Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

It’s very clear at this point that Steve Clarke is being given the nations league campaign with James Morrison being made the fall guy for the disastrous euros campaign. The next Scotland match is just 3.5 weeks away so it’s time to move the conversation on.

We are straight back in to pretty much a must win fixture in the context of the group.

I don’t expect major changes to the squad. Callum McGregor has retired of course, but I think the nucleus of the team who underperformed at the euros will be back, albeit with a shake up of the XI’s and more minutes for the younger guys.

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn, Zander Clark, Robby McCrorie

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Anthony Ralston, Jack Hendry, Greg Taylor, Scott McKenna, Ryan Porteous, Grant Hanley, Ross McCrorie

Midfielders: Billy Gilmour, Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Ryan Christie, Connor Barron

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Lawrence Shankland, Tommy Conway, Lewis Morgan, Ben Doak

I am assuming that none of the Newcastle guys will declare and that Hickey, Patterson, Tierney and Ferguson will all remain unavailable through injury but Dykes and Doak will be fit.

I think Armstrong, Forrest, Jack and Cooper will be phased out although wouldn’t be shocked if Armstrong still makes the cut. Grant Hanley and Kenny McLean still in despite their age as we don’t have an abundance of young talent in their positions.

19 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

It’s very clear at this point that Steve Clarke is being given the nations league campaign with James Morrison being made the fall guy for the disastrous euros campaign. The next Scotland match is just 3.5 weeks away so it’s time to move the conversation on.

We are straight back in to pretty much a must win fixture in the context of the group.

I don’t expect major changes to the squad. Callum McGregor has retired of course, but I think the nucleus of the team who underperformed at the euros will be back, albeit with a shake up of the XI’s and more minutes for the younger guys.

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Anthony Ralston, Jack Hendry, Greg Taylor, Scott McKenna, Ryan Porteous, Grant Hanley, Ross McCrorie

Midfielders: Billy Gilmour, Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Ryan Christie, Connor Barron

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Lawrence Shankland, Tommy Conway, Lewis Morgan, Ben Doak

I am assuming that none of the Newcastle guys will declare and that Hickey, Patterson, Tierney and Ferguson will all remain unavailable through injury but Dykes and Doak will be fit.

I think Armstrong, Forrest, Jack and Cooper will be phased out although wouldn’t be shocked if Armstrong still makes the cut. Grant Hanley and Kenny McLean still in despite their age as we don’t have an abundance of young talent in their positions.

It would be nice to get a few surprise additions to the squad as a post Euros boost but it doesn’t really seem that there are any available that are worthwhile. Things can change relatively quickly though and you’ve got to hope it does as we do need some squad progression and freshness.

Using your squad, and given the likely absence of Tierney, the team I would choose would be:

Gunn

Ralston Hanley Hendry Robbo

Gilmour   Christie 

Morgan      Mctom    McGinn 

Dykes 

Agree largely with the squads mentioned above, but seriously hope we can find a better option at right back than Ralston and McRorie.

Both are solid pros, but nothing more - at best they are sticking plasters while Hickey and Patz are injured at, at worst weak links that will unbalance the whole team and cost us results.

Perhaps (drum roll) a back 4 and an orthodox LB/RB setup would be most pragmatic for now, especially with Tierney out injured on the left too.

30 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I agree with most of this squad but McCrorie is expected to be out "for weeks" and it seems like Conway has indeed been frozen out. Johnston's really the only other guy I can think of who has a chance of replacing McCrorie, however he's only played 60 minutes from the bench in a cup game and didn't feature in Sturm Graz's two league games so far. I still think he's most likely to replace McCrorie though. Struggling to think of who'll come in for Conway - maybe Forrest will stick around?

It's also worth remembering that Clarke said after the Gibraltar game that part of the reason he was in the stands to watch us play a back four was because he wanted to see how the team looked in that formation before going into the Nations League and World Cup qualifiers. 

38 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

It’s very clear at this point that Steve Clarke is being given the nations league campaign with James Morrison being made the fall guy for the disastrous euros campaign.

What makes any of that clear? That's your interpretation isn't it?

41 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

If the World Cup qualifying draw is based around the FIFA world rankings then that might another reason we want to do well in the Nations League as we are currently according to my quick check 24th which leaves us at risk of being in pot-3.

Me and most of the lads that met at the airport to boo them off the plane have stayed in touch and will be heading along to this one as well. It's a great opportunity to create a toxic atmosphere and really make life hell for the players/ management. Anyone interested in joining in on our organised display (or just wanting make a donation) feel free to send me a PM.

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Me and most of the lads that met at the airport to boo them off the plane have stayed in touch and will be heading along to this one as well. It's a great opportunity to create a toxic atmosphere and really make life hell for the players/ management. Anyone interested in joining in on our organised display (or just wanting make a donation) feel free to send me a PM.

Are you and the lads interested in a march to the ground from the pub you were going to anyway as a protest to demand improvement?

I won't be able to make it myself but I'll be walking from the bus stop with an anger that the blazers can't ignore. I won't be bought off with a sacrificial James Morrison even if he did sing Light My Fire!

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Are you and the lads interested in a march to the ground from the pub you were going to anyway as a protest to demand improvement?

I won't be able to make it myself but I'll be walking from the bus stop with an anger that the blazers can't ignore. I won't be bought off with a sacrificial James Morrison even if he did sing Light My Fire!

Robby Krieger wrote it though !

Robby police

23 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

If the Newcastle guys were going to declare it would have happened ahead of the Euros with that carrot. There's no chance any of them will declare for us now in the next 18 months. In reality Barnes the only one who might anyway. I suppose Anderson, who is no longer a 'Newcastle boy' might decide he's Scottish again at any time but I suspect it will need a change of coaching team before that becomes a possibility.

Dykes is definitely fit. I've heard nothing about Doak but presumably he's fit. Is he ready to become a full squad pick now though? Was part of the Euros pick not the whole "three extra players, bit of experience" thing? Are Hickey and Patterson still out? I presumed when neither was formally ruled out of the Euros until the week the squad was announced that they can't have been all that far away surely? Hickey was running in early May.

Clearly Tierney and Ferguson are out long term and so apparently is Ross McCrorie. Conway's not getting games for Bristol but is expected to move in the next fortnight. He may be included. Ryan Jack is clubless and not on trial anywhere as far as I know so surely won't be picked. I'm not seeing any reason why Armstrong wouldn't be picked though. He was on the pitch v Hungary and he's not announced any wish not to be considered. Definitely still in our best 24.

I assume we're unlikely to see James Forrest back. Cooper looks like he's joining Portsmouth this week. Not sure he'll be out yet. Hanley apparently had a car crash of a performance for Norwich on Saturday and was hooked early but he did do well in the summer after being forced into action by Tierney's injury.

I don't think your squad will be too far away. I expect Armstrong to be in it and clearly not McCrorie. If neither Hickey nor Patterson is available then Johnston probably comes in. If both are then Ralston likely goes out. And will be interesting to see which, if any, of Conway, Morgan and Doak retain their involvement. Can't see any other particular left field shouts at this point.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If the Newcastle guys were going to declare it would have happened ahead of the Euros with that carrot. There's no chance any of them will declare for us now in the next 18 months. In reality Barnes the only one who might anyway. I suppose Anderson, who is no longer a 'Newcastle boy' might decide he's Scottish again at any time but I suspect it will need a change of coaching team before that becomes a possibility.

Dykes is definitely fit. I've heard nothing about Doak but presumably he's fit. Is he ready to become a full squad pick now though? Was part of the Euros pick not the whole "three extra players, bit of experience" thing? Are Hickey and Patterson still out? I presumed when neither was formally ruled out of the Euros until the week the squad was announced that they can't have been all that far away surely? Hickey was running in early May.

Clearly Tierney and Ferguson are out long term and so apparently is Ross McCrorie. Conway's not getting games for Bristol but is expected to move in the next fortnight. He may be included. Ryan Jack is clubless and not on trial anywhere as far as I know so surely won't be picked. I'm not seeing any reason why Armstrong wouldn't be picked though. He was on the pitch v Hungary and he's not announced any wish not to be considered. Definitely still in our best 24.

I assume we're unlikely to see James Forrest back. Cooper looks like he's joining Portsmouth this week. Not sure he'll be out yet. Hanley apparently had a car crash of a performance for Norwich on Saturday and was hooked early but he did do well in the summer after being forced into action by Tierney's injury.

I don't think your squad will be too far away. I expect Armstrong to be in it and clearly not McCrorie. If neither Hickey nor Patterson is available then Johnston probably comes in. If both are then Ralston likely goes out. And will be interesting to see which, if any, of Conway, Morgan and Doak retain their involvement. Can't see any other particular left field shouts at this point.

Hickey is pretty close but the Brentford manager said the opening game this weekend might be too soon. I’m hopeful he might make the squad for the October/November games. Patterson nowhere to be seen in pre season.

Doak is fit. Played 90 mins for Liverpool on Sunday.

Ryan Jack I think is in talks with St Mirren. He was seen at their European game the other night. I think it’s time to move on from him.

Armstrong is 50/50 for me. He’s pretty old and moving him on would clear space for the likes of Ben Doak to come through, but also I do think he’s still a decent player so the need to move him on isn’t as acute as it is with Ryan Jack or Liam Cooper.

7 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Armstrong is 50/50 for me. He’s pretty old and moving him on would clear space for the likes of Ben Doak to come through, but also I do think he’s still a decent player so the need to move him on isn’t as acute as it is with Ryan Jack or Liam Cooper.

Armstrong is 32. In the scheme of a modern footballer he's hardly "pretty old". Jesus.

He's certainly got another tournament in him if he wants and if he remains capable. There's plenty of space for Doak if the manager wants him there without jettisoning players from a role we don't have all that much cover in. I'd be more intrigued to see if Lewis Morgan's reappearance from nowhere proves to be a brief cameo or the start of something more regular.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Jacob Brown missed Luton Town's first game last night through an issue with his knee cartilage from last year. 

Embarrassingly I had forgotten all about Jacob Brown. And Kevin Nisbet for that matter. I suppose either of them might be in contention.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not seeing any reason why Armstrong wouldn't be picked though. He was on the pitch v Hungary and he's not announced any wish not to be considered. Definitely still in our best 24.

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

I wasn't aware Armstrong is currently clubless when I posted that. Completely missed him getting released by Southampton in the summer. Bit of a surprise as he was a regular. Seems to be on trial at Brentford though. Still think he'll be in our next squad but he probably needs to sort himself a club out in the next fortnight before worrying about that.

4 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Hickey is pretty close but the Brentford manager said the opening game this weekend might be too soon. I’m hopeful he might make the squad for the October/November games. Patterson nowhere to be seen in pre season.

If there's a chance that Hickey might get fit for the September break then, if Brentford allow it, I'd bring him along just to get him back involved in the squad and training.