What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

12 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The alpaca needs to be killed. No ifs, no buts, no equivocations. 

I dare say it is very sad for the owners, but I had to laugh when I saw that they wanted talks in Downing Street about the wretched animal.  Pandemic, Afghanistan, Brexit, Belarus, spies in Germany, Biden asking for oil production to increase in the face of global warming, anti-vaxxers, covid deniers, GBNews, (Old Firm out of the Champions League 😳) ... and the owners want talks with Ministers about a fekking ALPACA? 

Get it shot before the damn thing dies of TB, or ends up on a stamp. 

Firm, but fair. 

Missing a trick by not killing the Alpaca proudly in the name of the Big British Beef industry... (throw in Brexit for full alliteration).. this is all too apologetic right now. Stick a UK flag on the cows and a EU one on Geronimo.

Hopefully we get someone on Question Time tonight asking the politicians if they would slaughter the animal themselves personally to save the cows. Would you press the button if it came down to it?!

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Starmer became Labour leader in April 2020.  I accept that the pandemic has changed the nature of politics, nonetheless there have been opportunities for Starmer to assert himself and challenge Johnson whose own leadership has been erratic and unconvincing; he has failed to do so.

Where are all the anti-Corbynites who were claiming that Jeremy was an electoral liability* and that Starmer would be the new messiah?  They have all gone very, very quiet.

* Forthe record Corbyn was an electoral liability.

I will admit I was one of these. Corbyn was useless in every way, a fact made worse by the fact that so many people bought into his Magic Grandpa act. Even clever people bought into his fevered gibberish.

Looking at the Labour benches I thought Starmer might be the one to bring Labour back. His CV is great - civil rights lawyer, DPP, and he looked the part. But he has been a wet sponge since taking on the job. He only gained traction last autumn with his "slow into lockdown, fast out of it" schtick and was actually getting the word "incompetence" associated with Johnson.  The vaccines wiped that all away and now all we get from Starmer is the need to be "tougher" on the virus, presumably with tighter restrictions. The same script from last October isn't working. He has said and done nothing new. 

Their problem is - if he goes, who takes over? The bench is looking mighty thin. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Their problem is - if he goes, who takes over? The bench is looking mighty thin. 

The corpse of John Smith would be a more effective leader of the Labour Party.

Use CGI like Peter Cushing in Rogue One and they have a fighting chance. Other than that, f**k knows.

1 hour ago, speckled tangerine said:

The corpse of John Smith would be a more effective leader of the Labour Party.

Use CGI like Peter Cushing in Rogue One and they have a fighting chance. Other than that, f**k knows.

I don't think it matters anymore who is in charge of labour. This conservative government are the worst and most corrupt I've ever seen and people are still moving away from labour.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

I don't think it matters anymore who is in charge of labour. This conservative government are the worst and most corrupt I've ever seen and people are still moving away from labour.

Yup. Tried a left wing schtick with Jez. Tried a traditional centre-ish left with Ed. Now on to a centre platform with Keith. If doesn't matter.

I saw a guy on the telly who used to be a Labour member in Leigh, Greater Manchester who's now a tory, which I found remarkable. The usual "Labour don't speak for me anymore" routine. So, by definition he reckons the Conservatives do. 

Maybe the "red wall" are delighted that the Poles have all fucked off and buy into this bulldog spirit stuff. It's easy to understand and strikes a chord because, as we all know, the Tories couldn't really give a f**k about "levelling up" the North if they can get away with it- which they are for the moment.

Depressing stuff.

2 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:

I saw a guy on the telly who used to be a Labour member in Leigh, Greater Manchester who's now a tory, which I found remarkable. The usual "Labour don't speak for me anymore" routine. So, by definition he reckons the Conservatives do. 

If he's paid off his mortgage and has a stocks and shares pension then the Tories probably do speak for him. Perpetually rising house prices and QE pumping up asset prices is the pay off for letting the Tories destroying the country. 

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If he's paid off his mortgage and has a stocks and shares pension then the Tories probably do speak for him. Perpetually rising house prices and QE pumping up asset prices is the pay off for letting the Tories destroying the country. 

He was an old c**t in all fairness, bit still.... 

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

Only if he's a fúcking idiot. Which most Tories are, but anyway..

You'd have to add to his attributes that:

he needs private Healthcare, or never to get sick. Or old.

his pension portfolio must be immune to any market crash which absolutely can, and will, wipe out his future. See Nomadland (book, not film).

he has no offspring - he will either have to allocate space in his house for them indefinitely, or dip into that massive pension pot to subsidise their start of independence. His property value rising continually has the consequence of making it more difficult for his descendants to strike out on their own - and for his ability to downsize and realise some of that value.

In summary, if you believe the Tories speak in any way for you, you are either independently wealthy, and immune to the shambolic handling of National finances, or a fucking idiot. Or a massive fucking racist, which in fairness is just a subset of idiot.