We need to talk about Steve

Ok 4 years ago I started a thread looking to get rid of Mr Clarke. Since the he's had some good results, but not for quite a while.

We're very very bad and we're getting worse, worst team at the euros without a doubt. Most negative team at the euros, without a doubt.

Worst defeat ever in an opening game, lowest shots/goals at the tournament. It's a shambles and it's embarrassing.

I've had quite a few pm's from folk apologising, thats nice but tbh I don't need that. I'd rather I had been wrong obviously.

Were all scotland fans so let's think what is best for scotland.

Some of our players have 1 maybe 2 campaigns left, time is not on our side with this. We stick or twist, we had more than enough information to know what we get with stick. We get pumped, we get embarrassed.

You can't blame the players, Mckenna can't do what Tierney does. He was asked to, yet the information was there that he couldn't. Adams can't do anything with balls flying over his head. McTominay and Mcginn are expected to dribble past 4/5 players to score or create. We can't go on like this. It's not fair on the players and it's not fair on us.

I've been accused in the past of having some kind of personal dislike for steve, I don't know the guy. I've never had anything personal to say about him.

But in terms of football only what we know is under the pressure of the big games he absolutely crumbles. Packs his defence and hopes to score from a corner.

If he decides to stay on he's not thinking about what's best for us. And it would then be a selfish move. He will know himself he's out his depth.

Hopefully he does the right thing.

Let's start again, not Moyes or McInnis. Let's think outside the box, get the cheque book out and get a good manager in. One who can win games as well as trying not to lose.

2 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

If Clarke goes I cabn see the SFA appointing Malky McKay. Just saying.

If that’s the case I’d just keep Clarke.

I want either Moyes or a young, ambitious, foreign coach. 

5 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

If Clarke goes I cabn see the SFA appointing Malky McKay. Just saying.

Cmon man, that's not based on any kind of reality.

Let's not start saying the absolute worst candidates are the only candidates as a defence.

Scotland manager is a tough job. Even tougher if you don't have the fans and media (to an extent) onside. 

We could keep Clarke, but then he's under immediate pressure if we don't do much in the autumn fixtures. These are tough tough fixtures and could push us further down the seeding for the World Cup draw in December. 

Or we could give it to Moyes. I think he'll take it. But you wait till November and we've been cuffed in 4 or 5 Nations League matches and Moyes has been picked up by a PL or Championship team then I'm not sure what you do. 

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Cmon man, that's not based on any kind of reality.

Let's not start saying the absolute worst candidates are the only candidates as a defence.

I was kinda joking, but there's a serious point behind it. The SFA are neither ambitious nor innovative.

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Ok 4 years ago I started a thread looking to get rid of Mr Clarke. Since the he's had some good results, but not for quite a while.

We're very very bad and we're getting worse, worst team at the euros without a doubt. Most negative team at the euros, without a doubt.

Worst defeat ever in an opening game, lowest shots/goals at the tournament. It's a shambles and it's embarrassing.

I've had quite a few pm's from folk apologising, thats nice but tbh I don't need that. I'd rather I had been wrong obviously.

Were all scotland fans so let's think what is best for scotland.

Some of our players have 1 maybe 2 campaigns left, time is not on our side with this. We stick or twist, we had more than enough information to know what we get with stick. We get pumped, we get embarrassed.

You can't blame the players, Mckenna can't do what Tierney does. He was asked to, yet the information was there that he couldn't. Adams can't do anything with balls flying over his head. McTominay and Mcginn are expected to dribble past 4/5 players to score or create. We can't go on like this. It's not fair on the players and it's not fair on us.

I've been accused in the past of having some kind of personal dislike for steve, I don't know the guy. I've never had anything personal to say about him.

But in terms of football only what we know is under the pressure of the big games he absolutely crumbles. Packs his defence and hopes to score from a corner.

If he decides to stay on he's not thinking about what's best for us. And it would then be a selfish move. He will know himself he's out his depth.

Hopefully he does the right thing.

Let's start again, not Moyes or McInnis. Let's think outside the box, get the cheque book out and get a good manager in. One who can win games as well as trying not to lose.

You can still be wrong at the time though, with things potentially starting to change later on…

1 hour ago, Piehutt said:

Scotland manager is a tough job. Even tougher if you don't have the fans and media (to an extent) onside. 

We could keep Clarke, but then he's under immediate pressure if we don't do much in the autumn fixtures. These are tough tough fixtures and could push us further down the seeding for the World Cup draw in December. 

Or we could give it to Moyes. I think he'll take it. But you wait till November and we've been cuffed in 4 or 5 Nations League matches and Moyes has been picked up by a PL or Championship team then I'm not sure what you do. 

Well not really is it, It's alot of money for very little in terms of hours and days. In terms of financial rewards and work life balance there will be very few jobs in Scotland if any that can match it.

Sure your under pressure if you do badly, you knew that when you took the job tho.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

You can still be wrong at the time though, with things potentially starting to change later on…

Well yeah, it's irrelevant to me wether I was right or wrong. We don't have anything to show what would have happened had we changed managers.

Now it's at the point of change, I'm not sure there's many who would disagree.

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well yeah, it's irrelevant to me wether I was right or wrong. We don't have anything to show what would have happened had we changed managers.

Now it's at the point of change, I'm not sure there's many who would disagree.

Fair enough - his limitations in getting the best out of a side going forward have certainly been exposed. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Fair enough - his limitations in getting the best out of a side going forward have certainly been exposed. 

I still don't think steve is necessarily a bad coach. He's got alot of good qualities and with the right club he can do well. But for us he's not got enough in his locker to win when we really need to.

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

Merge this thread with the other one ffs

I reckon this one deserves a fresh start tbh.

The other one is a car crash anyway and all Euro 2020 centric. Better to make it a clean slate in this new thread.

And FWIW I'm 50/50 on Clarke. He's proved he's a good manager for getting us through qualification groups and NL, but has yet to really land a blow at tournament level. The England draw was probably the high point of 6 otherwise feeble->okay showings

22 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I reckon this one deserves a fresh start tbh.

The other one is a car crash anyway and all Euro 2020 centric. Better to make it a clean slate in this new thread.

And FWIW I'm 50/50 on Clarke. He's proved he's a good manager for getting us through qualification groups and NL, but has yet to really land a blow at tournament level. The England draw was probably the high point of 6 otherwise feeble->okay showings

Maybe clarke for qualification and I'll step in for the tournament 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Maybe clarke for qualification and I'll step in for the tournament 🤷‍♂️

Genuinely that crossed my mind - you and numbers as your #2 (wee bust up on the touchline to keep us all entertained).

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Genuinely that crossed my mind - you and numbers as your #2 (wee bust up on the touchline to keep us all entertained).

Numbers as a number 2? What like as a shit I've done? Yeah I can see that