Accies VS Ayr United

Now the real action starts and we're up against a team who I'm expecting to be at the top end of the table this year. Been very impressed with the signings Ayr have made and I'm expecting this to be a really tough test for us. As mentioned during the full summer there's a lot of former Accies players now playing for Ayr and a lot of former Ayr players playing for us now who have points to prove. 

We've had 2 really good performances against County and Raith and been unlucky to come away with a loss against County and a draw against Raith. Ayr overall had a mostly good League Cup campaign but had a bit of a disaster yesterday with only coming away with a 1 goal win against Buckie which has also seen them knocked out extremely rare to have picked up 9 points and to not have made it through in this competition so that's a bit unlucky from Ayr. 

Overall I'm expecting this to be a close game which could go either way but I can see this ending a draw which I would be quite happy with to be honest Accies 1-1 Ayr.

Fully expecting Albiston to turn in to prime Buffon, McGinty to turn in to prime Beckenbauer, Barjonas to into prime Iniesta, O'Connor into the actual Irish Messi and Bradly into prime Best for 90 minutes, let's hope our front two have our shooting boots on and Rus lives up to the hype we have given him over preseason and the LC 3-1 Ayr a Oakley, Dowds with a double.

1 hour ago, Superhursty7 said:

Fully expecting Albiston to turn in to prime Buffon, McGinty to turn in to prime Beckenbauer, Barjonas to into prime Iniesta, O'Connor into the actual Irish Messi and Bradly into prime Best for 90 minutes, let's hope our front two have our shooting boots on and Rus lives up to the hype we have given him over preseason and the LC 3-1 Ayr a Oakley, Dowds with a double.

It's prime Bernardo Silva, actually, and he's been like that for the past year. 

I wouldn't be shocked at a draw tbh. Teams coming up usually get a few results early doors, and it would underline we're not quite there yet. 

How do Accies fans feel about the new season, I'm sure I read a few grumbles with the mgmt towards the end of the season, but I haven't followed much over the summer.

3 hours ago, Peil said:

I wouldn't be shocked at a draw tbh. Teams coming up usually get a few results early doors, and it would underline we're not quite there yet. 

How do Accies fans feel about the new season, I'm sure I read a few grumbles with the mgmt towards the end of the season, but I haven't followed much over the summer.

Personally I'm so-so. We're in much better shape than we were going into our last championship season in terms of personnel. The signings show real intent and we're burying the ghost of the disastrous Colin McGowan era with the new ownership. When we were relegated from the champ I could see us stagnating and being league one strugglers for years and the team ultimately proved me very wrong. 

On the other hand, we've conceded some silly/mental goals in the league cup so hoping that doesn't continue. The jury is still out on John Rankin too, even though he has a knack of getting the right result at the right time and has won us our first trophy in ages. He's not the best at in-game management and made some really strange decisions re starters in his first season. But his job was to get us out of league one and we got out of league one, handily beating a championship team in the process. 

Our focus will be staying up, hopefully getting towards mid table. I think as long as we avoid the bottom spot - which I think we should looking at the league - we'll be alright as league one looks incredibly weak this year. 

4 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Best places to park close to the ground?

Big car park under cover right at the away end.

Actually no all that confident about this.  Think our defensive frailties will get shown up, particularly at set pieces. 

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Actually no all that confident about this.  Think our defensive frailties will get shown up, particularly at set pieces. 

Big Sean will be desperate to power in a header from a corner, hoping we swap McMann to LB and Frankie or Devlin if ready to CB.

25 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

Big Sean will be desperate to power in a header from a corner, hoping we swap McMann to LB and Frankie or Devlin if ready to CB.

Get the feeling Devlin is probably a month away from being match fit. Not even in the squads of the last 2 games. 

OP missed the opportunity to call the thread Ayr United Rejects v Hamilton Accies rejects imo.

Really looking forward to Saturday, expectations for a successful season is pretty high in South Ayrshire. On paper we’ve recruited well and have a much stronger squad than that of last season. We had a fairly decent league cup campaign although yesterday was really disappointing and tempered expectations a wee bit. We should still be looking to get off to a winning start in this one although Accies will probably be doing the same. 

Line up wise I’d go: Stone, Watreat, Stanger, Musonda, McMann, Henderson, Rus, Dempsey, Hastie, Dowds, Oakley

Subs- Russell, McAllister, Reading, Devlin, Syla, Walker, Murphy, Bryden, McKenzie 

Chances of this happening is unlikely though as it’ll no doubt be McMann at centre half with Reading at LB

Academical Vaults still the go to for away fans? 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

OP missed the opportunity to call the thread Ayr United Rejects v Hamilton Accies rejects imo.

Really looking forward to Saturday, expectations for a successful season is pretty high in South Ayrshire. On paper we’ve recruited well and have a much stronger squad than that of last season. We had a fairly decent league cup campaign although yesterday was really disappointing and tempered expectations a wee bit. We should still be looking to get off to a winning start in this one although Accies will probably be doing the same. 

Line up wise I’d go: Stone, Watreat, Stanger, Musonda, McMann, Henderson, Rus, Dempsey, Hastie, Dowds, Oakley

Subs- Russell, McAllister, Reading, Devlin, Syla, Walker, Murphy, Bryden, McKenzie 

Chances of this happening is unlikely though as it’ll no doubt be McMann at centre half with Reading at LB

Academical Vaults still the go to for away fans? 

Would be happy with this team Hastie must be knocking on the door for a start had a good game against Stenny and scored a cracking goal off the bench yesterday and maybe a wee bit to prove to Rankin after a less that stellar loan at Hamilton last season.

I really really like Scott McMann but he is not the best as centre back in a two, left of a three he’s fine.
If Ayr are playing him there you must be desperate we’d need Shaw to test him.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

6 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I really really like Scott McMann but he is not the best as centre back in a two, left of a three he’s fine.
If Ayr are playing him there you must be desperate we’d need Shaw to test him.

We aren’t desperate though. It’s just where Brown has signed him to play. We’ve got George Stanger, Frankie Musonda and Mikey Devlin who can all play at CB but McMann seems to viewed as one and probably first choice at that. 

I think as the season goes on he’ll end up playing as a full back but it won’t be here.