The WSC Questions 24-25: Championship edition

The new edition of WSC is out and has the usual season preview, covering every league down south and, as usual, only the top flight in Scotland.

Let's have the thoughts of the Championship clubs' fans!

Here are the questions asked this year.

How will you do?

Was feeling very pessimistic last week. I'll now go for a cautious 6th.

What was the best moment of last season?

There were a few moments worth a mention, including the back-to-back perfect hat tricks and even getting a VAR penalty at Ibrox, but for me Scottish Cup win over Motherwell at Cappielow was a great night. 

What was the worst moment of last season?

Getting cuffed 4-1 at home by Dundee United on the Friday night TV game.

What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season?

Whoever was responsible for bringing Lewis Strapp back. Definite change in our fortunes after a poor start to the season.

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

This is supposed to be something witty like a club calendar that starts in November or whatever. Truth be told, the amount of merchandise being produced these days is excellent, especially given it's our 150th year. Pity the club never thought to have any available for fans to buy at the recent open training day.

How will you do?

Optimistic for a good season going for the play offs.  Look strong in attack, however not sure if we have quite enough to challenge for the league at the moment (need another midfielder and striker).

Not many to be honest, probably getting Brown in and having someone who looked like they actually knew how to tactically set up a team.

0-4 game v Partick, we just looked terrible.

What was the one act by the club or any individual that most affected how you did last season?

The board eventually getting rid of Bullen, however was too late in January for Brown to get decent additions to try attack the play offs.

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

Probably a decent leather golf scorecard holder.

How will you do? 

The main thing this year is survival which I do think we're more than capable of achieving however we really need to hope that we can sign a few defenders and a creative attacking midfielder before the window shuts as our midfield offers no creativity at the moment we're needing a couple of younger more energetic players as our team is currently too slow especially in defence. 

Inverness away where we were promoted

Either a 0-2 defeat at home to Kelty Hearts in the Scottish Cup or the 1-2 Loss at home to Alloa which saw us lose 3 league games in a row. 

Getting the majority of our players in early last season before the premier sports cup started and getting rid of a lot of the deadwood of guys like Lewis Spence, Matthew Shiels and Michael Doyle and replacing them with a much higher quality and players that knew the league also managing to keep Scott Martin who was a huge miss last season when injured but played a huge part in the playoffs. 

A good away strip to celebrate our 150th anniversary I believe we are the only championship club to not have their away top out yet. 

How will you do?

Think We'll be comfortably top half, its whether we can break into 4th or not is the question, I'm going to go for 4th anyway.

Way too many, Hamilton away the first time round, First half 3-0 vs Hamilton at home, Dundee United in the challenge cup, Morrison last min winner vs Montrose, the pre-match title win before Montrose probably missing alot but its got to be Spencer's penalty to secure Invincible status.

Losing to Bonnyrigg - Scottish Cup

McGlynn's recruitment - 100%

We've already rinsed everything possible...

How will you do?

106 points. Minimum.

(We’ll challenge for the title, at this stage I think we’ll fall just short)

The playoffs always hit differently, and beating Airdrie at home - particularly Graham’s first goal - was sensational stuff.

Throwing away a 2-0 lead against (a pretty poor) Livingston to get dumped out the Scottish Cup.

The response of the fan ownership model to the absolute shitshow left behind by Jacqui Low.

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

f**k knows. Clubs punt far too much shite as it is. 

How will you do?

With a couple more additions I think we can finish in the promotion play-offs places minimum. Recruitment so far has been good but another midfielder and a different option up front (with Bryden going out on loan) would be nice to have.

Bullen getting sacked

Getting absolutely rag dolled at home by Patrick Thistle. That game should have been the end of Bullen.

Firing Bullen. We would have went down if he had remained in charge.

Glow in the dark ceiling stickers.

How will you do?

Hoping for 5th but really anything from 8th upwards will do.

Ajax headhunting our Dutch DoF ultimately enabled us to replace our Dutch manager & avoid relegation (just).

Don't think I can narrow it down to one thing. The Veldman era about covers it.

Recruiting Robin Veldman.

We should focus on building a proper stadium (if not for the fans🙄) to at least house our club shop.

How will you do?

Playoffs for me is the goal but I think we can push for first depending on who our final couple of signings are. This is as optimistic as I’ve felt since the summer of 2017 when we went on to win League One.

Not a great deal to be honest. Results wise, getting the monkey off our back with regard to Partick Thistle courtesy of a last minute Harry McHugh goal was good. Having a 100% record against Airdrie was also quite pleasing. Absolutely demolishing Queens Park at Hampden was probably the most enjoyable game I was at. 

Not taking any points off Morton until our final meeting with them was a bit embarrassing. There were some absolutely stinking results and performances though. 1-0 against Falkirk in the Challenge Cup, 3-1 against Caley at Somerset, 3-0 against Morton at Cappielow, 2-1 against Queens Park at Somerset. Shite!

Probably would be appointing Brown. The results didn’t instantly get better but you felt there was an actual thought out approach to games. He’s also proven that he gets what he wants as he’s had a really solid summer window and got pretty much everything he’s needed. Hopefully a couple more to follow.

Marco Rus masks please!

Edited by D'Jaffo

How will you do?

Until a week ago I would have said we were in a good shout as Champions. We have since sacked our manager after 1 game so it seems unclear how well are going to do. There isn't one stand out team in this league so I'll say we won't be top but will likely finish in the promotion play off spots.

There were many moments in what was a crazy season with many last minute winners. I'll go for Scott Brown scoring a 30 yard screamer in the last minute at a sold out Starks Park in February to keep us in the title race.

Losing 2-0 to Dundee United the following month at Tannadice. We never showed up and basically lost the title that day.

The manager's Murrayball tactic was thrilling whilst it lasted. There was a spell in November where in 3 consecutive games we were trailing after 78 minutes and ending up winning all of them. The amount of last minute winners in the first half of the season was absurd but unfortunately could not be sustained.

The club are have done a pretty decent job of getting merch out there. I'd like to see us rerelease classic away strips such as the Barcelona 94 or McCrae’s Battalion one.

Edited by mrpaddyx

How will you do?

Top half play offs.

When it finished.

What was the worst moment of last season?

When it started.

A season like that does not come down to the actions of one person.  A lot of very good people were done over by the actions of a lot less. 

A hard wearing, top quality, black and amber polo shirt commemorating 30 years at Almondvale. 

How will you do?

Play offs as long as we sign a competent centre half 

Every game against raith was very enjoyable but going to go for Todorov’s last minute winner at hampden.

What was the worst moment of last season?

Every time we crossed paths with anton dowds.

Getting Megwa back on loan in January.

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

Nothing. Our kits have been far too good this year I’m already £150 down, anything else would bankrupt me.

How will you do?

After Sunday's news, the board have signalled that they want to move back to better results and performances. It'll really come down to who comes in. McCabe, Courts or Leven feel like they'd be positive news. Thomson and down on the bookies list need not apply.

Winning 1-0 up at Tannadice was fantastic as was the late winner at Stark's from Scott Brown. But to go into a 5th consecutive derby knowing a win would round off 12 points and complete humiliation of our local rivals - that's exactly what you want. 

What was the worst moment of last season?

Watching us going from 2-0 up against Arbroath to 3-2 down. In fact, just the games in general against Arbroath. Even pumping them for five left you frustrated we couldn't have done it every game. 

Bringing in Shaun Byrne changed us from looking soft and exposed, to having a bit of grit and determination in midfield. 

If you had to come up with a new piece of merchandise to sell at your club shop, what would it be?

Moonboots

How will you do?

Alright.  Will surpass last season's points total.  

The sacking of Lee Bullen. 

Away to Dunfermline early in Brown's time.  A day a lot was learned.  

The club circling the wagons on the fans with 85 hours of interview with the managing director as a distraction tactic because they wanted the idiot manager to stay on. They had to sack him 3 months later.  

New era caps. 

How will you do?

First few LC group games I was thinking we'd be challenging for the title, the loss to Spartans had me thinking we'll be scrapping around 5th/6th. Right now I'll go for 2nd.

If I had to choose one, the Scottish Cup win at Partick in February - specifically the moment Tete Yengi's header bobbled over the line in the 119th minute. To come back from 2-0 down in the way we did seemed like it might have spurred us on enough to take some good form into the league. Spoiler: we didn't.

For the league probably the 3-2 win away to Hibs in August. We started the season with a draw against Aberdeen and a defeat to Rangers, the win against Hibs felt like we could possibly be pushing for top 6 again with no trouble of relegation, and we still had some players to come back from injury too. Wasn't clear at that point that Aberdeen and Hibs were f**king rotten (signs were probably there for Hibs tbf).

Everything other than the above. Can't pinpoint the exact game (tried to put the entire season out of my memory), but there was a point where we'd started our slide down the table and hadn't even had a shot in target in weeks, was that point it was already clear we were going down.

Someone convincing David Martindale that Kurtis Guthrie is a football player.

Also an argument for Martindale desperately trying to sell Joel Nouble while demanding a cool million.

Nouble had a great 7 month or so spell, and it made sense that we would be open to offers and we were all expecting him to leave. Martindale built a system that was winger-less, with eye-bleeding hoofball to go with it. With no one biting at the asking price, Nouble featured for us as a lone striker or attacking midfielder, neither of which are his best position and made him much less effective, but nowhere near as bad as when he played as a wingback. Multiple times.

Stick a Livi badge on this. Job done.

Spoiler

61vvVS8ZEqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.41802d262e80ec64e6e1876bbacc6ea7.jpg