League Cup QF draw

34 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

For an open draw, the quarter-final League Cup draw never seems to draw Aberdeen, Celtic and Sevco together.... remarkable coincidence

I think most Aberdeen fans would love to draw Tweedle Dum or Tweedle Dee up in Aberdeen but it's never happens over the last 15 years.

I honestly believe the League Cup Quarter Final draw is set up to avoid certain fixtures being drawn.

I remember us beating Rangers 1-0 in a league cup QF at Pittodrie but it might have been more than 15 years ago because I'm getting old and my memory is shite. Will need to check AFC heritage.

Edit: 1999 😆

Andy Dow winner. FFS.

Edited by Suspect Device

Naturally I’ll ignore the final.  :(

ETA I know it’s a different competition but it can be done.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I genuinely believe this, I don't think there was any chance of The  Spartans drawing Falkirk for instance today... it's a sham to assist teams that shouldn't need any more additional assistance than they already have....

I mean, you literally watched a man draw the balls out of a clear plastic bowl at random.

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Will they get to play a semifinal at Hampden or would it need to be switched to a ‘neutral’ venue? 

Rangers played a semi-final at “neutral” Ibrox in 2014. 

I recall a some Rangers fans thought it would count as a home game so would be able to buy their season ticket seats no matter the stand. 

2 hours ago, Stu_81 said:

Not sure im comfortable with rangers getting to play a potential semi final at hampden given the circumstances around them playing several games on that pitch this season, has to be played at Murrayfield surely.

If the dons face rangers in the league cup this season i fully expect the game to be played at the home of Rugby.

Bit harsh having to trek to New Zealand tbqh.

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Have a team ever played all their games in a competition at the same ground (assuming rangers win the next 2) 

3 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

No 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The serious answer to this is that yes, Queen's Park did it in 1873/74. They were drawn at home in each of the first three rounds (semis weren't neutral until the 1920s), and then also played the final at the first Hampden (not actually sure if this was also a home draw).

Dundee also played at Dens Park in every League Cup round - culminating with losing the Final at home to their city rivals - during 1980-81.

EDIT: it also got done twice by Raith in old B Division Supplementary Cup (equivalent of Challenge Cup nowadays) in 1946-47 and 1948-49. They too lost both finals.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Bit harsh having to trek to New Zealand tbqh.

Shaping up to be another classic case example of sfa giving 60/40 advantage calls to one of the old firm teams before a balls kicked, this time its rangers at 2nd home in a neutral cup game, deary me.

I guess Doncaster was absent for the module titled fairness in sport during his study days 

Edited by Stu_81

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I remember us beating Rangers 1-0 in a league cup QF at Pittodrie but it might have been more than 15 years ago because I'm getting old and my memory is shite. Will need to check AFC heritage.

Edit: 1999 😆

Andy Dow winner. FFS.

We also played them in 2004 at Pittodrie 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I mean, you literally watched a man draw the balls out of a clear plastic bowl at random.

Literally, I didn't, I listened to the draw on radio.

So what, there's many ways to fix a draw just like there's many ways to skin a cat...stick the hairdryer on four of them, and it's hot Vs cold, and you can still use your clear plastic bowl.

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

So what, there's many ways to fix a draw just like there's many ways to skin a cat...stick the hairdryer on four of them, and it's hot Vs cold, and you can still use your clear plastic bowl.

[CherylTweedyok.gif]

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

For an open draw, the quarter-final League Cup draw never seems to draw Aberdeen, Celtic and Sevco together.... remarkable coincidence

I think most Aberdeen fans would love to draw Tweedle Dum or Tweedle Dee up in Aberdeen but it's never happens over the last 15 years.

I honestly believe the League Cup Quarter Final draw is set up to avoid certain fixtures being drawn.

You made me check.

The chances of any two clubs being drawn together in a QF is draw is 1 in 7. The chances of any 2 of 3 clubs being drawn together in a QF is (I think) 2 in 7.

In the last 25 years, including this season, Celtic and Rangers have each made 22 League Cup QFs. Celtic have been at home in exactly half, Rangers one more than half. No conspiracy there.

Aberdeen have made the QF 14 times, being drawn at home 9 times. So they're above average but nothing out of the ordinary, well within natural distribution.

Celtic and Rangers have been in the same QF draw 20 times. On average they would have been drawn together just under 3 times; they've been drawn together twice. That's normal too. They haven't been drawn together in the past 14 draws they've shared though so they're pushing towards lucky, but it's cherrypicking to start at the last time it happened.

Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have been in the same draw 12 times. Aberdeen have never drawn either of the other two, and only once in those 12 draws were any of the two drawn against each other. Something that's a 2 in 7 chance not happening in 12 attempts is, I think, 1.764%. (1-(2/7) to power 12).

However... Abedeen draw Rangers at Pittodrie in the QF of the League Cup 26 years ago, so I kinda doomed my own exercise by limiting it to 25 years.

I didn't want you to be right but I can't say you're wrong.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 21.48.23.png

Edited by GordonS

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It’s easy. All you need is a bowl, hair dryer, and the complicity and silence of every presenter, staff member, guest draw assistant, audience member, cameraman, TV producer….

29 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

It’s easy. All you need is a bowl, hair dryer, and the complicity and silence of every presenter, staff member, guest draw assistant, audience member, cameraman, TV producer….

This idea that there's some c**t backstage at national cup draws blasting balls with a f**king hair dryer. Ffs.

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Yup, a whole load of people not exactly famous for keeping secrets.

You'd think that if they were fixing draws there would be evidence in the actual outcome of draws. One of the main claims like this is that Celtic and Rangers are kept apart in draws, but the frequency with which it happens is completely normal. The other main claim is that they're given home draws - that's not true either. So if they're not being kept apart or given home draws, what's the fix?

It's just confirmation bias.

Edited by GordonS

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

You made me check.

The chances of any two clubs being drawn together in a QF is draw is 1 in 7. The chances of any 2 of 3 clubs being drawn together in a QF is (I think) 2 in 7.

In the last 25 years, including this season, Celtic and Rangers have each made 22 League Cup QFs. Celtic have been at home in exactly half, Rangers one more than half. No conspiracy there.

Aberdeen have made the QF 14 times, being drawn at home 9 times. So they're above average but nothing out of the ordinary, well within natural distribution.

Celtic and Rangers have been in the same QF draw 20 times. On average they would have been drawn together just under 3 times; they've been drawn together twice. That's normal too. They haven't been drawn together in the past 14 draws they've shared though so they're pushing towards lucky, but it's cherrypicking to start at the last time it happened.

Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have been in the same draw 12 times. Aberdeen have never drawn either of the other two, and only once in those 12 draws were any of the two drawn against each other. Something that's a 2 in 7 chance not happening in 12 attempts is, I think, 1.764%. (1-(2/7) to power 12).

However... Abedeen draw Rangers at Pittodrie in the QF of the League Cup 26 years ago, so I kinda doomed my own exercise by limiting it to 25 years.

I didn't want you to be right but I can't say you're wrong.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 21.48.23.png

Excellent effort, thank you.

Another oddity about the 2004/04 League Cup draw was that Rangers (as they were then) were drawn at Pittodrie in the round before the quarter-finals.

I understand that my 15 year time frame appears to be cherrypicking; however, a new governing body might necessitate new policies. Am I correct in saying that the SPFL came into existence in 2013?

Which would mean, as we can see by your helpful table, not once have Aberdeen-Celtic-Sevco been drawn against each other since the new governing body was formed, although the shorter time frame would reduce the likelihood.

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I thought the draw was fair and I for one am delighted with it.

I'm surprised by that. I thought as a Falkirk fan who would like the best opportunity for your club to reach the final and possibly win the tournament. I don't think any club in Scotland fancy there chances at Parkhead.

4 hours ago, George Parr said:

This idea that there's some c**t backstage at national cup draws blasting balls with a f**king hair dryer. Ffs.

Yeah, I think you've taken me to literal there, it wouldn't actually need a hairdryer to change the temperature would it now?

FIFA have been accused of fixing draws with heated by none other than Sepp Blatter (not a particularly trusted source I agree)

The FA were accused of rigging a 5th Round draw in England after a draw that caused suspicion.