Your car history

On 11/08/2024 at 14:38, FK1Bairn said:

64 plate white Meriva was spotted by my son and I parked outside East End Park before the game yesterday! 

Anybody else clocked sight of an old car of yours somewhere you weren't expecting to?

My Vauxhall Cavalier was spotted by a mate of mine in a scrappies. It had been in a wreck. 

On 11/08/2024 at 14:38, FK1Bairn said:

64 plate white Meriva was spotted by my son and I parked outside East End Park before the game yesterday! 

Anybody else clocked sight of an old car of yours somewhere you weren't expecting to?

Not mine but I spotted a family friends 14 plate Astra VXR in Wick about 4 years after she got rid of it. 

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My Vauxhall Cavalier was spotted by a mate of mine in a scrappies. It had been in a wreck. 

Mine had its number plates cloned and used in an armed robbery in the east end of Glasgow. Twas initially discomforting when plod knocked the door just before midnight to ask what I knew about it. 

Was also penned in from 3 sides and pulled out my Astra by armed police on the way home from a Pogues concert. 

Ubiquitous red cars ...

My first car when I was 18 was a Morris Ital that my uncle managed to get for me. It has only done about 3000 miles per year when I got it but it virtually wore a groove in the A77 after I ran up and down to Glasgow from Ayrshire. 

It was a great car but eventually got rid of it when the back suspension spring broke...

season 1 eyebrows GIF by BET

1 hour ago, tinkerbelle said:

The old Scrappage scheme from a few years back wiped out loads of useable cars.

Aye.  I reckon the carbon footprint binning perfectly good cars to make, eh... perfectly good cars to replace them must have been worse than letting them end in the normal fashion.

5 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Aye.  I reckon the carbon footprint binning perfectly good cars to make, eh... perfectly good cars to replace them must have been worse than letting them end in the normal fashion.

So I googled carbon footprint stuff for cars.

Working on 12000 miles average and an old car doing 40mph versus a new car doing 60mph it'd take about 9 years to balance that out. 

Massive assumptions on the above calculations btw.  Based on petrol cars.

22 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

So I googled carbon footprint stuff for cars.

Working on 12000 miles average and an old car doing 40mph versus a new car doing 60mph it'd take about 9 years to balance that out. 

Massive assumptions on the above calculations btw.  Based on petrol cars.

I’ll bet you get a lot of dinner party invites? 

Jinxed my Mazda by saying 'so far so good'.

Need a new suspension spring now...

Ffs another expense I really could do without right now,

I tend to keep my cars for a reasonable length of time, so I've not had too many considering my age.

First car was a 1996 Rover 214 hatchback, mainly because I learned to drive in my mum's similar one. Nice wee car tbh and didn't give me any bother in 3 years.

I was quite into the MG Rover scene back then so upgraded to a 1994 Rover 220 turbo coupe, which my wife and I still agree is the best car we've ever had. As well as being great fun (200bhp in an old Rover) it was incredibly reliable and I kept it for about 8 years.

After selling that to someone from the owners club I fancied a change, and got an old 1992 Mitsubishi Pajero. I loved that big bus. It was comically slow (3-speed auto) and horrendous on fuel but it was like driving around on a 3-piece leather suite, the pinnacle of comfort. Looked great too IMO.

truck.JPG.9e3736d69f7e9960dfb3a4ce861b7ec9.JPG .

I had another Mitsubishi truck after that one, which being a 3.0 petrol was somehow even worse than the first one for running costs (15mpg), and then more recently went into boring mode with a cheap runabout Peugeot 207 and a Bipper van which felt free to run after the gas guzzling 4x4s.

A few months ago me & the Mrs sold our cars and for the first time bought a shared one, a Mercedes C Class. It's like a spaceship after our succession of Peugeots, vans and old trucks. 

Edited by Zetterlund

Clocked in Dundee the other day.

Proper Vauxhall marks will probably notice that despite the red stripe  it's not an actual SRI (rather a GLI auto) but looked in fine nick.

Just need to get my Calibra back on the road.

FB_IMG_1724184368490.jpg