Who will you definitely finish above? The bookmark thread

On 26/06/2024 at 09:52, hk blues said:

Surely every fan of every other team in the league is, even though they might not admit it?

If your from Perth please disregard

Can’t see past St Johnstone for 12th place

Other than that who knows

Id like to think we’ll be clear of the bottom four but a lot will depend on whether Messrs Cameron and McCowan are still on board for the season. With them County, Well, St Johnstone and Utd at least should be in the rear view mirror Hibs also possibly 4th place not impossible but probably too much of an ask over a season 

Motherwell likely to have a very different looking team next season so it's kind hard to say with any certainty.

However St Johnstone look like a goldfish that's started swimming sideways.

Will be interesting to see how Dundee do since about half their squad was loans last season.

15 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Motherwell likely to have a very different looking team next season so it's kind hard to say with any certainty.

However St Johnstone look like a goldfish that's started swimming sideways.

Will be interesting to see how Dundee do since about half their squad was loans last season.

Even better than last as we'll be able to attract a better class of loanee.

That's the theory. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Even better than last as we'll be able to attract a better class of loanee.

That's the theory. 

What makes you think you will be able to attract a better class of loan player than last year? 

1 minute ago, Glen Scotia said:

What makes you think you will be able to attract a better class of loan player than last year? 

Because we have a successful campaign under our belt.  I'd say we are a more attractive option now than we were 12 months ago.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Because we have a successful campaign under our belt.  I'd say we are a more attractive option now than we were 12 months ago.

I'm not sure that's how players or other clubs would look at it to be honest. European football maybe would help but you are In the exact same position as you were last season and ultimately it comes down to money 

Edited by Glen Scotia
Edit

7 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I'm not sure that's how players or other clubs would look at it to be honest. European football maybe would help but you are In the exact same position as you were last season and ultimately it comes down to money 

Money is less of an issue with loanees as the parent club have already committed to the salary and anything the other party offers is a contribution to that rather than going into the player's pocket as far as I understand it.  It's not like we're in the market where even loans attract a fee. 

I stick by my belief that a successful (1st) season under our belt makes us a more attractive option than last year when we had done nothing to dispel the theory/myth we're a yo-yo club.  

I did say 'That's the theory' to end my post. 

On 04/07/2024 at 08:47, hk blues said:

Money is less of an issue with loanees as the parent club have already committed to the salary and anything the other party offers is a contribution to that rather than going into the player's pocket as far as I understand it.  It's not like we're in the market where even loans attract a fee. 

That has an element of truth, but if your offering a lower percentage contribution for a loan player than another club there's not a chance the club which they are registered for is accepting your loan offer over the higher paying club

30 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That has an element of truth, but if your offering a lower percentage contribution for a loan player than another club there's not a chance the club which they are registered for is accepting your loan offer over the higher paying club

Everything comes down to money in this game, sadly 

On 06/07/2024 at 03:42, parsforlife said:

Yep, that's a given but to a lesser extent than with transfers when it's all about the money rather than it just being a contributing factor. 

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2024 at 20:42, parsforlife said:

I think this is the first time in my life I've had inside info about anything, but I've got a mate who is on the coaching staff with the Man City youth teams.

He's talked about loans before, and for Premier League teams the percentage of wage covered or the fee doesn't really make any difference when it comes to players going to clubs in the Scottish Premiership. Whatever the sum, whether it's Dundee offering 25% or St Mirren offering to cover 40% it really makes no difference to anything. It's not going to have a material impact on a Premier League club's finances, so they'll probably look at the quality of the loan.

It comes down to the level they want the player playing at, the style of play and how likely the player is to play in the position they want, then the relationship they have with that club/coach. So, in this case, Dundee having had a successful loan from Liverpool last year would make Liverpool more likely to be happy to see a player go there again. Makes sense, really. And if Dundee are up against Motherwell for a player, that success last year might tip it in their favour, even from another club. The impact is short-term, and probably ends when they change manager, but it is real.

All things being equal, of course the money will talk. But if it's not a massive difference, then successful loans will get you more players.

Edited by DoingThe42

14 hours ago, DoingThe42 said:

Whatever the sum, whether it's Dundee offering 25% or St Mirren offering to cover 40% it really makes no difference to anything. It's not going to have a material impact on a Premier League club's finances, so they'll probably look at the quality of the loan.

That's my line of thinking. 

15 hours ago, DoingThe42 said:

for Premier League teams the percentage of wage covered or the fee doesn't really make any difference when it comes to players going to clubs in the Scottish Premiership. Whatever the sum, whether it's Dundee offering 25% or St Mirren offering to cover 40% it really makes no difference to anything. 

Im not denying what your friend has told you, however, Why would the likes Dundee and St. Mirren (as mentioned) make any wage contribution at all then if it makes no difference?