Aberdeen v Kilmarnock

Re "clear and obvious error" I think there's some confusion about what this actually means.

Let's say there's an incident.  The ref knows what he thinks he saw and he gives a yellow card.

He's asked to go to the monitor and watching the playback realises that what he thought he saw was not what actually happened.  And that if he had seen what happened he'd have given a red card. 

The playback has revealed a "clear and obvious error".  The referee made his original decision based on what he thought happened but didn't.  He now makes a correct decision based on what did happen.

Lots of people seem to be claiming that before he can amend the card additional criteria must be met.  That, even if a red would have been a correct decision, if there any sort of argument that a yellow card could have been valid, then the the original yellow is not a "clear and obvious error" and should stand.

That looks daft.  Only the referee knows whether the playback reveals that he made his decision based on an error.  He knows what he thinks the correct decision would be now that he has a better understanding of the facts.  It is not his job to try to work out whether someone else might deem it was only a yellow card offence, thus rendering his error "not clear and obvious".  His job is to make the right decision now that he has a better understanding of the facts.

A case of there not being a "clear and obvious error" would be one where what the referee saw looking at the monitor was consistent with what he originally saw.  Not one where the original decision, based on a misunderstanding of what happened, could be defended as correct even though the referee would have made a different one had he seen it clearly.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

Glad Vassell wasn't playing yesterday. Don't think he'd have turned the result but our cbs would have had a harder time. 

Don't know what to make of big Pape. Two great finishes and really good movement but with his back to goal he looks like he's trying to trap a beach ball with flippers. Maybe worth a shot up front, but then he'd that miss where he fell over. 

Loads of good performances. Would like to see a bit more sustained urgency in the press. i guess we took the foot off when it became apparent that they'd punt it aimlessly press or no press, but on (one, i think) occasion they played through it quite easily, which is a worry. 

It's amazing what a difference an actual gameplan makes. 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Kilmarnock haven't upset me in the slightest. After getting the run around from them three times last season it was nice to do it to them? as no doubt Kilmarnock fans will do the same to us if they give us a hard time in any of the remaining two/three league games. I like Derek McInnes, but was disappointed to see him give a Stephen Robinson/Stuart Kettlewell type after match interview after being outplayed.

They are taking it better than st Mirren tbf. 

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Glad Vassell wasn't playing yesterday. Don't think he'd have turned the result but our cbs would have had a harder time. 

Don't know what to make of big Pape. Two great finishes and really good movement but with his back to goal he looks like he's trying to trap a beach ball with flippers. Maybe worth a shot up front, but then he'd that miss where he fell over. 

Loads of good performances. Would like to see a bit more sustained urgency in the press. i guess we took the foot off when it became apparent that they'd punt it aimlessly press or no press, but on (one, i think) occasion they played through it quite easily, which is a worry. 

It's amazing what a difference an actual gameplan makes. 

Agree with lots of what you say min, but bit harsh to highlight the situation where he fell over.

In his defence, watching it again, I am firmly believe that he was taken unexpected and really didn't expect that ball to reach him 😕 

5 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Agree with lots of what you say min, but bit harsh to highlight the situation where he fell over.

In his defence, watching it again, I am firmly believe that he was taken unexpected and really didn't expect that ball to reach him 😕 

Could be. Could also be that he's better with his head than his feet. Not really judging him on that one incident. I've got high hopes that his ball retention will improve when he gets used to how much time he'll get. At least he took out an opponent when he fell. 

falling-with-style-blast-off.gif.91528fd996e2ed113ea2170140bbc90d.gif

On 25/08/2024 at 18:21, Dons_1988 said:

6 months ago killie patter was rightly that we were shite, now reduced to ‘uh guys, stop saying things about our manager’. Pleasing. 

Enjoy the win though your current run will end shortly. By game 30 you will be fighting Hibs to get that 6th place. You heard it hear first. 

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

They are taking it better than st Mirren tbf. 

4 hours ago, KTID26 said:

Enjoy the win though your current run will end shortly. By game 30 you will be fighting Hibs to get that 6th place. You heard it hear first. 

Maybe not.

4 hours ago, KTID26 said:

I'd be happy enough with a top six finish tbh

5 hours ago, KTID26 said:

Think Aberdeen will be better than that as, so far anyway, it seems like they’ve got a competent manager this time. They’ve already got a big gap to us and Hibs (and Hearts). Even though it’s early on in the season speaking for us only I doubt we will catch Aberdeen now, 9 points is a fair margin.

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Think Aberdeen will be better than that as, so far anyway, it seems like they’ve got a competent manager this time. They’ve already got a big gap to us and Hibs (and Hearts). Even though it’s early on in the season speaking for us only I doubt we will catch Aberdeen now, 9 points is a fair margin.

Nearly insurmountable with only 35 games left and at least 2 more meetings to come...

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Nearly insurmountable with only 35 games left and at least 2 more meetings to come...

Still think it’s a big gap.

2 years ago we went 9 points behind St Johnstone and, even with some spikes in good form, we never really closed that gap back. It came to 5 or 6 a couple of times but the consistency wasn’t there.

Then last season Hearts opened a good gap on us whilst we opened a good gap on you and again none of those gaps ever really closed.

It’s not impossible but in this league, when dealing with decent teams, a 9 point gap can be tough to close. If we were 9 points behind Ross County or say a Livingston just now then I would expect we could close gaps to those teams as at some stage they might lost 5 or 6 in a row but currently I don’t see Aberdeen doing that.

20 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Still think it’s a big gap.

2 years ago we went 9 points behind St Johnstone and, even with some spikes in good form, we never really closed that gap back. It came to 5 or 6 a couple of times but the consistency wasn’t there.

Then last season Hearts opened a good gap on us whilst we opened a good gap on you and again none of those gaps ever really closed.

It’s not impossible but in this league, when dealing with decent teams, a 9 point gap can be tough to close. If we were 9 points behind Ross County or say a Livingston just now then I would expect we could close gaps to those teams as at some stage they might lost 5 or 6 in a row but currently I don’t see Aberdeen doing that.

A few years ago hearts made a blistering start under levein and we found ourselves 10 points behind them in like October. Think we eventually finished 16 points ahead of them. 

The league has barely started yet. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A few years ago hearts made a blistering start under levein and we found ourselves 10 points behind them in like October. Think we eventually finished 16 points ahead of them. 

The league has barely started yet. 

I’m confident we will be ok and hopefully you and @Jacksgranda and @KTID26 are all right and we’ll leave you floundering behind us again.

12 hours ago, KTID26 said:

Don't actually think any of us are under any illusions that we are the finished article, but eighteen games undefeated over ninety minutes in any competition is pretty decent by anyone's standard.

Of course the run will end at some point, maybe even in our next game, but doubt it'll collapse to the extent you predict.