Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can’t see Clarke leaving the post. Equally I don’t think the SFA have any great desire to terminate his contract.  They will probably point to qualifying for the last two Euros as progress.

To be fair to the SFA and Clarke, we would have bitten a tramps arm off for that return 5-10 years ago. 

However, with this relative success, we are now in a position where we don’t just want to qualify for the competition, but want to get out of the group. It is almost like the ‘good old days’. That is why I think both parties will stick with what we have until the end of the next World Cup cycle, at least. 

Edited by qos_75

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cesare Prandelli publicly declared interest last time. His stock isn't as high as it once was but I'd still take him. But the bigger point is that it shows there's a decent level of quality manager out there.

He’s had more clubs than hot dinners. 

2 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

However, with this relative success, we are now in a position where we don’t just want to qualify for the competition, but want to get out of the group. It is almost like the ‘good old days’.

It's exactly like the good old days. Individual players who are worse than the sum of their parts, being led by a favourite of the SFA blazers whose job is mostly to stand there for three games watching teams absolutely pump us.

Is it a step up from drawing with Israel and needing 96th-minute winners against Lithuania? Yes, but not much of one.

10 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

However, with this relative success, we are now in a position where we don’t just want to qualify for the competition, but want to get out of the group. It is almost like the ‘good old days’. That is why I think both parties will stick with what we have until the end of the next World Cup cycle, at least. 

It's just shifting the goalposts. Fans expectations are always closer to the maximum and are more fluid. Even at the start of Euro-2024 qualifying no-one was saying he has to get us out the group and that has to be how success is measured. I think everyone was looking for us to qualify first, then once he had achieved it the goalposts for success changed for the fans, but not for the SFA.

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fans expectations are always closer to the maximum and are more fluid. Even at the start of Euro-2024 qualifying no-one was saying he has to get us out the group and that has to be how success is measured.

Everyone was still absolutely expecting it to not be the absolutely pointless endeavour as the previous tournament though, and last night was inexcusably bad considering the context.

3 hours ago, David Merdy's Boots said:

Anyone but Deek please, leave him where he is.  I have no names to offer, but someone who might actually implement some sort of positive attacking system would be absolutely wonderful.  I don't think there are any Scottish managers who would do that, and I fear the SFA will not consider hiring a foreigner. For some bizarre reason, they seem to tar all foreigners with the Bertie Vogts brush despite so many examples of much more successful international teams who have a foreign coach.

I do not remember Walter Smith having a positive attacking system.

He might even have had better defenders to have SSC

I was tempted to go for Yogi as normal but this situation is serious. It demands a serious answer. Foreign candidate for me. I’m sick to death of Scottish c***s playing it canny until the 75th minute before some ham-fisted attempt to win the game.

Someone who has taken a small nation to a tournament and then managed to get past the group stages in a tournament in recent times.

The dentist from Iceland 🇮🇸 , Heimer Hallgrimsson is currently coaching Jamaica. Get him and Lars Lagerbeck.

Failing that, the Danish manager or the Croatian manager, or the manager of any nation under 5 million people who has managed to get his country to a tournament and then through a group stage.

I want proven international experience. Not some Scottish lad who hasn’t a clue about managing at international level.

Edited by Scary Bear

If we’re going for high profile appointments from overseas, I want a forward who has managed at international level, so someone like Van Basten. Not sure he’s managed anyone for about ten years though.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Stuart Baxter?

I think he’s hanging out at the same bar Yogi’s at. The Shree Sisters.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Iain said:

Is he still alive? Must be about 90 now.

Just checked there, 77 later this year.