Sober Fresher's Week

41 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If a pub gets anywhere near having issues with MUP then I suggest it's used for money laundering and nothing else.

I appreciate this. However the pedant in me felt obligated to correct the statement.

32 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Even at the current minimum of 50p a unit, pubs would need to be selling single spirit and mixers for < 50p, doubles for < £1, pints for < £1 etc. I’ve not seen those prices even before the law came in.  

I wonder if any pubs have tried to circumvent the law by selling a token item for 50p and throwing in a “free” pint on top.

I suspect that would be illegal.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

I wonder if any pubs have tried to circumvent the law by selling a token item for 50p and throwing in a “free” pint on top.

That would be in breach of their license. Can't do 3 for 2 or whatnot. Nothing which would encourage someone to consume more alcohol than they originally intended. If someone asks for a vodka and coke you shouldn't even be asking them if they'd like a double. Can't offer free drink as a prize in a pub quiz (unless it's sealed and drunk off the premises).

On 22/09/2024 at 00:31, carpetmonster said:

I signed up for the fencing club in Freshers Week (pretty sure I was pished when I made the commitment) and it went fine for about 8 weeks until I had my first ‘fight’ and my brain’s reaction was ‘holy f**k, that c**t’s pointing a f**king sword at me’ and after that I didn’t do fencing anymore. 

My back gate needs fixed - can you help?