Line up face Germany

The whole 'beating a man' undoubtedly has a place especially for the top teams (France, Germany, Spain etc) and maybe average teams with high class wingers (Ukraine, Georgia), but for teams that don't have outstandingly talented, 'tricky' or pacy wingers (Forrest, Fraser, Morgan) it's been replaced by pass and move combination play in the wide areas high up the pitch, which as it happens we are actually pretty fucking decent at. 

In any case, even if we use Forrest (one of the 'safest' wingers out there) and the like we will still be doing mostly pass and move and working combinations to create crossing opportunities and chances, so you'll get to see Forrest passing it square and back and occasionally turning the ball over or winning a throw in trying to beat his man instead of Tony Ralston or Andy Robertson. 

For some fans it seems if you're a 'big team' you play with a back-4 and if you're playing a back-5 it's because you're a diddy.

Edited by 2426255

31 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Since we are looking at wild ideas - SSC to pull a blinder and stick Hanley upfront playing the BDD role and ragdoll the German defense for 90 mins winning every ariel ball and firing countless knockdowns to the forward pushing McGinn & McTominay

Against Switzerland in 1996 we finished with Colin Hendry up front alongside Ally McCoist. Unsurprisingly it didn't work.

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Is three posts too soon to put someone on ignore, or is further data required?

Am I going against the mainstream narrative here? Is it 5 at the back or you'll be ostracised? Wait till you hear my views on taxation.

45 minutes ago, bobby brewster said:

Am I going against the mainstream narrative here? Is it 5 at the back or you'll be ostracised? 

It's not that. What's your logic behind going to a back-4 and dropping Tierney or Robertson in favour of say Forrest? Do you have a coaching background that supports your view in differing to a successful Scottish coach and Scotland manager who has been to the top of the game.

If you are say Tam Courts in disguise on the boards it's one thing, if you're David Moyes in disguise that's another thing again, but if you're a random punter with no experience It's a bit like me telling a fireman or an engineer how to do their job. If you're just tossing your opinion out, then fine but it'll just get heaped with all the rest of the ideas (McTominay at false-9 or Christe at RWB) or if you're lucky you can come back on and tell us you got it right.

If you don't have experience that's fine, then you need a good rationale/logic in my view other than just your opinion or x is shite and y is brilliant. You're always going to have much less of the picture available to you than the manager if you're on the outside. That's just a fact.

Edited by 2426255

Couple of writers In the Daily Record thinking that Steve Clarke will play either Hendry or Forrest at right wingback.

I'd certainly trust them more than a player from Bristol City or the backup Celtic right back.

It'll be on the same side as Sane or Wirtz. I don't think many people appreciate that.

I think there's a good chance of Steve Clarke throwing a curveball and surprising people.

He's not stupid, he knows that Germany will be looking at McCrorie and Ralston and targeting them.

1 minute ago, SlayerX said:

Couple of writers In the Daily Record thinking that Steve Clarke will play either Hendry or Forrest at right wingback.

I'd certainly trust them more than a player from Bristol City or the backup Celtic right back.

It'll be on the same side as Sane or Wirtz. I don't think many people appreciate that.

I think there's a good chance of Steve Clarke throwing a curveball and surprising people.

He's not stupid, he knows that Germany will be looking at McCrorie and Ralston and targeting them.

Not sure. If they are ITK o have a decent basis for that opinion it's one thing, but if they're reporters 'playing manager' then it's another thing. Do you have the link? Anything is possible until kick off so you just can't rule anything out no matter how unlikely it seems and that's why these ideas can gain traction.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Not sure. If they are ITK o have a decent basis for that opinion it's one thing, but if they're reporters 'playing manager' then it's another thing. Do you have the link? Anything is possible until kick off so you just can't rule anything out no matter how unlikely it seems and that's why these ideas can gain traction.

Nah. I'm sure it's just their opinion/guesswork.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-throw-scotland-curveball-32992837

I do have a feeling that Steve Clarke might be trying different things in training. Everyone knows that right wingback is an issue, so a solution, even if it's just a solution to get us past the German match, must be considered.

I miss Hickey.

1 hour ago, bobby brewster said:

Am I going against the mainstream narrative here? Is it 5 at the back or you'll be ostracised? Wait till you hear my views on taxation.

Not at all. All opinions should be welcomed and respected.

It's just that you called the Tierney/Robertson thing "nonsense."

The aforementioned tactical tweak played a massive part in Scotland qualifying for the two previous Euros.

Scotland will not be equipped to play in a system that has two centerback till we have at least two playing in the top 5 leagues in the world, at top five clubs in their respective leagues.

We're playing with our current system out of necessity. Without doubt. It says it all that Tierney is our best centerback.

Actually, I'd trust a trio of Tierney, Robertson and Hickey over any combination of our centerbacks

Edited by SlayerX

9 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Not at all. All opinions should be welcomed and respected.

It's just that you called the Tierney/Robertson thing "nonsense."

The aforementioned tactical tweak played a massive part in Scotland qualifying for the two previous Euros.

Scotland will not be equipped to play in a system that has two centerback till we have at least two playing in the top 5 leagues in the world, at top five clubs in their respective leagues.

I thought you said we should always play a back three regardless of who we have because that's how we qualify for tournaments? You only mentioned it about a million times on here 

7 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Only for the first game then a proper love in for their next 2 games taking 4 or 5 off both other teams 

This, for selfish reasons and every good tournament* needs a host to do ok

Spoiler

*except, obviously Qatar. 

16 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

According to Eilidh Barbour on BBC Sport, Clarke has said there's two positions he's not made his mind up on for the starting XI on Friday.

Almost certainly Hanley/Hendry and Gilmour/Christie.

21 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

According to Eilidh Barbour on BBC Sport, Clarke has said there's two positions he's not made his mind up on for the starting XI on Friday.

That doesn't tell us much though unfortunately for the individuals. It could be any of the players for various different reasons: tactical (Christie/Gilmour), fitness (McTominay and Adams) or training (Ralston/McCrorie) etc. Taken as a whole it's probably good that 3 days out Clarke has a strong idea of what the plan is and is just finalising one or two things in his head.

That's all I really take from that to be honest.

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Almost certainly Hanley/Hendry and Gilmour/Christie.

Maybe the first one.

Gilmour is a certainty to play, though. You don't leave out your best players.