Scottish players in action 24/25

Robbie Ure with a hat trick for Anderlecht in a pre-season friendly.

It could be a breakthrough season for the 20 year old striker.

Fingers crossed.

He's also a well spoken and intelligent sounding lad.

Edited by Chripper

Posted elsewhere, but Andy Irving with a goal and assist in his first two pre-season fixtures with West Ham. Seemed the initial plan was to loan him out this season, but now looks like he will be taken to the States to play against Wolves & Crystal Palace which should give a better idea of where he is at. 

https://www.whufc.com/news/irving-be-involved-brilliant-and-im-loving-it

Difficult to believe, but Fraser Hornby was sighted on a football pitch rather than the treatment table - started a friendly for Darmstadt against Coventry, although was subbed off after 35 minutes so is probably injured again.

58 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Difficult to believe, but Fraser Hornby was sighted on a football pitch rather than the treatment table - started a friendly for Darmstadt against Coventry, although was subbed off after 35 minutes so is probably injured again.

I remember watching him for the u21s and the guy had so much potential. He had so much, obviously his size, but pace power and a lovely touch. He was the main free kick taker as well.

I dont think its lack of ability, you just never know how things are going to go. So many factors can make or break a player.

Ben Doak played 30 mins last night against Real Betis in Pittsburgh.

He got the ball around 4 or 5 times in the attacking third and each time he did he caused Mayhem in the Betis defence.

The lad's acceleration is incredible. If he has the ball, stops, and if a defender is within a yard of him, Doak will glide past him.

It's also fair to say that his injury hasn't impaired his pace.

He might need a season long loan somewhere. He needs games under his belt.

(It's weird seeing Salah without his hair. It's akin to seeing Henrik Larsson without his trademark dreads)

21 hours ago, Chripper said:

Ben Doak played 30 mins last night against Real Betis in Pittsburgh.

He got the ball around 4 or 5 times in the attacking third and each time he did he caused Mayhem in the Betis defence.

The lad's acceleration is incredible. If he has the ball, stops, and if a defender is within a yard of him, Doak will glide past him.

It's also fair to say that his injury hasn't impaired his pace.

He might need a season long loan somewhere. He needs games under his belt.

(It's weird seeing Salah without his hair. It's akin to seeing Henrik Larsson without his trademark dreads)

He struggled a bit last season when he played (before his injury) and I do wonder now if that was more because he was carrying an injury that stopped him using his pace/acceleration more than trouble adapting to the level. When he first came into the Liverpool first team he looked electric, much in the way you describe.

still needs to work on his decision making/final ball but I think the tools are all there. Interestingly it seems he has been playing on the left as more of an inside forward. Good news for Scotland if he develops into less of an out and out winger (as they are harder to accommodate in a weaker team like Scotland plus we desperately need a goal scorer up top).

On 28/07/2024 at 14:33, albagubrath said:

He struggled a bit last season when he played (before his injury) and I do wonder now if that was more because he was carrying an injury that stopped him using his pace/acceleration more than trouble adapting to the level. When he first came into the Liverpool first team he looked electric, much in the way you describe.

still needs to work on his decision making/final ball but I think the tools are all there. Interestingly it seems he has been playing on the left as more of an inside forward. Good news for Scotland if he develops into less of an out and out winger (as they are harder to accommodate in a weaker team like Scotland plus we desperately need a goal scorer up top).

Yeah. Same.

Agreed. The main difference between Doak and the likes of Oliver Burke is that both have an empty canvas, unfortunately, with Burke's canvas only been able to painted on with invisible ink. 😛

Do you know who Doak reminds me of? Brian Laudrup. Doak finds himself in the middle and is still able to dribble past players. That is a special talent.

The "free role" is a bit of an outdated concept these days, but I think he's one of these rare players who can flourish playing in that role.

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

20 minutes for Doak against Arsenal.

Great to see him back fit. 
Will be interesting to see what Arne Slot does with him - loan or keep him. 

Doak got 20 minutes vs Arsenal last night. He didn't really have any chances to impress.

Say what you want about Americans and football but 60k in attendance for a friendly, featuring 8 first team players, Is impressive.

McTominay played 60 minutes vs Real Betis. He played as a number 10 behind Sancho who was a false 9.

He had two half changes and made several great runs into the box. If United had a midfielder who could pass better, McTominay would've scored a couple.

Half way through the 1st half you literally saw ten Hag tell McTominay to stay forward and keep being a target.

Scott's an enigma.

He played his entire youth career as a midfielder, save from a few matches as an emergency striker, and yet he looks so lethargic in central midfield. He comes alive in the box.

It's obvious that ten Hag sees Scott as a number 10 and not a midfielder.

I'd experiment with McTominay as a number 10 and either Adams or Doak as a false 9.

With Højlund out for 6 weeks and now Rashford hobbling off last night, I doubt McTominay will be sold this summer.