Routine Home Win Ra Hoops v No hopers

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indirect free kick for handball in the box, unless it’s denying a goal. 

Only sensible outcome if we insist on this being the handball rule. 

Been saying this for years.

Willie Collum was on the radio last week and said that prior to the law change he'd hardly ever awarded a penalty for handball.

38 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Been saying this for years.

Willie Collum was on the radio last week and said that prior to the law change he'd hardly ever awarded a penalty for handball.

To be clear I’d rather an accidental handball wasn’t an offence at all. 

But if IFAB insist that a handball through what most of the time seems to be an involuntary motion is an ‘offence’, then the punishment needs to fit the crime. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

The Rangers one, the ball is going to hit Barron on another part of his body if it doesn't hit his arm. The Celtic one, the ball is flying into the box if the Hearts player doesn't stop it with his arm. Good improvements to the handball laws this season.

I saw Collum saying the same thing. As I said at the time, I'm fine with that one not being a penalty (if applied consistently) but it was not going to hit another part of his body.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

To be clear I’d rather an accidental handball wasn’t an offence at all. 

But if IFAB insist that a handball through what most of the time seems to be an involuntary motion is an ‘offence’, then the punishment needs to fit the crime. 

I think the issue with the IFAB laws around handball suggests it is an offence if it is deliberate or a player has made their body unnaturally bigger.

A lot of the time I think referees are interpreting “making their body unnaturally bigger” as a deliberate act, when in fact a lot of the incidents that are penalised are quite clearly natural movements.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think the issue with the IFAB laws around handball suggests it is an offence if it is deliberate or a player has made their body unnaturally bigger.

A lot of the time I think referees are interpreting “making their body unnaturally bigger” as a deliberate act, when in fact a lot of the incidents that are penalised are quite clearly natural movements.

Yeah there’s definitely a skewed definition of deliberate. I’d argue that actual ‘deliberate’ handballs are extremely rare. 

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

It is a naturel movement unless you move your arm to the ball.

If you freeze frame an image of a cross in to the box then a lot of the players arms are in slightly different places. This is natural for them for whatever direction they are about to move too or jump from or fall over on. 

What is not natural is lunging in to block a cross with your hands gripped together behind your back.

9 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Wasn’t about the proximity, it’s where it hit. If it hits your arms above the t-shirt line it isn’t a penalty which is what it appears to be in this case. From 1 angle it almost looks like his shoulder which shows how high up the arm it hit

IMG_8650.png

It hits him higher up than I thought initially yesterday, but still below the t-shirt line IMO.

21 minutes ago, ahemps said:

It is a naturel movement unless you move your arm to the ball.

If you freeze frame an image of a cross in to the box then a lot of the players arms are in slightly different places. This is natural for them for whatever direction they are about to move too or jump from or fall over on. 

What is not natural is lunging in to block a cross with your hands gripped together behind your back.

If you don't want to give the ref/VAR a decision to make you should keep your arms behind your back.

I didn't think the Hearts penalty claim was a penalty, but I also didn't think the Celtic one was a penalty either (although I agree there was more of a case for it than our one), based on the penalty we didn't get awarded against Rangers in the first game of the season. 

Sadly, it's rule changes for everyone apart from the bigot brothers and it's utterly depressing, sigh! 

With that Scales one it shouldn't really matter where it hits him on the arm anyway. He's challenging for a ball and it's headed on to him from about a yard away, I don't think there's any sensible version of the rule where that should be a penalty.

4 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

If you don't want to give the ref/VAR a decision to make you should keep your arms behind your back.

I understand that is why players are doing it but it is the bizarre scenario football is in now with the handball rule that players have to do this.

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah there’s definitely a skewed definition of deliberate. I’d argue that actual ‘deliberate’ handballs are extremely rare. 

Agree, no player save a Suarez against Ghana situation is going to deliberately handle the ball. Not like you’re going to ask a player who just gave a clear penalty by having his arms out if he meant it or not and then take his word and say sorry guys no penalty. 

15 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Agree, no player save a Suarez against Ghana situation is going to deliberately handle the ball. Not like you’re going to ask a player who just gave a clear penalty by having his arms out if he meant it or not and then take his word and say sorry guys no penalty. 

IMG_0741.gif.3fbeb2b856aebf441cd61f60fae8466a.gif