Heart of Midlothian B 2024/25

18 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

A pretty impressive result at Kelty last night.  Could be another good season for Hearts B on the cards.

They were quality. We had a mad ten minutes where we conceded 3 goals, and were off it fir parts, but Hearts were very good. Pressed ferociously & had a few gems with top ability. Gus Stevenson a stand out.

1 hour ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Looking forward to going to Hearts B's first game of the season...I take it they play at Spartans' ground?

Decent bus service to and from town to the ground? Any boozers? TIA.

Yes, Ainslie Park.

Not too many pubs in the vicinity, but the Spartans clubhouse sells beer upstairs in their canteen.

1 hour ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Looking forward to going to Hearts B's first game of the season...I take it they play at Spartans' ground?

Decent bus service to and from town to the ground? Any boozers? TIA.

Urban Village is other side of Ferry Road. More a gastro chain pub thing/hotel. Scottish Engineer might be the closest actual pub that's decent. On Telford Road... maybe a 20 min walk from the ground. 

Variety of buses approach the Crewe Toll roundabout from all directions, so easy to get close to the ground from city centre  

12 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Yes, Ainslie Park.

Not too many pubs in the vicinity, but the Spartans clubhouse sells beer upstairs in their canteen.

Sounds like I will have beers in town and then head out, then...doubt there will be many on?!

11 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Urban Village is other side of Ferry Road. More a gastro chain pub thing/hotel. Scottish Engineer might be the closest actual pub that's decent. On Telford Road... maybe a 20 min walk from the ground. 

Variety of buses approach the Crewe Toll roundabout from all directions, so easy to get close to the ground from city centre  

That's great, thanks. We're camping in Fife,. so just need to make sure I get back to town for the last train, so should be doable?! (Especially as I have a 13 year old with me!)

Makenzie Kirk off permanently to St Johnstone. He could have played as the one "overage" player this season but needs to try a higher level. James Wilson is part of the first team squad so I guess Kirk goes with our best wishes.

On the results front, the B Team continued their 100% pre-season with a 2-1 win over Burnley U21s this afternoon.

On 10/07/2024 at 22:18, Burnieman said:

Yes, Ainslie Park.

I don't think Spartans would like it been called a canteen😀

On 11/07/2024 at 10:49, barnseytheclaret said:

That's great, thanks. We're camping in Fife,. so just need to make sure I get back to town for the last train, so should be doable?! (Especially as I have a 13 year old with me!)

You will get a train back ok.

5 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

We just signed Bailey Dall, he good enough for a step up to league two?

He's 20 and played v Leyton Orient (80+ mins) and Spurs (last 25 approx) in pre-season games. Struggled V Orient with nerves but had to come on early due to injury to Ethan Drysdale (B team LB who was 1st choice last season, Dall is too old for the B team this season). Grew into the game and had a better 2nd half. OK v Spurs. 

I think he'll be fine for L2. Gets forward well and reasonably comfortable on the ball. Playing regularly at a higher level will be a good test for him, FWIW.

Hearts B have signed their goalkeeping trialist who turns out to be - drum roll - Jamie MacDonald!  We are allowed an overage goalkeeper and with the two goalkeepers left (with Liam McFarlane on loan to East Fife) both only 16 I can see why we are happy to have an experienced pro there to help the youngsters develop. Perhaps Jamie had no other offers after leaving Morton, but he is only 38 🙃.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Interesting move.  Hearts I think have stayed away from using overage players but I guess with the goalie situation it's justified for a season.

Yes, I think two 16yo goalies would be problematic but adding Jamie's experience will be of great help to their development. I did think Jamie would get plenty offers after leaving Morton but guess I was wrong!

I’ve been less negative than some about the b teams, not in the sense that I want them there, but more ‘well they are here so might as well make the best of it’.

However, signing a 38 year old goalie is not a good look to me, with their vast resources, they should be able to bring in a talented youngish keeper to develop. Not against any rules, appreciate that, but not a fan of this move at all.

39 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I’ve been less negative than some about the b teams, not in the sense that I want them there, but more ‘well they are here so might as well make the best of it’.

However, signing a 38 year old goalie is not a good look to me, with their vast resources, they should be able to bring in a talented youngish keeper to develop. Not against any rules, appreciate that, but not a fan of this move at all.

Agree with this. Always thought we done well with the B team squad but this leaves a bit of a sour taste