Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

and is also contrary to actual decisions we see made on a football pitch.

Well no, it isn't, or you'd see every instance of a defender holding a shirt being penalised which it quite clearly is not.

A player who has a hold of an opponents jersey but is not impeding him in any way is not commiting an offence.

I don't really care if you don't believe me, it's only going to be you who is confused when a player isn't penalised for having a handful of a player's shirt in future.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t mind Tyldesley outwith the England references when they’re not playing. He’s miles better than Sam wankerface and a screeching vicky sparks. I’d say he’s the best itv have got.

Christina Unkel.

I don’t always agree with her and think she often appears to just back the refs decision, but she talks really well and clearly.

She obviously knows her subject, and compare how well she communicates and makes her point compared to Lee Dixon, Martin Kepwn, Rio Ferdinand, Eniola Aluko, Micah Richards, Alex Scott and many others.

if asked to explain why a contentious handball or something similar resulted in a penalty, Fedinand would include "bottle", "sass" and "locker" in his response. 

5 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Obviously as I'm not a VL my preferred option is still to bin VAR, but given that's not happening I actually think I'm coming round to the opinion- which I would previously have attributed only to Yank xG types- that penalties for handball should only be given for what would currently be red card offences like Suarez vs Ghana.  

Everything else like the dozens of penalties a season that get awarded for a cross skiffing off someone's arm, if you're going to penalise them give an indirect free kick. You're punishing a trivial offence with an 80% chance of a goal. 

I know offside is a yes/no decision but with VAR its absolutely not what the law was intended for. An attacker getting a 3 yard head start on a defender to chase a through ball ? That's offside. Someone being 2 inches ahead makes no difference in 99.99999% of scenarios. 

I don't know how you fix this other than binning VAR tho, moving the line to be clear daylight is possible (and level was offside until 1990 so it can be moved) but just seems like you'd have the same issues. 

Based on the fallacy that the technology is good enough to determine this.  

8 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Exactly, all the gammons down south will be in a frothing range that a beer from across the pond is considered officially their beer instead of the CAMRA stuff, or even something brewed up in Steve from Sarf Lahdon's basement (although it probably also drinks better than Budweiser...)

I am not in the demographic that thinks it is an affront to Englishness, which I could not even define if you asked me.  However, I do find it a bit sad that we have an ex-player of repute who has to cash in on corporate gigs whenever there is a tournament, when EPL players can set themselves up for life.  Also, it reinforces the message that everything about English football is for sale in the global marketplace.  Whether someone should be asking for their money back, based on the quality of the footballing product, is another story🙂

3 hours ago, Pocketman said:

if asked to explain why a contentious handball or something similar resulted in a penalty, Fedinand would include "bottle", "sass" and "locker" in his response. 

Some more top Rio bantz here for you

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Moving the line is pointless as it doesn't actually solve anything. As you note it just moves the point at which an attacker is an inch offside, and we'd have the same "toenail" chat. It would also be more difficult for assistant referees in non VAR environments IMO.

I'm not convinced offside needs solving either, that it can sometimes be incredibly marginal just needs accepting. "Being closer to your opponent's goal than both the ball and the second last defender" is a black and white decision whether we like it or not.

I don't agree. If the rule was changed to the 'whole body must be offside' then it would stop being a toenail, knee or even nose and more likely a 'heel'.  While we would still have disagreements, the attacker would be more 'obviously' offside from a fan's point of view , which I think people would find more acceptable.   

Just realised as I type, that the defender's toenails/nose/arse might come into the equation. 🤔  I still think it would be an improvement.

As for handball, last night's instance didn't even affect the flight of the ball.  IMO It should be the ref who decides, based on the old interpretation of the 'ball playing the man'. We would need  refs who are perceived by the fans to be honest and unbiased. 😂😂😂 

7 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I don't agree. If the rule was changed to the 'whole body must be offside' then it would stop being a toenail, knee or even nose and more likely a 'heel'

No it wouldn't. The fine margins of what is or isn't offside would still exist. Arguably, for fans in the ground, it would be even worse.

7 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Which I think people would find more acceptable.

Wholly disagree. As soon as it happens for the first time the same chat as now would begin.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

No it wouldn't. The fine margins of what is or isn't offside would still exist. Arguably, for fans in the ground, it would be even worse.

Wholly disagree. As soon as it happens for the first time the same chat as now would begin.

That's fine, I wholly disagree with you, too.  

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This simply isn't true. Pulling someone's shirt 90 yards from the ball is still a foul. VAR might not choose to intervene on ones which don't directly impact the ball on the "obvious error" basis, but it is absolutely still a foul.

If they tattooed the team colours onto the players, that would stop shirt pulling.  And transfers. 

Oh,   'transfers' could be used instead of tattoos.

Or very flimsy shirts that just come apart when pulled.  

15 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

He also said Italy have a mountain to climb. The Swiss have even more 🤔😉

The Alps are found in the following countries: Austria (28.7 % of the range's area), Italy (27.2%), France (21.4 %), Switzerland (13.2 %), Germany (5.8 %), Slovenia (3.6 %), Liechtenstein (0.08%) and Monaco (0.001 %).   

😉

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Surely the Nigels cruise to victory today? -1 will be getting lumped on.

They should, but they have been so lethargic I wouldn't be putting money on them especially at the odds available. 

Bellingham looks exhausted and Kane just isn't right. Nigel Cardigan won't drop them though.

If he brings in Ainoo and Palmer i can see them being a bit more energetic.

Could be all part of Nigel Cardigan's master-plan and they will get out of second gear now the knockout stages are at hand.

However it isnt always easy to shake off a poor run of permonances going from the preparation games into the group stages.

Just look at Scotland & Italy for examples of that. England do have a better squad obviously.

i can still see it being a performance far from what the Nigels expect.

Could even go to extra-time & penalties.

27 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

The Alps are found in the following countries: Austria (28.7 % of the range's area), Italy (27.2%), France (21.4 %), Switzerland (13.2 %), Germany (5.8 %), Slovenia (3.6 %), Liechtenstein (0.08%) and Monaco (0.001 %).   

😉

Most of the highest peaks are in Switzerland 🇨🇭 

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Which seems a massive upgrade on the previous 'draw squinty lines on an image' approach

That just shows a complete ignorance of how VAR manually determines offside. 

39 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Surely the Nigels cruise to victory today? -1 will be getting lumped on.

I wouldn’t bother with that. Just adds to the annoyance of their inevitable 1-0 win.