24th out of 24

On 30/06/2024 at 14:43, 2426255 said:

I am definitely generalising wrt fans. I dont have a negative view of all fans. Most of them? yeah probably.

I cringe at the majority of England fans views on their team and manager, but I don't think Scotland fans, in general, are any different in that respect.

I always look in detail back over the games to fully understand them. I haven't finished that as I spread it between camps: 5-10 minutes here and there looking at different aspects of performance.

Clarke has said that they attempting to improve, evolve and progress as a team. We have done all of those things and we are trying to make the final step.

The ambition is there, but sometimes you take a step in wrong direction and then you have to get back on the track.

How exactly is Clarke going to get us back on track when all he does is repeat what no longer works constantly ?

This is no longer a "step", it's been a sharp downward spiral for a dozen games. Never mind next level stuff, it's falling off the cliff stuff. I can see no effort by him to identify and then try to resolve what has gone wrong here. There was virtually no attempt to try anything new in the umpteen games in the lead up (some of which were terrible decisions in themselves opposition wise). Why not try the likes of Morgan and Conway when he had the chance. Likewise try a few different formations. The vague / cryptic answers when asked about eligibility of players was also nonsense. He either asked them or he didn't so why not just say that. 

If he hasn't a willingness to try anything different then it's difficult to defend his position. 

Posted (edited)

Football is a game of fractions.

If Grant Hanley scored instead of hitting the post against Switzerland and we were rightfully awarded the penalty and scored it against Hungary then Scotland would've finished the group with 6 points.

All these Scotland fans wanting Steve Clarke gone are just as bad as the England fans who want Gareth Southgate gone.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

(West Ham's fans will realise this when their shiny new attacking manager is fired and they toss out another SOS to David Moyes, who the fans wanted out)

Edited by Chripper

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

If Grant Hanley scored instead of hitting the post against Switzerland and we were rightfully awarded the penalty and scored it against Hungary then Scotland would've finished the group with 6 points

This isn't how reality works.

If Grant Hanley scored instead of hitting the post against Switzerland and we were rightfully awarded the penalty and scored it against Hungary then Scotland would've finished the group with 6 points.

All these Scotland fans wanting Steve Clarke gone are just as bad as the England fans who want Gareth Southgate gone.

Of course you could just as easily point to other “fractions”, like when Hungary hit the post.

Ultimately, a team that underperforms and barely creates anything of note over 3 full matches is extremely unlikely to progress from a group. And so it proved with Scotland. 

Love takes like this 😄

Conveniently ignores all the things that went for us in the three games - our two freak goals, the very marginal offsides lading to goals for the opponents being disallowed by VAR, Gunn making several good saves in the final two games, The Swiss somehow missing a free header from six yards out in the final minute, Hungary hitting the post and bar before they scored etc etc. 

But if we got a penalty that wasn't a penalty and was either offside or very close to being offside, scored the penalty and then held on against a Hungarian onslaught... and Hanley scored and we held on against The subsequent Swiss onslaught..

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

How exactly is Clarke going to get us back on track when all he does is repeat what no longer works constantly ?

I can see no effort by him to identify and then try to resolve what has gone wrong here. There was virtually no attempt to try anything new in the umpteen games in the lead up.

If he hasn't a willingness to try anything different then it's difficult to defend his position. 

Clarke has tried different things in these last 2 games (Germany was a write-off) and before that to be fair. Mostly tweaks.

One quick example is the positions Robertson and McTominay were taking up. I haven't finished pulling it together, but it's there so you can see for yourself. It's obvious in both matches after 15-20 minutes, so you don't have to watch the full thing.

There's other stuff, but I want to finish looking at it.

Edited by 2426255

Here's a depressing wee game I've been playing in my head....

Take any team apart from Scotland at Euro 2024,

Take that team's most special moment at just this tournament,

Consider Scotland's most special moment in our entire history of tournament football,

Compare the two, and decide whether Scotland have EVER had a special moment in tournament football which can exceed ANY other team's most special moment in this tournament alone.

I reckon you could make a case against it. It'll depress you. Don't play it!

(Winning by-kicks doesn't count)

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, I'm not sure we've ever had a moment which could match that time Poland scored a penalty equaliser in a dead-rubber against France.

*re-taken

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, allyo said:

Consider Scotland's most special moment in our entire history of tournament football,

Compare the two, and decide whether Scotland have EVER had a special moment in tournament football which can exceed ANY other team's most special moment in this tournament alone.

Archie Gemmil’s goal against the Netherlands in Argentina in ‘78 to put us 3-1 up is one of the greatest goals and most special moments I’ve ever seen in any tournament for any team, let alone for Scotland. Ultimately we didn’t win by the required margin, and the Peru and Iran games were hugely disappointing, but that was a special moment nonetheless.

Edited by Frankie S

14 minutes ago, allyo said:

Serbia, Czech Rep, Poland.

Archie Gemmill's bubble was burst after 5 minutes. Fair enough it was a "moment", but I'd swap it for something that's happened to virtually every other team in this tournament. End of that game was misery.

Serbia scored an injury time equaliser to keep them in the tournament. Imagine the scenes. I'd take that over Gemmill's goal.

5 minutes ago, allyo said:

Serbia scored an injury time equaliser to keep them in the tournament. Imagine the scenes. I'd take that over Gemmill's goal.

That goal made absolutely no difference to Serbia, they wouldn't have been out even if they had lost 1-0, and they'd still have had to beat Denmark in their final game to qualify.

Posted (edited)

I don't think that's true. There was a general view that 4 points was needed to qualify. No one in Serbia at the end of that game was thinking, you know what, it probably makes no difference.

Eta, or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure. 😜 

Edited by allyo

On 02/07/2024 at 01:42, Chripper said:

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

(West Ham's fans will realise this when their shiny new attacking manager is fired and they toss out another SOS to David Moyes, who the fans wanted out)

No it isn't.  It's about trying to score goals and Scotland made very little attempt at doing that in their 3 games.  Hence the single point won and finishing comfortably bottom of the group.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I don't think that's true. There was a general view that 4 points was needed to qualify. No one in Serbia at the end of that game was thinking, you know what, it probably makes no difference.

Eta, or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure. 😜 

Scotland have gotten results that kept us in tournaments that ultimately didn't work out in the end. At least equivalent to that moment for the Serbs.