What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

And then risk the asset being forcibly sold if you can't pay the loan back?

Aye like all the millions of people who have a mortgage to put a roof over their head!

I'm enjoying this anyway. The "Personally I don't mind paying it but it's the boys in Barlinnie i'm worried about really" line is like something out The Onion.

Second place goes to JLD who thinks the tax system should be flexibile for people who are in negative equity in one home and want to own a second one 😂 

Edited by Detournement

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You won't get any housing benefit to pay for it.

Best take this up with E&Y. They can draft a law about it 

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

And then risk the asset being forcibly sold if you can't pay the loan back?

No-one should ever take out a secured loan. Ever.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

You chose folk in prison for whatever reason, I suggested lots of cased of people

*WHO DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF AN INCOME TO FINANCE A LOAN TO PAY AN UNEXPECTED TAX BILL*

that this policy would shaft at the very moment they might really need that inheritance.

Absolutely right. Because these people haven't just received a windfall of £125k to settle a tax liability of £10k.

Just now, MixuFixit said:
2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:
Absolutely right. Because these people haven't just received a windfall of £125k to settle a tax liability of £10k.

A non trivial number of whom won't be able to pay it due to to their income and their situation meaning selling isn't desirable.

Sometimes life is tough. If you've got a debt of £10k to pay and an asset of £125k then my sympathy is limited.

2 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

My son has no assets, the only one he would have is my house.  Which would not be his until after the estate was finalised.  

Even if the bank was to offer a loan to pay the taxman, he would have difficulty repaying it.  

He has an asset worth £125k and difficulty paying a £10k debt? How on earth does that work?

15 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

My son has no assets, the only one he would have is my house.  Which would not be his until after the estate was finalised.  

Even if the bank was to offer a loan to pay the taxman, he would have difficulty repaying it.  

You say he is paying rent just now. Whatever rent he is paying will be more than a loan repayment would be.

The idea that people can't afford to inherit a six figure estate if it comes with a tax bill of less than 10% is 24 carat nonsense that the Daily Express would be too ashamed to publish.

Edited by Detournement

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

You say he is paying rent just now. Whatever rent he is paying will be more than a loan repayment would be.

The idea that people can't afford to inherit a six figure estate if it comes with a tax bill of less than 10% is 24 carot nonsense that the Daily Express would be too ashamed to publish.

40% of anything over £125,000. This is all nonsense anyway, Labour won't propose it and even if they did they wouldn't get elected.