Motherwell Vs Hearts - 25/08/24

Also, phenomenal to hear donkey noises getting fired out to a Hearts player at Fir Park. Had to double check Dave McPherson hadn't been subbed on! 

What annoys me about playing Spittal deeper is we tried it in pre season and Naismith said he was checking to see if he could be an option as part of rotation after Europe and we were carrying injuries. Fine to try that, but he then publicly said it never worked. So to start him in an important game is stupid and also unfair on Spittal. 

Motherwell deserved to win, there's no question about that. I'd be wary of reading to much into it from a Motherwell point of view though, as we are a very cheap date at the moment.

Motherwell did very simple things and Hearts dealt with them absolutely appallingly. I actually laughed when I realised the first goal had been given. It was such a terrible goal I assumed - as did everyone around me - that it must be offside. Can't put into words how bad the defending was. And it got worse from there.

From the upper tier in the away end the view gave us a clear sight of the massive gaps Hearts were leaving all over the park when Motherwell had possession. We were about six pints deep and could see three or four passes ahead every time Motherwell had the ball. 

Genuinely f**king amateurish stuff. A deeply concerning performance.

I don't mean to be rude about Motherwell, they played well and deserved to win, but against a good side we'd have been absolutely battered yesterday.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Tbf, I don't think @VincentGuerinis being rude at all. Hearts were poor, I agree, and we probably could've taken two or three more off you as well. Gordon made a couple of cracking saves, don't forget. 

However, we're still very much a work in progress ourselves. We've not seen a performance like that in a good while at Fir Park so we're taking the positives where we can. Are we at 100% yet? Far from it, much like Hearts, but based on that yesterday we can see where we're aiming for. 

Also, and I don't have any ill feeling against Hearts, a win against them at any point is still a magic feeling. There's just something about tucking away Hearts or Aberdeen. It just hits different. 

All the best to the Jambo's on Thursday night.

Gordon had one unbelievable, though pretty lucky,  save.   The other one was absolutely routine. 

You need to make teams work for their goals as an absolute minimum in any level of football, not actively participate in giving them away.   

The squad overall is strong but pick a settled defence and give yourself a platform to attack in games or teams will continue to find it easy to beat us

We are desperately in need of another forward option with a bit of pace and strength at the minute as well

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Obviously you can tell Shankland to stay up but he improved exponentially by turning himself into the guy who drops deep... asking him to stop doing this (particularly if the rumours about what you might offer him to extend are true) now seems a little counterproductive.

He didn't improve exponentially, that's just nonsense. It also only really worked for a few months with Ginnelly. He left Hearts a year ago.

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

He didn't improve exponentially, that's just nonsense. It also only really worked for a few months with Ginnelly. He left Hearts a year ago.

Fair enough, only going on highlights for the most part, but he looked miles better from what I saw being deep rather than on the last man. Was he not playing the same position last season then?

As great a keeper as he is, I'm not having Craig Gordon getting credit for the ball being cracked off his forehead from a yard away.

I got the logic in Hearts signing us and Ross County's best players to build a squad that can compete on two fronts etc but it does feel like they've just stockpiled a lot of slow, technical, not particularly physical #10s. Do Boyce, Mckay, Spittal, and Dhanda not all basically want to occupy the exact same positions on the park, with Shankland also dropping deep half the time too?

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

32 minutes ago, Al B said:

As great a keeper as he is, I'm not having Craig Gordon getting credit for the ball being cracked off his forehead from a yard away.

Which is fine if he didn't do it every f**kin time we play him.

Will be putting up bunting and hosting a BBQ when he retires.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I got the logic in Hearts signing us and Ross County's best players to build a squad that can compete on two fronts etc but it does feel like they've just stockpiled a lot of slow, technical, not particularly physical #10s. Do Boyce, Mckay, Spittal, and Dandha not all basically want to occupy the exact same positions on the park, with Shankland also dropping deep half the time too?

Boyce is an issue as his legs are gone.   I think there's definitely a problem with trying to shoehorn similar players into the same team though.   Given the amount of games  we'll play you need more than one player in each position but to me you'd play one of McKay, Dhanda or Spittal at a time

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ahh so close to a greenie. 

Logically you should be wanting us to win even if you hate us.   The Europa league is more games and likely some heavy defeats which are bad for morale.  It's likely not even much more money given the lower chance of picking up some wins against Diddy teams

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Logically you should be wanting us to win even if you hate us.   The Europa league is more games and likely some heavy defeats which are bad for morale.  It's likely not even much more money given the lower chance of picking up some wins against Diddy teams

f**k your logic, this is 100% pure pettiness. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Fair enough, only going on highlights for the most part, but he looked miles better from what I saw being deep rather than on the last man. Was he not playing the same position last season then?

I thought he looked a lot better playing on the shoulder of Bushiri, for example, and rocketing one in the top corner than he does wandering around in someone else's space doing nothing.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yeah, to give him credit, he needs to be in the right place for the ball to hit that forehead 😄

On 26/08/2024 at 11:52, thisGRAEME said:

c***s been haunting me ever since that ridiculous save from David Clarkson's volley at Tynecastle years ago. Go and take up golf or something, Craig.