Ross County vs St. Johnstone - Sat 21/9/2024

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Where the f**k has he got nine minutes from? One injury stoppage and two very brief VAR checks?

You’re goalkeeper for a start. Got away with murder with his awful time wasting. Anti football!

Shades of the United game at home; in that we really should’ve been comfortable at half time yet found ourselves level. I don’t know what Don is saying to them at half time but it’s also several times now it’s taken us 25-30 mins in the second half to get going. Fair play to them for sticking in and getting the point though - could be crucial given that these two teams will definitely be fighting it out come the end of the season again. Akil Wright is turning out to be an incredible signing, and fair play to Alex Samuel who provided another spark off the bench again. So frustrating to lose 3 goals against that today, though. 3 decent strikes in fairness to them, but I seriously thought St Johnstone were utter shite.

A wee shout out to the St J keeper:

In somewhere approaching 30 years of watching football ranging in standard from top flight all the way down to old third division at Victoria Park, I'm fairly sure that's the first time I've ever seen someone send a goal kick out of the stadium.

20 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

A wee shout out to the St J keeper:

In somewhere approaching 30 years of watching football ranging in standard from top flight all the way down to old third division at Victoria Park, I'm fairly sure that's the first time I've ever seen someone send a goal kick out of the stadium.

To be fair, your 'stadium' is about 15ft high so there is that 

58 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

I'm not getting what Chilvers is adding to the team and God alone knows what he was doing in the lead up to conceding the free kick which then saw County go into Keystone Cops mode in setting up the wall.

Thought during the game that the Chilvers lad is your Cammi MacPherson. Has some nice touches but carries himself and generally plays like a guy that's got abilitity but just isn't as good as he believes he is. Hope for your sake he doesn't have the same off-field baggage. He also doesn't seem to blame everyone else for his mistakes.

Anyway ... I have no doubt at all that we saw the two poorest teams in the league out there today, at this stage of the season*. Think we've got a slight advantage in bulleting our failing manager first, but might come down to a combination of luck and whose owner has the bigger appetite for risk. We have glasgow hatebrothers double-header coming up so we're likely to be bottom 2 before the leaves are off the trees.

Definately sold our sould ate the crossroads for the double.

*disclaimer being I've not paid much attention to Hearts.

5 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

True, but your 'stadium' is also pish

If there is one set of fans in the ‘Scottish Premiership’ that I will refuse to accept this chat from, it would have to be St Johnstone. 

1 minute ago, Weird Fishes said:

If there is one set of fans in the ‘Scottish Premiership’ that I will refuse to accept this chat from, it would have to be St Johnstone. 

Ours is a stadium. Purpose built all seater. First in the UK.

Yours is an old park with some seats built around it.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

To be fair, Efete usually gets a nose bleed every time he touches the ball.  I would have thought Wright could get at him too. 

Worth mentioning they've tried Wright on the left multiple times now and every time it's killed his game.

We had him in one of the cup games destroying our opponents on the right in front of Keltjens, then inexplicably they moved him to left and you never saw him on the ball again.

It's one of the worst things about a lot of managers. They get some great idea in their head, then refuse to see how stupid it is because they can only see the logic they saw when making the decision.

I think no Sidibeh or Kimpioka a big thing too. One of them is there then it's Kirk coming off the bench and the fresh legs up front to counter at 3-1/3-2.

Instead it's McPake off the bench who looked totally lost.

1 hour ago, Weird Fishes said:

but I seriously thought St Johnstone were utter shite.

I’m not going to argue as there’s a lot to criticise Saints for so far this season, but genuine question, do you think County were any better? 

County were stronger in the first half, but up until our third goal we were the better team in the second half.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m not going to argue as there’s a lot to criticise Saints for so far this season, but genuine question, do you think County were any better? 

County were stronger in the first half, but up until our third goal we were the better team in the second half.

No, I don’t. 

Over the piece, I think it would’ve been unfair had we taken nothing from the game, though.

ETA: I also won’t argue that Saints were the better team in the second half, but it’s hardly like you were made to work for any of your goals. I also don’t remember you creating anything - but my memory may be serving me incorrectly. 

Edited by Weird Fishes

47 minutes ago, Weird Fishes said:

Shades of the United game at home; in that we really should’ve been comfortable at half time yet found ourselves level...

but I seriously thought St Johnstone were utter shite.

Good comparison to the United game, felt the same. Slight exception being, United are a better team... for now at least.

That was as VERY poor St. Johnstone side as County will face, with injuries and all, managerless. If Saints can get a half decent manager they will improve. While it was another great comeback, a draw isn't a great result overall especially as at home. A match that County should have won easily.

Just hope Steven Naismith is still Hearts manager for the away match there next week.

Aye there wasn't much between the sides really.

Both look fine when confidence is high, both look awful the moment anything goes wrong. Neither have a good enough goalkeeper, neither have a good enough manager.

Over a season, with no changes, I think County would finish above us but I'd be surprised if they weren't 11th to our 12th.

Quick rundown on some county players from my recollection 

Laidlaw - disappointing to be beaten twice by direct free kicks, would like to see that again

Brown - thought he was pretty decent again, he's happy to get forward and looked like he could make something happen

Wright - said it already, he's my current favourite player. He's too good for us, just delighted he's here and his goals are vital

Lopata - looked pretty solid

Leak - also seemed fine as part of back three

Campbell - if he's going to be playing that far up the pitch he *must* do better with his product. He played like a defender even when on the 18 yard line, and the hoof out for a corner under no pressure was a little conservative 

Randall - his positioning is amazing, regularly in exactly the right place, unfortunately going forward he struggles to make something of the amazing chances he gets

Chilvers - lost the ball a few times, nearly made stuff happen a few others. Decent dead ball. Jury still out 

Nisbet - seemed to be playing deeper than last week? Signs of a very promising connection with Hale 

Hale - took his goal well, a few other times could have played a pass perhaps when he took an opportunity instead - would be good to see him confident in team mates rather than seeing his role as the sole finisher (this may be harsh on my part)

White - good strong play, probably narked to get pulled on when he did

Denholm - was it his assist for Samuel? Looked decent 

Samuel - he made his goal from scratch - started it with amazing switch ball and then lovely positioning to finish it

Efete - was fine when he came on, no major upgrade on Brown

Brophy - genuinely didn't notice he was on the pitch

Grieves - can't remember, sorry.

County fans, feel free to tell me where I've got it wrong!