Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

8 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

I agree with all this.  

With the caveat that despite this they did show pretty good energy, intensity and pressing for most of last night, making a team that is technically better than us look pretty nervous a lot of the time.

I do think we are less than the sum of our parts a lot of the time.  There’s a mental hurdle to overcome before we can push on and play at the level our players should - probably getting past that old barrier of qualification from a group stage.  Once we can do that, I think we’ll see much more belief from a Scotland team.

For those of you who know anything about baseball, it’s like the Red Sox winning with World Series.  The longer you go without being able to do it, the more it’s built up in your head as being an impossible task.  Once the Red Sox won the WS, they went on and did it another couple of times.  
You could say the same for Hibs and the Scottish Cup, but we’re still waiting for them to get another one after ‘16!

Im hoping the pressure of not losing last night is lifted on Sunday and there is more freedom to play.

But the system and team need to be right to allow this to happen.

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

How did anyone feel getting the train before the fan walk last night? 

Felt it was dangerously uncomfortable trying to get onto the train. 

We tried but weren’t getting near the train/trams last night. Ended up getting Ubers to and from the stadium which cost a fucking fortune but honestly, didn’t see what else to do really. 

7 hours ago, Lex said:

The catalogue of errors starts with Hanley firing a rolling ball at Gilmour’s head from about 8 yards away, absolutely brutal stuff. From that point we are in trouble.

The Swiss quickly spot the mistake and two of them rapidly close down Gilmour, he’s in a tough spot and can only take it on his upper chest and fire a bouncing ball back towards Ralston.

Tony in turn has a Swiss guy right on top of him and he has no faith in his first touch, understandably. Whatever he’s doing he’s doing it with one touch. He actually has three options, the best of which is just rolling it down the line back to Gilmour who you can see is showing for the return pass. The worst thing that happens there is we concede a throw in our own half if he over hits it.  The second is just the foot through the ball up the line. That guarantees conceding possession but it gets the ball out our half. 
The third, never never option, is playing a one touch blind pass backwards, which is what he goes for. 

Hanley and Hendry are clearly not expecting him to do that and are both flat footed squared up when he does. 

IMG_7833.jpeg

IMG_7834.jpeg

IMG_7835.jpeg

IMG_7837.jpeg

Good post.

I know that objectively, what Ralston did was criminal, whereas what Hanley did was merely clumsy.  However, I found myself more furious with Hanley.

It was just so amateurish and the trouble all stemmed from it.

There's really no excuse for doing that with a pass when under no real pressure.  It was absolute carelessness and having got in front, it was so important that care was taken.  I find it easier to forgive panic when pressed than panic that's unprompted.

3 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Pray enlighten me what is unnecessary or shite, educate me oh wise one.

Well you admit yourself you barely watch any football and your sample size for your comments appear to be based on 90-180 minutes of football, so I have a hard time taking this "all the players are stupid as f**k and shite at football" nonsense seriously. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Well you admit yourself you barely watch any football and your sample size for your comments appear to be based on 90-180 minutes of football, so I have a hard time taking this "all the players are stupid as f**k and shite at football" nonsense seriously. 

Didnt say any football, senior football live yes. Watch loads on YouTube from around the globe.

I don't think I said exactly that, but yeah accept the sentiment.

The problem I see is trying to compare our boys with other nations and not just based on this competition, we as a nation do from what I see fall short in a number of aspects of the game.

Will happily go into details and give examples later after watching Spain and Italy.

19 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Watching Scotland is not as easy on the eye as most of the other teams on show. There is a nice flow to a lot of the football whereas Scotland is either rush/rush or too slow with no movement of players. There seems to be a fear factor comes out when playing for Scotland. Our midfield should be quite strong with all 4 Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn and McGregor decent players. Are they too worried about our defence to play their game.

Defensively very shaky, have no confidence in any of them in possession and seem to lose a fair proportion of defensive battles too.

This !