Alloa Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 17 August 2024)

Alloa Athletic will take on Stenhousemuir at the Recs on Saturday for their first league encounter since 2017. How time flies! Both clubs have experienced wild fluctuations in form since then and I'm keen to see how the near neighbours will fare when they meet. Both sides have made decent starts to their respective campaigns. The Wasps have two draws and Stenny, meanwhile, played well on the opening day against Arbroath but looked flat and off the pace against Kelty Hearts seven days later. It's all to play for!

I'm looking forward to visiting the Recs. Andy Graham is a manager I have enormous respect for and I have high hopes for him. I think he's got a good group of players at his disposal and has flair in attack in the likes of Luke Rankin and Luke Donnelly. Stenhousemuir can get at them if they show the same bite and aggression they did against the Lichties, but anything else and I fear they'll get run over in the middle of the park. The same players were outstanding one week but mediocre the next. There's a bit of a conundrum for Gary Naysmith going into this - do you make changes coming into this? If so, who? There's probably a temptation to bring Nat Wedderburn in for his control and authority but you lose the zing and zest with him in midfield. There might also be a call to start Corey O'Donnell after a decent cameo at the weekend. There might also be a clamour to start Blair Alston,

It's a good-ish problem to have. I can see the arguments for beginning with the same team for a third consecutive week, but I can also see us changing it up. We definitely have the tools in reserve if we need to make adjustments, but I hope we're not using them when we're two down.

- Ross Taylor - Matty Yates - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn - James Berry -

- Kinlay Bilham - Kyle Banner - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I'm perhaps not as bullish I was going into the Kelty game but if we play well, we can get something from this game. I'll see you all there!

Will be interesting to see how Naysmith sets out the team. As has been said, we've got some options and will have learnt a few lessons from the Kelty game.

I can see Alston starting and getting, hopefully, 60 minutes out of him.

If he plays, I think we have to play Wedderburn.

Another option could be chucking big O'Donnell on from the start beside Matty Yates. Think that could cause them a few problems and help close down any balls played out from the back. 

Perhaps putting Kelsey Ewen in for Euan O'Reilly may be an option. Could stop Alloa from pushing up and give us an option on the counter. 

Either way, looking forward to going back to the Rec. 

Could go with something like: 

Jamieson,

Bilham, Banner, Bucky, Meechan,

Ewen, Anderson, Wedderburn, Alston, Taylor 

Yates 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

1 hour ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Will be interesting to see how Naysmith sets out the team. As has been said, we've got some options and will have learnt a few lessons from the Kelty game.

I can see Alston starting and getting, hopefully, 60 minutes out of him.

If he plays, I think we have to play Wedderburn.

Another option could be chucking big O'Donnell on from the start beside Matty Yates. Think that could cause them a few problems and help close down any balls played out from the back. 

Perhaps putting Kelsey Ewen in for Euan O'Reilly may be an option. Could stop Alloa from pushing up and give us an option on the counter. 

Either way, looking forward to going back to the Rec. 

Could go with something like: 

Jamieson,

Bilham, Banner, Bucky, Meechan,

Ewen, Anderson, Wedderburn, Alston, Taylor 

Yates 

I am constantly baffled by your tactical suggestions.

If Alston starts, we have to play another player who isn't very quick/mobile along side him?

Play a right back at right attacking mid?

I think years of watching the Warriors may have rotted your brain.

41 minutes ago, Rory said:

How's Berry been for you guys?

Briefly worked with him and seen him against Broomhill for Stirling Uni, seemed a good player and decent guy.

James Berry was a mixed bag last season - he was in and out of the team, and he probably didn't make the most of the opportunities when they can his way, but he did score two hugely important winning goals, one against the Spartans in the 97th minute and the other against Dumbarton when the ball cannoned in off his arse from close range.

He's enjoyed a good pre-season and has started the current campaign well, and is part of the starting XI for the time being. I think everyone hopes he can reach his potential - it was seen as a bit of a coup when he signed him. He's a very good guy too and I hope he can kick on.

4 hours ago, WeeWelshy007 said:

game could go either side's way but i think the home advantage will help us and we'll take the 3 points with a 3-1 win similar to the 3-1 win vs kelty last season under rice

That's very specific?

10 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I am constantly baffled by your tactical suggestions.

If Alston starts, we have to play another player who isn't very quick/mobile along side him?

Play a right back at right attacking mid?

I think years of watching the Warriors may have rotted your brain.

😅😅 probably right.

I'll try to explain my rotted mindset 😅.

No way is Ewen better at attacking a defence than O'Reilly, lets get that out there.

I just think Ewen would offer something a bit different, perhaps a more defensive counter attacking minded option. He's rapid, good endurance, always wants to move the ball forward and has a no bad cross.Then, would possibly be better at doubling up defensively or covering, in areas Alloa can be effective. Would be interesting to see how he played with Meechan sitting behind him.  Might be utter s***e but I'd like to see if he was capable. 

As for Wedderburn in with Alston. You're right we'd lose mobility. However, we have pace in other positions to work the ball too. I think Alston would be able play off Nat quite well, considering Nat's physicality and ball retention skills.

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

Want to apologise in advance to Stenny fan's reading their piece in the Programme this Saturday and seeing Matty Aitken as the one to watch. Considering he makes absolutely zero starting 11 predictions. To be fair, I have caveated it with his recent form and saying he’s only a goal or two away from returning to it? 

Clearly I am still influenced by that incredible winning streak last season. Have just read a pretty decent debate on your own thread about him from end of July, so commentary will definitely be more clued up. Haha. 

Edited by KierenAAFC

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Want to apologise in advance to Stenny fan's reading their piece in the Programme this Saturday and seeing Matty Aitken as the one to watch. Considering he makes absolutely zero starting 11 predictions. To be fair, I have caveated it with his recent form and saying he’s only a goal or two away from returning to it? 

Clearly I am still influenced by that incredible winning streak last season. Have just read a pretty decent debate on your own thread about him from end of July, so commentary will definitely be more clued up. Haha. 

You're just in the process of completely forgetting about wee Scottish teams for the glamour of the EPL. 😉

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Matty Aitken might not even feature on Saturday. Speaking after the Kelty Hearts match, Gary Naysmith said he's been having issues with his back and so didn't make it off the bench.

When they're on form, our front three can be pretty devastating! They're the ones to watch!

Similar to the first two league games, I'm not sure what to expect v a Stenny team I haven't seen play. I do expect it to be a tough game which could go either way.

Hopefully we have a full squad to choose from so that Kurtis comes back in (for Miko 😉). Personally I'd also start Cammy over Buchanan wide right.

There's a good argument for keeping changes to a minimum to allow things to full bed down and it wouldn't surprise me if Andy goes down this route.

Fair do's. There was another few contenders but swerved them. Would be interested to see what shape Alston is in, thought his career was fading but last year's play-offs certainly caught the eye. Stenny a stern test and enjoyed watching their story unfold last season. Apart from the media team (!) kept pretty much everyone there. However, we've definitely got to be looking to pick up maximum points.

Roberts definitely a stick on if fit but equally, comfortably with Stevie and Miko for this game, despite comments from Dumbarton. Would be great for Rankin to get off the mark in the league and feel like it is a good opportunity to do so.

I am looking forward to getting back to my first game at the Recs for the season. Morton away wasn't the thriller I thought it was going to be when coming home.  "wee Scottish teams" still take up much of my time!! 

Edited by KierenAAFC

7 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Alston missed all of pre-season and isn't match fit, so the chances of him starting are pretty slim. 

Don't expect him to start but he'll play some sort of a part. More meant over the course of the season as don't think he has been a regular starter since that 20/21 season for Falkirk.