Scotland starting XI the future.

5 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I broadly agree with you but with that win against Portugal (whose second string are still a very good team who should have been able to win) at a major finals, they achieved something we haven't managed in 28 years.  So I think it's valid to discuss how they managed it, especially if they are not as good as us (as the qualifiers showed). My draft theory is that they did it by attacking, and having a coach who isn't a massive breeks-soiler at finals.

I also think they might start to contend to qualify by regular routes in future as they are clearly producing some talented players, who will now have more belief.

Not saying there's not something in that but drawing some line in the Steve Clarke in/out proxy war where on one side either Georgia are crap but outperformed us because they were more attacking or that they actually have better players than us is ignoring a fair chunk of nuance. not least that they basically got one good result and that result came with an extremely weighty asterisk beside it.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Not saying there's not something in that but drawing some line in the Steve Clarke in/out proxy war where on one side either Georgia are crap but outperformed us because they were more attacking or that they actually have better players than us is ignoring a fair chunk of nuance. not least that they basically got one good result and that result came with an extremely weighty asterisk beside it.

Again, mostly agree, and this is probably a bit of a blind alley, but I think the contrast is apt because of the way they played. Some of the nuance is that they gave Turkey a right good game and could/should have equalised at the death and drawn 2-2.  They were fortunate to qualify and just went for it. They showed the sort of determination, belief and attacking verve we could only dream of in our three games, which ranged from stodgy at best to flat-out humiliation.

20 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Again, mostly agree, and this is probably a bit of a blind alley, but I think the contrast is apt because of the way they played. Some of the nuance is that they gave Turkey a right good game and could/should have equalised at the death and drawn 2-2.  They were fortunate to qualify and just went for it. They showed the sort of determination, belief and attacking verve we could only dream of in our three games, which ranged from stodgy at best to flat-out humiliation.

Yeah, ultimately, I think Georgia did more with what they have than we did, without doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rory Wilson is apparently on the radar of some big clubs like Inter and Leverkusen

I've kept an eye out for him in pre-season but it seems he's still with the u21s (got player of the tournament and top scorer in a 21s competition in Germany)

From the gossip I've read it would appear he doesn't want to sign a new deal with Villa due to the lack of a pathway.

35 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Rory Wilson is apparently on the radar of some big clubs like Inter and Leverkusen

I've kept an eye out for him in pre-season but it seems he's still with the u21s (got player of the tournament and top scorer in a 21s competition in Germany)

From the gossip I've read it would appear he doesn't want to sign a new deal with Villa due to the lack of a pathway.

He really needs to play senior games soon, rather than dossing about youth sides.

He turns 19 this season and never seems to have played above u21 level.

Yeh agree. From what I can see he seems to be an incredible natural finisher but lacking a bit physically for the top end of the Barclays. Either a loan to get some games against men or leave permanently for a less physical league seems to be the option.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Archie Gray has a 15 year old brother, Harry Gray. He's a striker. At Leeds.

Probably another one we've lost to England.

Not sure you can class someone born in England to an English mother and second generation Scottish father as one we've 'lost' - if he played for us he would be one England have lost IMO.

He's 15 though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Nelson at Leicester looking to leave before the window to a Championship team on loan, probably Bristol City.

Currently in the England U-20 side but eligible and last played with us at U-16. Played 5 times for Leicester last season in the Championship, 6'4" centre-half. Worth keeping an eye on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously Hickey would play RB if he was fit. I'd actually be tempted to play a healthy Tierney at LCB in a back four ahead of McKenna. I know he hasn't played it very often but the following two statements are both true IMO:

- A healthy Kieran Tierney belongs in our starting XI.

- Tierney is injured often enough that we shouldn't be designing our system around him.