Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

2 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

It was said as more of a 'someone from the sfa has been in touch regarding his fitness and/or availability'

55 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Ramsay wasn’t even in the Wigan squad yesterday. Is he injured?

Yeah - slight injury according to Maloney. 

He has started one game this season in the cup, and other than that he hasn’t even been able to break into the Wigan team in league one for the season starting.  After a horrible season last year of not getting near it and starting two games across two loan spells. He hasn’t played football regularly for years now, and shouldn’t be near the squad until he looks to have overcome his injury issues and get a regular run IMO. 

It should be Ralston and Johnston, and even if one of them was injured I would be calling up a Scottish league jobber as a stop gap. 

21 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Boggles the mind that we give limited players like Taylor, McCrorie, Forrest, Nisbet, Shankland etc a chance to show us what they can do but yet we hold back on a genuinely talented footballer in Gauld. Yes I know we are strong in the midfield area but no question, Gauld adds creativity in that attacking midfielder area that no other player would in my opinion. Would you not agree in that game against Hungary for example, he would have been a much better fit in that RAM or LAM role than McTominay? 

Why is Gauld more talented but several players who have had excellent careers limited? Forrest has had a career miles in front of that of Gauld for example. 

You can argue for Gauld all you want, but ultimately we don’t really know what level he is at due to his decision to play in America at his peak and it doesn’t help your argument when you completely dismiss other players. Particularly when you suggest he should start over our best goal scorer. 

27 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Why is Gauld more talented but several players who have had excellent careers limited? Forrest has had a career miles in front of that of Gauld for example. 

You can argue for Gauld all you want, but ultimately we don’t really know what level he is at due to his decision to play in America at his peak and it doesn’t help your argument when you completely dismiss other players. Particularly when you suggest he should start over our best goal scorer. 

Theres plenty of players playimg in america who play for far stronger nations than us. So im not sure thats a decent argument.

And Tbf we dont know enough about him because the manager point blank refused to give him a chance. 

Had he been called up before now we would know. And yeah alot of players called up before him hadn't done much of note to deserve it.

But at least we're at a point now where people can suggest a player, like you suggesting Karamko Dembele without getting hit with constant pelters.

Regarding Demebele its absolutely something we should be looking at, the guys done amazingly to turn his career around after being written off. So he's got the character, can he step up again quite possibly.

Will clarke call up a small skillful attacker? I have my doubts, he's got no place for them in his tactics.

Edited by Old Bing

1 minute ago, Old Bing said:

Theres plenty of players playimg in america who play for far stronger nations than us. So im not sure thats a decent argument.

And Tbf we dont know enough about him because the manager point blank refused to give him a chance. 

Had he been called up before now we would know. And yeah alot of players called up before him hadn't done much of note to deserve it.

But at least we're at a point now where people can suggest a player, like you suggesting Karamko Dembele without getting piled constant pelters.

Regarding Demebele its absolutely something we should be looking at, the guys done amazingly to turn his career around after being written off. So he's got the character, can he step up again quite possibly.

Will clarke call up a small skillful attacker? I have my doubts, he's got no place for them in his tactics.

There aren’t very many that move to America in their prime though, and there is a reason for that. My point was around that as apparently Gauld had offers from the big leagues. 

Fair enough though - I would be perfectly happy for him to be in the next squad as we do need something a little different in those positions. We need a bit more creativity and pace - even if it’s from the bench initially. 

Just not into pushing Gauld to the extent dismissing other good footballers who have had better careers up to this point. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There aren’t very many that move to America in their prime though, and there is a reason for that. My point was around that as apparently Gauld had offers from the big leagues. 

Fair enough though - I would be perfectly happy for him to be in the next squad as we do need something a little different in those positions. We need a bit more creativity and pace - even if it’s from the bench initially. 

Just not into pushing Gauld to the extent dismissing other good footballers who have had better careers up to this point. 

It's not dismissing anyone. There better players than me🤣 

But of the players @Butters Scotch mentioned, I'd say bar forrest it's hard to argue any have had better careers.

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Boggles the mind that we give limited players like Taylor, McCrorie, Forrest, Nisbet, Shankland etc a chance to show us what they can do but yet we hold back on a genuinely talented footballer in Gauld. Yes I know we are strong in the midfield area but no question, Gauld adds creativity in that attacking midfielder area that no other player would in my opinion. Would you not agree in that game against Hungary for example, he would of been a much better fit in that RAM or LAM role than McTominay? 

I don't know. It's possible, but isn't that the problem? When a player doesn't play or isn't selected the possibility is vast of what they might be capable of. When they do play then you get the reality and it's almost always never as good. Scotland are quite system specific and so he might not have the same freedom for Scotland that he does at club level.

The phrase: "a chance to show us what they can do" is one that doesn't fit for me. I don't view selecting the team or putting a squad together because fans want to have a look-see at a particular players in a Scotland team. Presumably Clarke has been watching Gauld at Vancouver Whitecaps and it hasn't been enough, whatever the reason, as he hasn't been selected until now. 

35 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

It's not dismissing anyone. There better players than me🤣 

But of the players @Butters Scotch mentioned, I'd say bar forrest it's hard to argue any have had better careers.

I don’t see on what basis Gauld has had a clearly better career than Taylor or Shankland. 

It’s barely even a debate with Taylor. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Stephen Kingsley deserves to be in the squad.

I'd have called him up a couple of years ago, tbh, but I think it now depends on if Clarke's looking to try and replace Tierney with another player (in which case I wouldn't be against Kingsley) or if he'll change the tactics. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t see on what basis Gauld has had a clearly better career than Taylor or Shankland. 

It’s barely even a debate with Taylor. 

Id say he's performed very well in the spl, portugese top flight and the MLS. For me he's done more but it's totally subjective.

Gauld has definitely had a better career than Shankland and Taylor.

He more than held his own in the top league in Portugal, as well as being amongst the top players, with goal contributions.

Personally, I don't even count trophies won by the Old Firm as actual trophies.

Scottish football is rigged and about as predictable and entertaining as watching a kettle boil, and quite honestly, I would rather make this post than watch the current SPL match that's on (St Mirren vs Celtic. I think).

I'll use my magic ball. Celtic are winning.

As for Gauld, he should've been called up when he was in the top league in Portugal. If nothing else than to see what he can do.

But no, Clarke calls Fraser with his little legs running like the clappers routine (which people mistook for pace) and Armstrong with his Lloyd Christmas running after the coach, at the end of "Dumb and Dumber" routine.

Steve Clarke has done more right things than wrong, but ignoring Gauld is a strange one.

Anyway, it's in the past.

The more immediate issue is so many of our players not getting game time.

Only 4 of the starting XI who played against Hungary have started this weekend. I'm not counting McGregor, as he's retired. I am counting Robertson as he'll most probably be starting later.

14 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Personally, I don't even count trophies won by the Old Firm as actual trophies.

Scottish football is rigged and about as predictable and entertaining as watching a kettle boil, and quite honestly, I would rather make this post than watch the current SPL match that's on (St Mirren vs Celtic. I think).

Then, to be frank, your opinion on players playing regularly at that level is worthless as its clearly heavily biased.

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

First of all I didn't state he should start over McTominay but McTominay was playing in a position that wasn't suited to him against Hungary through no fault of his own. A Gauld type player would of been a more ideal fit. 

Excellent careers? You must have a different definition of excellent to me then, dearie me. 

We are not exactly blessed with footballers like Gauld, the point I'm making and majority of others it seems is that it is crazy he hasn't been given an opportunity by now. 

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't know. It's possible, but isn't that the problem? When a player doesn't play or isn't selected the possibility is vast of what they might be capable of. When they do play then you get the reality and it's almost always never as good. Scotland are quite system specific and so he might not have the same freedom for Scotland that he does at club level.

The phrase: "a chance to show us what they can do" is one that doesn't fit for me. I don't view selecting the team or putting a squad together because fans want to have a look-see at a particular players in a Scotland team. Presumably Clarke has been watching Gauld at Vancouver Whitecaps and it hasn't been enough, whatever the reason, as he hasn't been selected until now. 

You are trying to point out that you think Gauld doesn't fit Clarke's system. Football is a simple game made hard a lot of the time, it really isn't rocket science to get him used to Clarke's tactics. 

There's a reason why a lot of people on here and the media touting Gauld to be included into the national setup, he's a very skillful footballer that can carry the ball forward, dribble past players, has great close control and someone that will provide alot of assists to olthe forward line. Criminal he hasn't been given a chance by now. 

9 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Given no Tierney and us needing some genuine wide options who can actually get at people one v one I think Dembélé is a potentially interesting one, in addition to Doak. 

IMG_1106.png

Has something changed with Dembélé? He hasn't played for a Scottish youth side in 6 years and last I heard he said he would only play for England. Has he discovered he doesn't have a future with England already?

40 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Has something changed with Dembélé? He hasn't played for a Scottish youth side in 6 years and last I heard he said he would only play for England. Has he discovered he doesn't have a future with England already?

You might be right but I definitely can't remember him saying that.

I suppose when he was 16 and supposed to be the next big thing he probably had his pick. I couldn't imagine him being anywhere near the England squad at the moment. So perfect timing to get in there I'd say.

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

First of all I didn't state he should start over McTominay but McTominay was playing in a position that wasn't suited to him against Hungary through no fault of his own. A Gauld type player would of been a more ideal fit. 

Excellent careers? You must have a different definition of excellent to me then, dearie me. 

We are not exactly blessed with footballers like Gauld, the point I'm making and majority of others it seems is that it is crazy he hasn't been given an opportunity by now. 

How many trophies have Forrest and Taylor won? Including numerous European appearances. 

There isn’t a world in which you can suggest Ryan Gauld has so far had a better career than James Forrest. 

I don’t think it’s crazy that he hasn’t been given an opportunity given the other options, but I would agree given his skill set and us needing a different type of midfielder that he should be called up now. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

No idea, but players with dual nationality always seem to switch about at youth level. He is obviously also miles off an England call up at the moment!

Seems like it was 5 years ago he "picked" England, but that most likely has changed.

Ivory Coast probably more likely to call him up.