Should Meadow fans be worried already about the season ahead? 

On the evidence of today’s showing against Peasy, a few alarm bells may already be ringing. 

What a dismal performance -  even taking into account a relatively decent start during which Meadow took the lead. 

The whole team just wasn’t at the races with some ridiculously sloppy and poor play. There was very little cohesion (players leaving the ball to each other in dangerous positions on numerous occasions and play turning over), very little creative or attacking threat and more worrying very little leadership. 

Going through the team, not one player got pass marks for me. 

Jamie Barclay - I’m sorry, I know he’s always carried a bit of timber as a keeper but to be in that physical shape at the start of the season  is an embarrassment to himself and the club. 

The back four were atrocious. One fullback panicked every time he received the ball and the other, the experienced George Sewell,  was absolutely miles off it. Quite often taking his frustration out on his teammates which I doubt helped anyone. 

Currie’s positioning was all over the place and his lack of pace didn’t help him recover either, while  McLennan had a nightmare. 

The midfield offered next to nothing. Paton didn’t look interested other  than looking to make Hollywood cross balls. His teammates in there were even worse.

Up front Meadow don’t appear to have a lot going for them either. I just don’t see a prolific goal scorer in there - even someone who is going to get 15 plus a season. 

The performance was summed up when their sub striker was sent for an early bath. Was he trying to make sure he got sent off? Raised his hands first, lashing out after an innocuous tackle and then a few seconds later throwing his head forward at his rival just for good measure!

The natives were not best pleased and rightly so. I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of any on here who were at the game. 

Peasy fan here. I thought some of peasies pressing was good today and they continuously put Meadow under pressure. That said Meadow were definitely masters of there own downfall by giving the ball away trying to pass out from the back. Every time Peasy put a ball in behind the back four, especially in the second half they looked as if they could score. Some of the shouts between Meadow players, even in the first half were poor. The captain calling other players dicks, and he wasn't the only one. I dont think this will help the young subs who were in the Meadow squad. I thought Meadow started the game well but always seemed as soon as Peasy went in front they were likely to fall apart. The number 15 who got himself sent off was stupid to say the least. 

1 minute ago, onemanwolfpack said:

Peasy fan here. I thought some of peasies pressing was good today and they continuously put Meadow under pressure. That said Meadow were definitely masters of there own downfall by giving the ball away trying to pass out from the back. Every time Peasy put a ball in behind the back four, especially in the second half they looked as if they could score. Some of the shouts between Meadow players, even in the first half were poor. The captain calling other players dicks, and he wasn't the only one. I dont think this will help the young subs who were in the Meadow squad. I thought Meadow started the game well but always seemed as soon as Peasy went in front they were likely to fall apart. The number 15 who got himself sent off was stupid to say the least. 

I was impressed with how clinical Peasy were. Like your forward players, particularly the wee no 9 who showed some lovely touches all afternoon. 

13 minutes ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

The performance was summed up when their sub striker was sent for an early bath. Was he trying to make sure he got sent off? Raised his hands first, lashing out after an innocuous tackle and then a few seconds later throwing his head forward at his rival just for good measure!

Just read the striker you’re referring to is Tam Cruden, however I immediately knew who it would be upon reading your post. A good player but his inability to control his anger lets him down massively. Was exact same at the Burgh.

2 minutes ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

I was impressed with how clinical Peasy were. Like your forward players, particularly the wee no 9 who showed some lovely touches all afternoon. 

Yes Robbie was very good. For his stature he positions himself well and doesn't make it easy for defenders to get round him. Him Cassells (11), Mackay (7), and McLaughlin (8) worked hard all day. 

5 minutes ago, BurghLoyal said:

Just read the striker you’re referring to is Tam Cruden, however I immediately knew who it would be upon reading your post. A good player but his inability to control his anger lets him down massively. Was exact same at the Burgh.

It was just so unnecessary. He was caught in possession, not even a foul and he reacted like he’d been scythed. 

Horrendous.

Need to get a proper structure in place. We are going backwards at an alarming rate and Ben is under horrendous pressure far too early in his coaching career.

32 minutes ago, Westy1 said:

Horrendous.

Need to get a proper structure in place. We are going backwards at an alarming rate and Ben is under horrendous pressure far too early in his coaching career.

I agree with that. I always liked Ben as a player. A tenacious midfielder who could mix it up and play a bit. 

His side could do with a few like him on the park. 

I hope Meadow give him time to find his feet. He inherited a mess and deserves a good run at it. 

38 minutes ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

I agree with that. I always liked Ben as a player. A tenacious midfielder who could mix it up and play a bit. 

I hope Meadow give him time to find his feet. He inherited a mess and deserves a good run at it. 

i would prefer we protected him and let him learn his trade properly at the 20s, this job is far too big and too early for him. I hate saying that as I loved him as a player and hes one of us, but, for the sake of the club and getting back to the prem, this cant continue for long. 

1 hour ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

How much time do you give him? He's clearly not good enough? Some horrific results last season. Couldn't defend for love nor money and seems to have done nothing to affect change over preseason. He's maybe jusy not cut out for management. It certainly seems that way to me. 

Team: Barclay, Sewell, Gallacher, Currie, McLennan (c), Paton, Baird, McBryde, Cree, Anderson, Neilson Subs: Sharpe, Daiouchy, Cruden, O'Hare, Gallacher, Gilmour, Lynn (gk)

Pluses:
Started well enough, and deserved to go into the lead. I thought Baird looked decent when attacking.
There were a few good chances across the game, that weren't converted. Not that these indicated a close game, but they were there, and we do get some attacks.
I thought Youssef did decently, when he came on.
In among the minuses, Barclay did make a few good stops.

Minuses:
Masters of our own downfall. Taking the risky option dribbling or passing out from the back, despite getting caught every time.
Dreadful at defending anything with height.
Zero presence in midfield.
No clear plan of attack
Brittle, as the team faded into shadows at 2-1 down.
At least one chucking some abuse at others, doesn't help anyone (especially when no one is doing well)
The sending off was utterly pointless, and Cruden got a lot of stick going off.
The fourth goal was an embarrassment. Our player was more interested in getting a drink from a water bottle, and listening to the coaching staff, when the ball was underhit out in his direction by the 'keeper. Intercepted and goal conceded. It was as poor as you can imagine.

Hopefully a hangover game, and the coaching team will know they have lots to improve on.

19 hours ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

I do wonder how long the Meadow board will give him considering how many manager changes have been made recently. But from an outsider looking in I think his win rate appears far worse than Grierson or Deeney despite making wholesale changes to the squad, which every quotes was a shambles. Both those previous managers managed to get points on the board and a respectable mid table finish in the premier. Yet all I see quoted is how much of a shamble it was.  It should also be noted that Ben was on the coaching team of the short stint of Martin Ferry so would have been part of the decision making then for players coming in, training etc. 

there is no doubting the Medda hot seat is a tough gig just now, but with the expectations that come with the job I'm not sure how long he'll be given with results like this. This thread being created after the first game of the season cements that weight of expectation. 

I think is there were to be a Que of decent managers wanting the job, circumstances wouldn’t be different, but, who would want to be part of the circus we are at the moment? 

the last few appointments have been far from great too.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fabi said:

I do wonder how long the Meadow board will give him considering how many manager changes have been made recently. But from an outsider looking in I think his win rate appears far worse than Grierson or Deeney despite making wholesale changes to the squad, which every quotes was a shambles. Both those previous managers managed to get points on the board and a respectable mid table finish in the premier. Yet all I see quoted is how much of a shamble it was.  It should also be noted that Ben was on the coaching team of the short stint of Martin Ferry so would have been part of the decision making then for players coming in, training etc. 

there is no doubting the Medda hot seat is a tough gig just now, but with the expectations that come with the job I'm not sure how long he'll be given with results like this. This thread being created after the first game of the season cements that weight of expectation. 

I actually think Grierson was making a decent fist of it before he left. We will never know now but I think he would have done a good job there over time.

There’s no doubt Meadow have gone through far too managers in the decade or so since Strain left. Has anyone been in the job more than a couple of seasons?

Some have even left after a relatively short period of time. 

It does make me think something isn’t right behind the scenes. The club can’t keep appointing folk and sacking them so short into reigns. That pattern seems to suggest that those making the appointments are at fault. 

I hope Ben doesn’t suffer the same fate as many before him. 

Edited by coistysgoldenboots

• 2 weeks later...