England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

34 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Sorry what? You are saying England can only achieve these amazing incredible results by erm having Southgate as manager?

Serbia 1-0

Denmark 1-1

Slovenia 0-0

Switzerland 1-1

Any time England play a nation of their quality under Southgate they lose.  He's an atrocious manager. Absolutely terrible.

You forgot 1-1 to Slovakia after a 95th minute equaliser 

IMG_0978.jpeg

11 hours ago, Peil said:

My daughter and middle son are in holiday with their mum down in Gt Yarmouth.

The site has a power cut just as it's gone to penalties

Screenshot_20240706-201604.png

One of the best things about this is that Gt Yarmouth is a furious gammontown which just voted in a Faragist MP.

As for Ingerland - I think Spain would fairly comfortably dispatch them in the final but I worry a bit about France. The Dutch might do us all a favour (and I'd love to see big Wout knock them out) but I doubt it. It's impossible not to have the fear when they get to the last 4, but we have to hope that quality and skill will win out in the end.

9 hours ago, Chripper said:

Also, gotta say that it puts our result with the Swiss into perspective.

We were within the width of a post and a Ralston mistake from all three points.

No it really, really doesn't.  The Swiss had already won their first game in the finals, so were cruising along, happy with the point they needed to qualify. Even then, they missed numerous great chances to win - which for some reason you have erased from your loopy alternative worlds claim here. They were within a decent finish from swording us towards the end.

Halcyon days when Clarke was punching the air at that point, ready to spring some tactical surprises against Hungary... 😬

7 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Scotland would have shat the bed if they had made it this far.

FTFY.

Look what Switzerland did against Italy and for large parts against England and you just know we wouldn't have managed those levels or get anywhere near it.

Gareth Southgate is operating in an environment where you can take your pick from a host of opposing viewpoints.   The only thing that almost everyone seems to agree on is he leaves it too late to make substitutions.  There is a counter-argument to every point folk raise about his performance except the statistics, which put him in a good light.  Being a national team manager must be the most ridiculous job going.  Whatever happens, I hope he will step down for his own well-being.  I would like to see the English FA willing to select a manager on a shorter-term basis, even for two years.  It is not club management.

So far England have struggled through a mediocre group and two knife-edge knockout ties against opponents rated well below them.  That's not a cheap jibe, it's what I consider a statement of fact.

They are probably capable of getting past the Dutch but that would require a step-up in performance and a poor one from the Dutch.  The Netherlands have not been brilliant but their best moments have easily surpassed those of England, and if they can nullify Saka that would seriously hinder England's threat.

In the other tie I'd be expecting Spain to defeat France on the basis that they have played better football on a more consistent basis.

39 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Gareth Southgate is operating in an environment where you can take your pick from a host of opposing viewpoints.   The only thing that almost everyone seems to agree on is he leaves it too late to make substitutions.  There is a counter-argument to every point folk raise about his performance except the statistics, which put him in a good light.  Being a national team manager must be the most ridiculous job going.  Whatever happens, I hope he will step down for his own well-being.  I would like to see the English FA willing to select a manager on a shorter-term basis, even for two years.  It is not club management.

In a world where England fans have literally said that they want to see the back of Gareth Southgate even if they win the Euros, all bets are off.

People these days are just angry, so much so that nothing will appease them.

11 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

One of the most amazing things about this Euros is however bad they've been .. France has plumbed even greater depths.

What a fraud of a manager Deschamps is as well. 

Having an array of stars but playing 1 up front and telling everyone to defend seems to be the new way

Any other sport would long ago have changed the rules to stop this

9 minutes ago, Binos said:

Having an array of stars but playing 1 up front and telling everyone to defend seems to be the new way

Any other sport would long ago have changed the rules to stop this

FIFA should introduce a rule that you're not allowed to pass the ball backwards IMO.

46 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

One of the most amazing things about this Euros is however bad they've been .. France has plumbed even greater depths.

What a fraud of a manager Deschamps is as well. 

Even though France have been poor he’s taken them to back to back World Cup finals including winning one - I think calling him a fraud as a manager is a bit of a stretch.

35 minutes ago, Chripper said:

In a world where England fans have literally said that they want to see the back of Gareth Southgate even if they win the Euros, all bets are off.

People these days are just angry, so much so that nothing will appease them.

The angry mob want him out.  Folk like me think if I'm his boss, he has achieved his goals to date in this tournament although the football could be better.  He is an industry where it is not just his boss judging him and although I think he could have avoided some grief e.g. take a fit left-back, he has stuck with his convictions.  As I say, I would bow out and count my cash.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Even though France have been poor he’s taken them to back to back World Cup finals including winning one - I think calling him a fraud as a manager is a bit of a stretch.

Also a Euros final too.