Linlithgow Rose 2024/25

41 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

It was one person who was offended when driving down Preston road going to work. That person no longer lives in Linlithgow now . So the story goes .

I dunno about that, but as part of a (much needed) wider antiracism package, partly intended to redress their roots in slavery, Greene King went through all their pub names looking for those with "racial connotations". Obviously The Black Bitch is going to jump out at anyone looking down a list.

Apparently they put together a small group of people to advise them but IIRC not one of them was from or living in Linlithgow. To a remote national company like Green King, West Lothian is all the same.

The final nail in the coffin for the name was when the GB News crowd got involved. They didn't care if the name had a racial connection or not, they're just roasters guarding statues and whining about taking the knee. Once they made a big deal about it, most folk outside the town likely assumed the name was racist.

I remember doing a massive double take the first time I drove into Linlithgow and saw the pub sign, but it takes a split second to realise it's obviously about a dog and there must be a story behind it.

Anyway, that person from the LL general discussion thread will be on here to scold us for not talking about football, so, eh, if we could sign a decent right back it would allow Jamie Allan back into midfield where he can be most effective. Or are we waiting for Webb to recover from injury? Jamie's doing a great job there but IMO he has more impact in midfield.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I dunno about that, but as part of a (much needed) wider antiracism package, partly intended to redress their roots in slavery, Greene King went through all their pub names looking for those with "racial connotations". Obviously The Black Bitch is going to jump out at anyone looking down a list.

Apparently they put together a small group of people to advise them but IIRC not one of them was from or living in Linlithgow. To a remote national company like Green King, West Lothian is all the same.

The final nail in the coffin for the name was when the GB News crowd got involved. They didn't care if the name had a racial connection or not, they're just roasters guarding statues and whining about taking the knee. Once they made a big deal about it, most folk outside the town likely assumed the name was racist.

I remember doing a massive double take the first time I drove into Linlithgow and saw the pub sign, but it takes a split second to realise it's obviously about a dog and there must be a story behind it.

Anyway, that person from the LL general discussion thread will be on here to scold us for not talking about football, so, eh, if we could sign a decent right back it would allow Jamie Allan back into midfield where he can be most effective. Or are we waiting for Webb to recover from injury? Jamie's doing a great job there but IMO he has more impact in midfield.

It wasnt just a person driving by. There were locals on FB complaining as well.

I think Henderson is a decent right back and as Webb seems to be back in a couple of months I can't see us buying a right back.

Priority has to be a centre forward but ones of the calibre we need are few and far between.

3 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

It wasnt just a person driving by. There were locals on FB complaining as well.

I think Henderson is a decent right back and as Webb seems to be back in a couple of months I can't see us buying a right back.

Priority has to be a centre forward but ones of the calibre we need are few and far between.

I think yous were spoiled for years with Tommy Coyne players like that come once in a blue moon

Do you think locals would have accepted a compromise of calling it 'The Black Dug'? To be clear I'm neutral on the issue, I think it's more nuanced than Killie fans chanting 'Black b*****ds' at Ayr fans, which can also be justified by historical meaning but has so much toxicity in the modern day it's probably not worth hanging onto.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think locals would have accepted a compromise of calling it 'The Black Dug'? To be clear I'm neutral on the issue, I think it's more nuanced than Killie fans chanting 'Black b*****ds' at Ayr fans, which can also be justified by historical meaning but has so much toxicity in the modern day it's probably not worth hanging onto.

I would have been fine with that.

Like you point out with the Ayrshire thing, it's all about context.

On 23/10/2024 at 09:37, GordonS said:

We have a RB on our books in Henderson.

I think it's more a case of Jamie being behind Maguire / McMullan for midfield - but to good to not include - whilst the know it alls will point to him playing RB at East Fife.

I'm with you in believing he's better in the midfield.

37 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

I think it's more a case of Jamie being behind Maguire / McMullan for midfield - but to good to not include - whilst the know it alls will point to him playing RB at East Fife.

Jamie would be my first choice in central mid.

47 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Has Henderson not been playing because of injury?