Dundee FC vs Heart of Midlothian - 5:30pm Kick-off - 10/08/24

I was at hospitality today. Seeing more seagulls than hearts fans in the away end near the end was funny.

I'm still in shock that we took a lead and held on comfortably against a top 6 team. Last season we would crumble.

Has to be said, if Craig Gordon is truly finished - Hearts should 100% be looking for a better goalkeeper. Zander Clark may well currently be Scotland's number 2 but I genuinely wouldn't have him ahead of McCracken or indeed even Trevor Carson at Dens. McCracken will be coming for that Scotland spot soon enough IMO (and he's got a wee wild moment himself in him!)

Hearts need to restore Gordon or get a quality keeper in FFS.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Has to be said, if Craig Gordon is truly finished - Hearts should 100% be looking for a better goalkeeper. Zander Clark may well currently be Scotland's number 2 but I genuinely wouldn't have him ahead of McCracken or indeed even Trevor Carson at Dens. McCracken will be coming for that Scotland spot soon enough IMO (and he's got a wee wild moment himself in him!)

Hearts need to restore Gordon or get a quality keeper in FFS.

Clark was excellent last season. He kept 17 clean sheets I think as we made 3rd no bother. He made very few big mistakes and made some huge saves. Unfortunately he seems to turn into a clownshoe at Dens Park. His kick was almost identical to his mistake last season.  I have no real issues with him, I've been blessed to see some great goalies at Tynecastle,  he's been very good.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon getting a run of 10 games to see if he's still got it. 

Hearts RB had an absolute howler but he’s going to be some player, which sounds daft on the basis of today. Just wonder how he reacts to that performance. Very raw but he’ll still be adjusting. He’ll be having nightmares of Tiffoney tonight. 

2 hours ago, Liam899 said:

Hearts RB had an absolute howler but he’s going to be some player, which sounds daft on the basis of today

Everyone was raving about him v the ****, but - objectively - he ran the ball out the park 4 times under no pressure in that match.

He looks like the classic jambo - talk the talk and cant walk the walk.

Hearts lost the battle in midfield which meant their only tactic was to try and lump balls into the box. They had a couple of good chances from this tactic but really didn't create much else. Only other real chance I remember was McCracken having another wtf moment.

Yhe last 15 minutes plus injury time were as comfortable as you could get.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Christ, that's a hangover.

Sometimes you just need to write a performance off as an absolute shambles and hope it's a one-off. Not much else to be said about that.

It's a strange game. When you win games like that you always take the positives, but I honestly don't think there's a lot to say about Dundee from yesterday. Hearts handed them the game in pretty comical fashion. Reminded me of our win over Aberdeen early last season when they were so hilariously bad that there was little to really be learned from it.

What can you say? Sometimes you've got to take your medicine, and Hearts were f**king pish.

A thankyou to the people of Dundee. An excellent day out as always.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Christ, that's a hangover.

Sometimes you just need to write a performance off as an absolute shambles and hope it's a one-off. Not much else to be said about that.

It's a strange game. When you win games like that you always take the positives, but I honestly don't think there's a lot to say about Dundee from yesterday. Hearts handed them the game in pretty comical fashion. Reminded me of our win over Aberdeen early last season when they were so hilariously bad that there was little to really be learned from it.

What can you say? Sometimes you've got to take your medicine, and Hearts were f**king pish.

A thankyou to the people of Dundee. An excellent day out as always.

I agree Hearts made howling errors for two of the goals. However, the penalty comes about from very aggressive pressing play and winning the ball high. I think if it was 0-0 you could see a Dundee team who did press very high, who were more physical than hearts, and who played better football. 

Hearts will have a very good season and by that I mean comfortably finishing 3rd again. I suppose it’s the cups you’ll be looking at for improvement?

Just now, Liam899 said:

I agree Hearts made howling errors for two of the goals. However, the penalty comes about from very aggressive pressing play and winning the ball high. I think if it was 0-0 you could see a Dundee team who did press very high, who were more physical than hearts, and who played better football. 

Hearts will have a very good season and by that I mean comfortably finishing 3rd again. I suppose it’s the cups you’ll be looking at for improvement?

Oh, I'm not saying Dundee were bad at all. I just think Hearts' errors were so elementary and game-changing as to make the game quite hard to meaningfully analyse. I like this Dundee team, but they won't get three points handed to them like that very often.

Our season is hard to call. We've got a tough start to the season and then the European fixtures kick in. I expect us to probably be a bit off the pace for third by halfway, and then hopefully come on strong in the second half of the season.

We're due a cup, for sure, but it's all about the draw, isn't it?

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Oh, I'm not saying Dundee were bad at all. I just think Hearts' errors were so elementary and game-changing as to make the game quite hard to meaningfully analyse. I like this Dundee team, but they won't get three points handed to them like that very often.

Our season is hard to call. We've got a tough start to the season and then the European fixtures kick in. I expect us to probably be a bit off the pace for third by halfway, and then hopefully come on strong in the second half of the season.

We're due a cup, for sure, but it's all about the draw, isn't it?

Yeah I see what you’re saying. What’s your thoughts on Boateng? Early days of course but I thought he came on and calmed things down and exerted more control for hearts. Decent assist too. 

Just now, Liam899 said:

Yeah I see what you’re saying. What’s your thoughts on Boateng? Early days of course but I thought he came on and calmed things down and exerted more control for hearts. Decent assist too. 

I think he'll be a decent signing. The midfield is missing Beni and Nieuwenhof at the moment, so he'll get a chance in the team.

We're going to need a big squad this season anyway, but I think he's a good signing.

We were the architects of our own downfall yesterday for sure, all 3 goals absolutely gift wrapped and presented to Dundee on a plate, just a stinking performance which pretty much resembled our loss there last season, howling! 

I've no idea why we ever play 3 at the back, it doesn't work, it's never worked, it's pish, we're much better with 4 at the back, and we all know Dundee have a great engine in midfield, so what does Naisy do? He sticks the Worlds best hide and seek champion in the shape of Barry "Anonymous" Mackay in the middle of the park, ffs! 🤦‍♂️

It's also worrying that Naisy is taking no blame for that yesterday, he f**ked it up big time with his tactics and formation, we had more than enough there to get a result, but not playing like that with those tactics, Dundee were deserved winners and really should have won by more. 

As an aside, we keep hearing that referees are relaxing their rules surrounding handball in the box, that's 2 weeks in a row now that we've been on the end of those decisions, don't get me wrong, I'm all for it as penalties should not be getting awarded for handballs like that but it has to be consistent, I'm going to be watching with bated breath to see if it's the same for Rangers and Celtic as it will be for the rest of us, I won't hold my breath! 

1 minute ago, Galajambo said:

As an aside, we keep hearing that referees are relaxing their rules surrounding handball in the box, that's 2 weeks in a row now that we've been on the end of those decisions, don't get me wrong, I'm all for it as penalties should not be getting awarded for handballs like that but it has to be consistent, I'm going to be watching with bated breath to see if it's the same for Rangers and Celtic as it will be for the rest of us, I won't hold my breath! 

Is there an incident I'm not aware of? It was a stupid tackle from Kent that led to the penalty, not a hand ball.