What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

4 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

The way I saw it was that there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations.

It wasn’t a hypothetical.

hypothetical
adjective

UK  

/ˌhaɪ.pəˈθet.ɪ.kəl/ US  

/ˌhaɪ.pəˈθet̬.ɪ.kəl/

imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true: 
a hypothetical example/situation
“This is all very hypothetical but supposingJackie got the job, how would that affect you?”
“Our future relationship with the EU is merely hypothetical until negotiations are complete.”

11 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

I never claimed such a thing.

You said that you expected "there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations" and "It wasn't a hypothetical"

Either you expected long complicated negotiations only in the hypothetical situation of a "leave" vote, or you don't understand the meaning of the word "hypothetical"

Your debating (and dotting) style is suspiciously reminiscent of Stormzy/Santan/Albus etc.

I predict you'll be gone in a matter of weeks

Edited by lichtgilphead

3 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

You said that you expected "there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations" and "It wasn't a hypothetical"

Either you expected long complicated negotiations only in the hypothetical situation of a "leave" vote, or you don't understand the meaning of the word "hypothetical"

Your debating (and dotting) style is suspiciously reminiscent of Stormzy/Santan/Albus etc.

I predict you'll be gone in a matter of weeks

Eh?  I voted leave, and expected long negotiations.

It still wasn’t a hypothetical, as I was voting for something real.

6 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I predict you'll activate one of the other 6 accounts you have ready to go in a matter of weeks

FTFY

Just seen the BBCs newsman from England standing outside Holyrood (I say "from England" - presumably, as I don't remember ever seeing him on Reporting Scotland - maybe nobody from BBC Scotland was available?) Seems to me that he was talking utter bovine excrement as he talked about Labour trying to "entrench the powers of the Scottish Parliament to prevent the UK government from chipping away at the devolution settlement..." 

How interesting. I wasn't aware that the "constitution" now allowed the Westminster Parliament to bind its successors. Jacob Rees-Mogg will do his nut. 

Nah, enough. 

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Should we read the small print this time Gordon? 

Well it’s happened, I suppose: the braindead, lying, amoral old c**t has admitted he hates Scotland and Scots as much as we hate him.

It makes it all the sweeter that his historical reputation is as a buffoonish, failed laughing-stock, and that he lacks even the fanboys who still stiffen up at the mere mention of Johnson.

And just a reminder, this disgrace of a human made up lies about sick and disabled Scottish children being denied healthcare if we voted for independence, only for the hospitals involved having to rubbish his claims. He’s utterly toxic slime, and the fact that, even after this, Labour continue to shunt his decomposing corpse out to lie to us betrays their contempt.

21 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

Eh?  I voted leave, and expected long negotiations.

It still wasn’t a hypothetical, as I was voting for something real.

No you weren’t. You voted for a hypothetical: a suggested or imagined outcome based on something that hadn’t yet happened.

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

Not a single journalist pointing out the vow and we've heard this pish before 

These are the same people who think its reasonable to have right wing think tank mouth breathers on Question Time panels.

7 minutes ago, Antlion said:

No you weren’t. You voted for a hypothetical: a suggested or imagined outcome based on something that hadn’t yet happened.

That’s so disingenuous.

The outcome was Brexit, and there were certain fundamentals that were always going to follow.  It wasn’t just suggested or imagined, but something real, which would take place depending on the result.

The fact that some of it wouldn’t be decided ‘til after negotiations does not mean that voting Leave was a hypothetical.

I realise this is the pettiest complaint about the document, but the following rips my knitting

19. Enhanced local control: there is a strong case for pushing power as close as possible to people in Scotland, and consideration should be given to establishing new forms of local and regional leadership, such as directly elected Mayors.

Could they not use the title Provost rather than Mayor?  Using Mayor just says “we don’t give a f**k about your history, language or country”.

13 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

That’s so disingenuous.

The outcome was Brexit, and there were certain fundamentals that were always going to follow.  It wasn’t just suggested or imagined, but something real, which would take place depending on the result.

The fact that some of it wouldn’t be decided ‘til after negotiations does not mean that voting Leave was a hypothetical.

Which was not guaranteed: Brexit was a hypothetical outcome which hinged entirely on the result of a vote. I’m amazed you could bring yourself to take part in that vote or imagine the “fundamentals that were always going to follow”, as you don’t do hypotheticals.

23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

These are the same people who think it’s reasonable to have right wing think tank mouth breathers on Question Time panels.

Have the BBC ever been directly challenged on or (ha!) issued a justification of their revolving door of secretively-funded “think tank” stars? I know they’ve made up excuses as to why they promoted Farage, but I’ve never seen them justify, for example, continually platforming Kate “Don’t ask who pays me” Andrews.