What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

This is pretty shocking tbh.  Still funny mind you.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-members-suspended-jeremy-corbyn-motion-bristol-b1722437.html

Starmer must think he can completely silence the Labour left.  All this will do will keep the tensions to the fore and in the public eye.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've no idea whether he did. But, in any case, no edition of Prime Minister's Question Time has every made even the vaguest difference to an election, ever.

I don't think that is true.  PMQs is the one time when opposition leaders can show if they are up to the task or not.

A weak performance is seen as weak leadership.  Repeated often enough and lots of people reach their own conclusions on whether someone is fit to be prime minister, regardless of whatever subjects are being debated.

On 14/11/2020 at 11:46, Bully Wee Villa said:

Other than political obsessives who always know how they're going to vote anyway, I can't remember anyone ever mentioning PMQs to me. Maybe they might if it was on in the evening rather than the middle of the working day.

It's a bit like people who say they won't decide who to vote for until they read the manifestos. Closet Tories to a man imo, and never read a manifesto in their lives.

It's a bit like people who say they won't decide who to vote for until they read the manifestos. Closet Tories to a man imo, and never read a manifesto in their lives.

Yeah, people that claim this or put any stock in PMQs are just trying to signal something about themselves. At the same time I tend to find people that overly care about PMQs care more about the pageantry of politics than the material impact.

Not about PMQs but on the people who have that mindset, on the stakes of parliament and the point of engaging, and any excuse to share one of my favourite Mark Fisher passages.

IMG_5093.thumb.jpg.587a64268547b76ee1860bd46931ec61.jpg

25 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Yeah, people that claim this or put any stock in PMQs are just trying to signal something about themselves. At the same time I tend to find people that overly care about PMQs care more about the pageantry of politics than the material impact.

Not about PMQs but on the people who have that mindset, on the stakes of parliament and the point of engaging, and any excuse to share one of my favourite Mark Fisher passages.

IMG_5093.thumb.jpg.587a64268547b76ee1860bd46931ec61.jpg

Aye, it was either that or Neil and Michael ganging up on Diane for lols. These skits they had were fucking unbearable, your boring uncle pretending to be whacky at Christmas, What am I like!!??!!!

Aye, it was either that or Neil and Michael ganging up on Diane for lols. These skits they had were fucking unbearable, your boring uncle pretending to be whacky at Christmas, What am I like!!??!!!

Loathsome. I tuned in a fair whack in the early days of the coalition when I was like 18 and thought that watching this shit was how to be clever. Sitting watching some guy dressed up to look like Postman Pat doing a skit to explain the ramifications of the Royal Mail sell off.

Basically I was this tweet.

IMG_5096.jpg

23 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

nailed it with regards to This Week.

image-1.jpg.7058604fc5363919fc92c29843dce1b6.jpg

Saw that, couldn't remember who it was. Heroic.

At the end of the show, which makes frequent references to Neil’s apparent taste for ‘Blue Nun’ wine, the three recreated a dance craze known as ‘skibidi’, while Gillespie looked on stony faced.

He wrote: “My line of reasoning was that here in the U.K. we are not progressing but regressing back to the social inequalities of the 1930’s due to the failure of 40 years of Free Market Capitalism, and tying that in with the rise of Fascism in Europe & all over the world.

“I was immediately cut off by Andrew Neil who quickly handed the question over to Michael Portillo. I never got to say what I fully wanted, my impression was that Andrew Neil sensed an alternative opinion that he didn’t want to hear and closed me down.
I found him to be arrogant, rude & smug.”

Gillespie went on to say that the attitude of the production team on the show towards him had ‘changed’ after he indicated he wouldn’t take part in the dancing segment at the end of the show.

He added: “After it finished, the Labour M.P. Caroline Flint joined Michael Portillo, Andrew Neil & the Producer / crew as they cracked open the Champagne ( or Wine? ) and toasted each other, it was a sickening sight.”

Edited by welshbairn

Leonard takes his usual 10m to deliver a Q at FMQ regarding some woman who has booked a holiday to Tenerife saying she was confused by the new regs coming in tomorrow and should she go. He's fully expecting a firm "no one should be travelling abroad at this time" as NS gets to her feet to tell Leonard the same woman has also written to NS and she has replied to her that due to her particular circumstances she can go and enjoy her well earned rest. He looked genuinely deflated like a balloon going down.

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Leonard takes his usual 10m to deliver a Q at FMQ regarding some woman who has booked a holiday to Tenerife saying she was confused by the new regs coming in tomorrow and should she go. He's fully expecting a firm "no one should be travelling abroad at this time" as NS gets to her feet to tell Leonard the same woman has also written to NS and she has replied to her that due to her particular circumstances she can go and enjoy her well earned rest. He looked genuinely deflated like a balloon going down.

I think Nicola Sturgeon over exaggerated a bit with the "well earned rest" part when she wrote to Jackie Bailie tbh.

What’s the patter here? I genuinely don’t get it. Do people need to ask Sturgeon if they qualify for a wee holiday?

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What’s the patter here? I genuinely don’t get it. Do people need to ask Sturgeon if they qualify for a wee holiday?

It was a woman with terminal cancer wanting a probable last holiday asking along with the Daily Record whether she could go. The rules are that she can, she didn't have to ask Nicola for permission.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It was a woman with terminal cancer wanting a probable last holiday asking along with the Daily Record whether she could go. The rules are that she can, she didn't have to ask Nicola for permission.

The very fact that they would even sink so low as to make a political weapon out of a terminally ill person during this time is beyond horrendous.