongside McGregor and Gilmour?

If McTominay is fit, I’d be tempted to play him ahead of McGinn against Germany. More pace and presence in the centre - defend as a central 4, with him and Christie getting forward to support Adams when in attack.

A few assumptions there, and requires dropping McGinn which is almost heresy given what he’s done for us.

I think you're right and he looked like he was playing a bit all over the park to me. Second half he was playing more out wide on the left driving into the box for example. Hopefully Clarke was trying out some different options with him as he is a very versatile player.

Edited by Butters Scotch

15 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

So would I, he would be starting every game for me as he can give us some creativity in attack as well as works his socks off defensively. 

I think it’s acceptable to drop him in favour of a Gilmour-McGregor-McGinn-McTominay midfield, but for the sheer tenacity and running power, I’d always start him against the better teams. It’s almost a shame for him that those four are in the same team - if he was in any other era he’d be nailed on starter. 

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think it’s acceptable to drop him in favour of a Gilmour-McGregor-McGinn-McTominay midfield, but for the sheer tenacity and running power, I’d always start him against the better teams. It’s almost a shame for him that those four are in the same team - if he was in any other era he’d be nailed on starter. 

False 9 and get them all in

3 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

We fell apart when Gilmour went off, him and McGregor had that game totally under control in second gear. None of our options for the middle of the back 3 are great but Hanley looks like a guy that has hardly kicked a ball of late. The number of times he didn't know where the ball and/or his man was was very concerning, including for their first goal. I'd take Porteous and Hendry next week but suspect Clarke wants Hanley to deal with Fullkrug if he plays. 

Yeah fair enough. Agree about midfield. I also thought before watching the highlights that Hanley was already off before the 1st Finnish goal. He wasnt and had some blame in it. He's not where he was for sure and thats understandable after so long out. Still think Clarke wants him in though. Selfishly hope he plays but its a tight call.

10 hours ago, SlayerX said:

I've seen Mainoo all season, including the pre season games, including the game against Real Madrid when he picked up that bad injury.

If you want to follow the hype train, fine, that's your perogative. You sure as hell aren't alone.

England could call up a league 1 player and suddenly he would have a £50m price tag on him, leaving the mindless drones to be drooling over him.

Adam Wharton was playing for Blackburn in the Championship about six months ago. Sixteen EPL games later for Crystal Palace and he's on the plane to Germany with the label "England's Toni Kroos" around his neck like a noose.

Mainoo is raw. It's only due to England being weak in midfield that he's even going to Germany.

No one knew about him this time last year.

If England had the likes of Scholes, Hargreaves, Carrick, etc. He wouldn't be on the plane.

If Manchester United had prime Scholes, Keane, Ince, Robson, Carrick, Fletcher or Park, Mainoo would still be playing for the United youth team.

No doubt about it.

Kalvin Phillips was labelled the Yorkshire Pirlo a couple years ago. That aged well.

If you disagree, fine, you don't learn by having scorn as your reactionary response, though.

You’re waffling complete shite. Your original statement was that Callum McGregor would ‘walk into’ the England team. When was the last player based in Scotland to even get in an England squad? Butland has had an excellent season at Rangers and can’t even get in the squad, never mind the starting 11, despite goalkeeper being probably England’s weakest position. Matt O’Riley has been Celtic’s best midfielder this season and can’t even get in the fucking Denmark squad. 

The fact you think Southgate would pick a Celtic midfielder in his starting 11 is worthy of scorn, frankly. It’s difficult to discuss football with people who are so utterly clueless.

32 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It’s difficult to discuss football with people who are so utterly clueless.

That's why it's better off not to.

P.S.: why do you have a photo of Steven Naismith as your pic?

41 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

You’re waffling complete shite. Your original statement was that Callum McGregor would ‘walk into’ the England team. When was the last player based in Scotland to even get in an England squad? Butland has had an excellent season at Rangers and can’t even get in the squad, never mind the starting 11, despite goalkeeper being probably England’s weakest position. Matt O’Riley has been Celtic’s best midfielder this season and can’t even get in the fucking Denmark squad. 

The fact you think Southgate would pick a Celtic midfielder in his starting 11 is worthy of scorn, frankly. It’s difficult to discuss football with people who are so utterly clueless.

Fraser Forster?  That's going back about a decade now.

I know there was a period recently when we were keeping clean sheets but it amazes me that Northern Ireland, against us , and Iceland last night can keep clean sheets as if it was second nature

If Hanley plays next week it will be a massive gamble

Posted (edited)

Such a class act. A Hearts and Scotland legend.:

craig_gordon1 15m • When I was in the initial stages of my recovery I set myself four goals. The first was to be out of pain. The seriousness of the break made for complications and further procedures. I went through a lot of pain and wanted to be able to live life without it. Idid that. The second thing I wanted to achieve was to be back on my feet and able to run around the garden and play football with my children. We've done that. Many, many times and they won't let me stop now. The third goal I had was to play for Hearts again. This meant a lot to me. I did that competitively in January, having played my first friendly in November, 10 months after I broke my leg. It was a long wait, but I was ready to play the rest of the season.

The last thing I hoped to do was to make the Scotland squad again. And to put myself in a position to be at the Euros. Coming into the provisional squad I knew I hadn't got the games I needed so I trained harder, I trained well and felt, and still feel, very good. I am of course, so disappointed not to be there. Playing again for Scotland last night meant I did what I set out to do. And while it wasn't in the way I wanted, I could never turn down the opportunity to play at Hampden again. Something I have had the honour of doing for over 20 years. The circumstances were tough, it was an extremely emotional night for my family and I. But I'm grateful I got that opportunity. To become the oldest player to play for Scotland, it's a special record.

Given how long I've been doing this, I've experienced so much and I, probably more than others, know all too well, that things don't always go your way. Decisions go against you. Last night, of all nights, I wished they didn't but if a nervous 21 year old could have seen that so many years on, through some big challenges, I'd be there at 41 years old, I think I'd be very happy with that. I should have been given a smaller shirt on my debut (!), but I knew that if I played for the badge on the front, people would remember the name on the back. I hope I've done that, and will continue to do so for as long as I feel good enough. 75 caps. Thank you.

Edited by Hendricks