What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

6 minutes ago, btb said:

Fairy Nuff but the latest indication is that the Labour amendment will be voted on first and no other vote will take place, as I said congrats to Labour but is anyone really fooled by their mealy mouthed amendment is nothing but an endorsement of the status quo, cosying up to the Tories at Westminster is a step too far for me.

I think they have to vote on the amendment, then if passed they vote on the motion as amended so two votes minimum.  Semantics though.

ETA looks like the Labour amendment has all gone through on the nod seeing as the Tories bailed from the chamber.

Edited by Left Back

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

They can’t call for an unconditional ceasefire.  If they’re a government in waiting they’ll have to do business with Israel in the future.  Like it or not Israel is an ally and trading partner of the UK and it’s a bad move to openly condemn them and give the impression they don’t care about the hostages or Israel’s security.

We're getting somewhere now.

Still wondering why this is the SNP's fault though, ?

20 minutes ago, Left Back said:

They can’t call for an unconditional ceasefire.  If they’re a government in waiting they’ll have to do business with Israel in the future.  Like it or not Israel is an ally and trading partner of the UK and it’s a bad move to openly condemn them and give the impression they don’t care about the hostages or Israel’s security.

Had Israel not slaughtered 30,000 people in 4 months their feelings may have been a bigger consideration.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

For the reasons I already stated.  In the UK we also have the complication of our relationship with the US to consider.  Again like it or not we still have to do business with them in the future and don’t want to alienate them.  There is an effective Jewish lobby in US politics/society.

Very rarely are these things as simple as people imagine.

There is an effective Jewish lobby in US politics/society

That's the real reason 

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

For the reasons I already stated.  In the UK we also have the complication of our relationship with the US to consider.  Again like it or not we still have to do business with them in the future and don’t want to alienate them.  There is an effective Jewish lobby in US politics/society.

Do France not have to do business with them in the future? 

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I never said it was the SNP’s fault.  The SNP laid a trap which hasn’t been sprung.

I'm pretty sure I can see a large metaphorical snare around Mr Speakers neck !!!

Not sure he was the intended quarry but it looks like he's the victim here.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I never said it was the SNP’s fault.  The SNP laid a trap which hasn’t been sprung.

The SNP have been asking for a ceasefire since November, they dont have the time alloted to the official opposition - who could, at any time in the last 3 months - pulled something together.

That it took the SNP to force Labour into action is not on the SNP, its entirely on Labour and "Captain flippety flop" their leader.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Do France not have to do business with them in the future? 

I’m sure they probably do.  I have no idea if France have called for an unconditional ceasefire.  If they have it’s because they’ve weighed up the options and decided that’s the best option to serve the interests of France.  It will be f**k all to do with Israel or Gaza.  That’s not how foreign policy works I’m afraid.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I’m sure they probably do.  I have no idea if France have called for an unconditional ceasefire.  If they have it’s because they’ve weighed up the options and decided that’s the best option to serve the interests of France.  It will be f**k all to do with Israel or Gaza.  That’s not how foreign policy works I’m afraid.

We will all bow to your superior knowledge on the matter. 

20 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Ha ha, the Special Relationship.  It's akin to the one a dog has with a lamp-post.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

We don't "have" to do business with Israel,  we choose to do so. That business will be heavily weighted to arms and military aid, no doubt we gain a few grapefruits and oranges in return. 

The rapidly changing demographic of the UK population is bound to lead umpteen MPs to question the relationship for pure self preservation reasons.

We remain a total US puppet when it comes to Israel. If the US pivoted its stance tomorrow (I know, I know) we would see huge pressure to cut ties in a heartbeat as I'm pretty sure there is no majority public support for our seemingly unwavering support for them.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I don't particularly think the SNP set any sort of trap. They used their Opposition Day motion to call for a ceasefire, something supported by 2/3rds of the British public. Labour have had ample opportunity to call for a ceasefire in the 4 months that this plausible genocide has been going on for.

If they did intend to set a trap, then it's probably actually worked, because if nothing, the utterly bleak and cynical shenanigans that make up 90% of politics in this country have been quite openly exemplified by the behaviour of the Labour Party over this.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

So, attempting to prevent genocide isn’t in the best interests of the U.K., or the Labour Party? 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

We don't "have" to do business with Israel,  we choose to do so. That business will be heavily weighted to arms and military aid, no doubt we gain a few grapefruits and oranges in return. 

The rapidly changing demographic of the UK population is bound to lead umpteen MPs to question the relationship for pure self preservation reasons.

We remain a total US puppet when it comes to Israel. If the US pivoted its stance tomorrow (I know, I know) we would see huge pressure to cut ties in a heartbeat as I'm pretty sure there is no majority public support for our seemingly unwavering support for them.

Public sympathies wrt Israel/Palestine are massively out of synch with the near blanket support our political establishment lends to them.

Britain effectively outsources it’s foreign policy and is a client state of the USA.