Highland League 2024-25

35 minutes ago, Vale Vale Vale said:

Dramatic finish at prp also.

Good point though, young Jack Mitchell doing well getting both goals for us.

Onwards and upwards.

Don't think anyone expected Vale to take points of Broch and Huntly to start the season, hopefully Clach's visit at the end of the month will bring you back down to earth..:P

My copied and pasted review of Clach v Nairn from Fitba North - 

So much for the New Clach. That was exactly the same as the Old Clach; dodgy at the back, second to every ball in midfield, and posted missing upfront.

Some finish from Matthew Wright for the opener, I'm looking forward to seeing that again, I was right behind it and Malin was absolutely rooted to the spot. The Meekings own goal was bizarre, I just happened to look up as the cross came in and under no pressure whatsoever he calmy heads it beyond Malin. It didn't even look like a cushioned back header, it looked to me as if he was trying to score.

This is the unfashionable thing to say on this forum but I was impressed by Tokelys demeanor on the sidelines, he was always shouting tactical tweaks or improvements and is a stark contrast to Gethins who is always negative and berates his players for stuff that's already happened instead of trying to change something during the games I find.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think anyone expected Vale to take points of Broch and Huntly to start the season, hopefully Clach's visit at the end of the month will bring you back down to earth..:P

Still early days yet and Wick on Saturday will be another tough game for us. Going to be interesting down the bottom. 

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm led to believe their annoyance was due to an unreasonable delay in blowing the whistle until BoD got their 3 points.

Some of their creative timewasting was impressive.

My favourite was when the player stayed down for five minutes, then started to walk off the longer distance off the pitch when he was subbed, before being told to go the shorter distance...only for the physio to walk the longer distance (to home-fans' applause).

16 hours ago, forthefanssubstack said:

A dramatic finish in Keith.

Keith’s keeper made some incredible first-half saves.

Keith went 1-0 up midway through the second half.

Dee equalised near the end

Dee then got a penalty a minute later. Philipson missed it (another good save).

Then Dee got a second penalty. Gilmour took it and missed but the rebound was scrambled in and Dee somehow won.

Not very impressed with the three or four home fans giving Lachie and the ref aggro at full time. 

Thanks for your replies, do not disagree with what you said in reply to my earlier post! Agree fully that if certain players are missing then there is no voice on the park, that was evident last Saturday for sure!

I was keeping an eye on score on Twitter last night, glad to see they got over the line.

Will be there on Saturday hopefully be a good performance, will almost double the 4 Home Fans if that is the case!!!!

Brora looking very strong thus far, while the rest of the contenders (Buckie, Brechin, Fraserburgh) and dark horses (Formartine, Banks o'Dee) looking to have weaknesses.

Rumours of Strathspey's improvement have been greatly exaggerated

IMO it's between BoD and Brechin,possibly Brora too.

Broch and Buckie will compete but with the players they've lost and not replaced by the same calibre,it's a no go title wise for both.

Edited by Dav nan Gael

20 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Broch and Buckie will compete but with the players they've lost and not replaced by the same calibre,it's a no go title wise for both.

I never like to judge so early on in the season. A lot can happen, particularly when the weather and the pitches get worse.

Dee needed a couple of weeks to get going and the squad is almost at full strength now.

Yesterday was a case of: A poor first half where they passed the ball as far as halfway, then went direct for Nairn to deal with every time.

Then in the second half, as soon as they get the ball on the floor in the attacking third they unlocked the defence. Scott Milne in particular was very good in front of goal.

Brora will be up there now they have a competent manager again.  The addition of Shane Sutherland and the return of Andy MacRae from the cold should see them score a barrowload.

On 10/08/2024 at 19:07, Dav nan Gael said:

I'd say Brora's strongest starting XI is better than BoD's but the latter have a bigger squad and that could be Brora's downfall if they get a couple of injuries. BoD also have a habit of going on a draw spree.  Brechin have lost a lot of goals losing McGrath but Louden and MacDonald seem to have taken up the mantle so far this season.

I'd say its between Brora and Brechin with the massive caveat that Brora don't get a lot of injuries.  Buckie and Fraserburgh have lost really important players and look to have not replaced them, so I'm counting them out.  BoD can't seem to ever beat the shite at home so I'm counting them out too.

On 10/08/2024 at 18:29, CS_Dumbarton said:

Brora looking very strong thus far, while the rest of the contenders (Buckie, Brechin, Fraserburgh) and dark horses (Formartine, Banks o'Dee) looking to have weaknesses.

Rumours of Strathspey's improvement have been greatly exaggerated

So it would appear!

On 15/07/2024 at 14:04, HibeeJibee said:

See it's reported Deveronvale will be operating without floodlights this season. 'Vale haven't had working lights since late last year. Is this true and if so - how is that compatible with their club licensing and Scottish Cup participations?

Also won't 'Vale have to play 8pm midweek games?

the-answer-is-butters-stotch.gif

7:15pm... 6:30pm...

454426159_1065023815625767_8309398042297859078_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=127cfc&_nc_ohc=BKx2kWDZ3NQQ7kNvgFVvZal&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-2.fna&oh=00_AYAXv9pbEy5xgTRY7Jk2NFzWAimERcEz2-Yy8CPBbB0rFA&oe=66C17F26     454974730_1069269975201151_689784233172793500_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=127cfc&_nc_ohc=X7bFyMKpa8oQ7kNvgFjXB5f&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-1.fna&oh=00_AYBI5TZKZNWGYPFgz9FgGHxDiwo7vWr3Y_sjU-z2czcy0Q&oe=66C15ED4