Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

8 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone else still not excited for these games after the Euro’s? 

I saw @Londonwell mention Ralston in his starting XI and the flicker of hope within me died.

Andy Robertson aside, the defensive options are rubbish.

Midfield is passable.

Forward options are rubbish.

We deserve better, etc.

We need to find some better players.

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I saw @Londonwell mention Ralston in his starting XI and the flicker of hope within me died.

Depressing ain’t it. Not sure who else you play there for these games though. Maybe Johnston will play abit of first team football beforehand…

10 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Also, what atrocity has James Morrison committed? 

Typically it’s a sign when a manager had to persuade his bosses not to sack him. Find a fall guy to pin the blame on and sack him instead.

In this case, Morrison is the scapegoat. 

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Typically it’s a sign when a manager had to persuade his bosses not to sack him. Find a fall guy to pin the blame on and sack him instead.

Remember when Liz Truss sacked her Chancellor 😏

12 hours ago, accies1874 said:

My only two changes from the Euros squad would be Gabe Forsyth for Callum McGregor and Ryan Oné for James Forrest. 

Changed the old picture I see, not as confident he's the messiah?

Just a very bad managing boy

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

You seriously think the SFA were minded to sack Clarke for reaching two tournaments in three and losing a playoff for the other, whilst getting us up to Nations League A? Be careful what you wish for.

I've no idea why Morrison is away assuming he actually is. We've had nothing other than a paper story mentioning he is. Perhaps he wants to return to working every day at club level like Naismith before him? Perhaps Clarke genuinely did think it wasn't working out. If the SFA were minded to dispense with him I doubt throwing Morrison out as a sacrificial lamb would have changed their minds.

2 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

Think now is an opportune time to gut the squad and freshen it up a bit. Say thank you to those who have served is well the past 4/5 years and get an influx of both form players and youngsters.

Seriously? "Gut the squad"?

I don't think there's too many needing "gutted", especially with Nations League games against good sides around the corner. Gordon presumably won't be back and I doubt James Forrest's brief return will extend any further either. McGregor's fallen on his own sword and highly doubtful Ryan Jack will be picked again either. Liam Cooper could well be done now too. I suppose contrary to what I said yesterday before I realised he was clubless then Stuart Armstrong might be heading out of the squad too, shortly if not right now. If we had a better candidate for his position I imagine Grant Hanley would potentially be on rocky ground too but we don't.

Only McGregor (and possibly Hanley) of that group were starters though, The return of Hickey and Patterson in due course will make us younger, as will Lewis Ferguson.

Beyond that? Who's needing gutted? McLean maybe but if he's happy to keep turning up as long as asked for 10 minutes here and there I'm not ready to be chasing him.

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Hmm, not sure what you're basing that opinion on. Perhaps James Morrison wanted to focus on his career at West Brom where he is still employed.   

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seriously? "Gut the squad"?

I don't think there's too many needing "gutted", especially with Nations League games against good sides around the corner. Gordon presumably won't be back and I doubt James Forrest's brief return will extend any further either. McGregor's fallen on his own sword and highly doubtful Ryan Jack will be picked again either. Liam Cooper could well be done now too. I suppose contrary to what I said yesterday before I realised he was clubless then Stuart Armstrong might be heading out of the squad too, shortly if not right now. If we had a better candidate for his position I imagine Grant Hanley would potentially be on rocky ground too but we don't.

Only McGregor (and possibly Hanley) of that group were starters though, The return of Hickey and Patterson in due course will make us younger, as will Lewis Ferguson.

Beyond that? Who's needing gutted? McLean maybe but if he's happy to keep turning up as long as asked for 10 minutes here and there I'm not ready to be chasing him.

"Gut" maybe an excessive word on my behalf.

But yes the players you mentioned "Cooper, Hanley, Armstrong, Gordon" are just a few of the players its probably time to call it a day on

Just now, bobbydazzler said:

"Gut" maybe an excessive word on my behalf.

But yes the players you mentioned "Cooper, Hanley, Armstrong, Gordon" are just a few of the players its probably time to call it a day on

I don't see Clarke chasing Hanley any time soon, particularly when Tierney's out. I imagine he'll be a starter along with Hendry and either Porteous or McKenna in a five or alongside Hendry in a four.

If Armstrong gets another club at any sort of decent level he'll remain involved another campaign (assuming he wants to). He's still contributing.

Gordon's effectively already been cut. He's Clarke's 4th pick at best, didn't go to the Euros and has started the season still No 2 to Zander Clark at his club. Unless that changes very rapidly (granted Clark had a bit of a nightmare at Dundee) then he's not even under any remote consideration. I'd assume Liam Kelly taking himself onto Rangers bench will remove him too, effectively swapping places with McCrorie.

You're really only talking Cooper here, and presumably Jack.

On 13/08/2024 at 10:59, Skyline Drifter said:

Ryan Jack is clubless and not on trial anywhere as far as I know so surely won't be picked. 

On 13/08/2024 at 11:09, JS_FFC said:

Ryan Jack I think is in talks with St Mirren. He was seen at their European game the other night. I think it’s time to move on from him.

Going by the comments he made on the Open Goal podcast this week, you can rule Jack out for now. He is clubless and hasn't been on trial with anyone. He did attend a pre-season camp in Dubai, but that aside has been training alone in Motherwell. Said something along the lines of wanting his next move to be abroad but so far there's been no concrete offers.

30 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Said something along the lines of wanting his next move to be abroad but so far there's been no concrete offers.

I took it as that he'd like to play abroad at some point, not necessarily his next move. Picking hairs I know as after all at 32 and being as injury prone as he is, his next move might very well be his last one. 

That should be it for him and Scotland but something at the back of my mind is telling me that he might still be around the squad as a backup/last resort for these games, especially with Ferguson still out and McGregors sudden retirement. And SC's loyalty to some.

Edited by CM.

Currently got zero enthusiasm for these games

Squad needs a refresh

Not sure who provides it

Id like to see Luke McCowan brought in, but defence and up front are where the problems lie

20 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Currently got zero enthusiasm for these games

Squad needs a refresh

Not sure who provides it

Id like to see Luke McCowan brought in, but defence and up front are where the problems lie

At the end of the day we've got a strength in depth issue which affects our ability to perform consistently at the level necessary to progress from where we've gotten too. There's no shame in that as there isn't an abundance of quality players to select from. That's well understood.

I wouldn't be too despondent about the upcoming games. If you don't go into it considering it as a 'must-win' game it will make it easier, but that's up to you.

My squad:

Gunn, Clark, McCrorie

Ralston, Johnston, Hendry, Porteous, Hanley, Souttar, McKenna, Robertson, Taylor

Gilmour, McTominay, McLean, Barron, McGinn, Christie

Adams, Dykes, Shankland, Morgan, Doak

It's not often you're struggling for numbers to make it to 23 yet here we are. I don't really like the Doak or Johnston calls, but they're young backups in positions we're struggling in. I suppose Conway could be considered, but four strikers is overkill. f**k it, call up Gauld for a laugh.