St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager - 24/25 Edition

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

303 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Strong Harri Kampmann vibes about this appointment (for younger viewers, a Finnish messiah appointed by Motherwell in the late 90s, I think, left with the Steelmen in a rip tide of disaster)

Aye, he was a mad appointment. Loads of signings too, leading to this iconic photo:

956775-1.jpg.c140d4fe070644d3d5bad99b13e1949a.jpg

Valakari at least "knows the league" from his time here; he's been in the running/discussions for our post a couple of times. I think our chance to land him was when Hammell went and we didn't want to pay the compensation.

Holm Kaska was the most deranged signing as I recall, barely good enough for lower tier junior football, as was. Drfited out the game after his bizarre brief spell at Fir Park, last heard of playing amateur in Germany. As I recall his team mates thought him a very nice guy, but just couldn't play football.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

13 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, he was a mad appointment. Loads of signings too, leading to this iconic photo:

956775-1.jpg.c140d4fe070644d3d5bad99b13e1949a.jpg

Valakari at least "knows the league" from his time here; he's been in the running/discussions for our post a couple of times. I think our chance to land him was when Hammell went and we didn't want to pay the compensation.

It was discussed in our thread at the time but I think the "knowing the league" aspect is pretty generous as outside of his brief visits to interview for the Motherwell job I don't think he's really had any involvement in the Scottish game for 20 odd years.

Not that that's a bad thing. I get the impression that fresh eyes and a manager like Valakari who seems to have an idea of how he wants his teams to play and how to implement it is probably what St Johnstone need at the moment after the Levein of it all where they had a guy who really just seemed to be going through the motions.

Tbh, I'm not even sure it was down to us not wanting to pay compensation given the way things panned out I get the impression that opting for a guy who had literally never managed a first team game in the top flight over Simo was just another in the series of "bad decisions" we seemed to make in the 18 months or so as Chairman Jim was trying to set fire to everything.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Don't think he or Saints will want to hang around. He doesn't seem the sort to want to waste time and I'd imagine as part of the previous discussions, both sides will have a pretty clear understanding. That said, clearly the Lynch situation shows not all things will have been discussed or agreed.

Apparently everything agreed with Riga compensation wise and talks over personal terms are tonight.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He fairly struggled with a couple of straight forward questions before just blurting out the truth.

Potential to be box office IMO.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He fairly struggled with a couple of straight forward questions before just blurting out the truth.

Potential to be box office IMO.

Tbf their owners are apparently a bit mad. It sounds like if he doesn't take our job they'll punt him for considering leaving, so he was probably trying to work out how to frame things well before realising it was a lost cause regardless.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Scott Burns saying Lynch is on a huge wage at Larne and we wouldn't offer him enough to make the move.

Simo Valakari, current manager of Riga FC, apparently been offered the job now.

Simo will be delighted that he’s the preferred first choice.   Not.

15 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

Simo will be delighted that he’s the preferred first choice.   Not.

Tbf he's said himself that talks with him were delayed so he could take charge of today's game.

8 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

What is this please? Link not working for me. 

https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/i-would-follow-tromso-manager-simo-valakari-end-of-earth

To try and encourage more fans to go to games, and invest in the club, he took part in some contest where you go into an outdoor ice bath in Norway. While doing it he gave an "inspirational" speech about how brave fans/players were to come out to watch a side in these conditions to folk who watched.

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The more I see and hear, I want it.

Aye, we miss out on the Irish Rowan Alexander and end up with a hipster maniac manager who'll fear nothing.

It feels like a win.