Where can the EOSFA/L improve?

24 minutes ago, Spyro said:

So all you really want is some flashy backgrounds on the results? Leave that to the WoS so people can have a cry about the no being able to see the writing because it has white characters on a purple background and "looks like a child did it"... 

The EoS website is the envy of the other leagues, even if it does look like it was created in 1989. It's easy, functional, clear and updated pretty quickly considering they rely on the clubs confirming results. While the social media accounts are there to send you to the website. 

No. That was a single example of areas I think can be improved on by the league. Another was things like streaming/recording cup draws and actually announcing the outcomes rather than leaving it to clubs to do. Yet another was using their social platforms to highlight things being done by clubs outwith the Saturday morning flurry of RTs of ‘it’s matchday’ posts.

others include trying to get clubs to work together and, potentially, produce a highlights package from games in each division (admittedly this one is more particularly tough to pull off), engaging with podcasters/influencers/bloggers to help increase the exposure clubs are getting. 

Uodated logos would also be a nice wee touch. The EOSFA one looks really old and low quality while the leagues just screams 1990s.

Work closer with clubs to share their ‘feel good stories’, be that success of youth teams, women’s teams, community work etc, particularly since more and more clubs find it harder to get local media coverage due to cuts at papers etc

Actively reach out to clubs and see what skills are there in terms of things like socials, PR, video, photography etc and work on trying to find a way where those skills can be used to benefit other clubs (even wee things clubs can do too like sharing video with opposition if available - I’ll always offer the full recording from ours to a club who we play who may not have their own VEO or videographer as well as the match officials).

Edited by General Dread

1 minute ago, General Dread said:

Another was things like streaming/recording cup draws and actually announcing the outcomes rather than leaving it to clubs to do.

That went well for the Junior Cup (I think) when their live feed went tits up and everyone was up in arms about it. I can also hear the accusations of "they've not even stirred the balls" and "he's looking at what he is picking out" if the camera angle isn't kind

2 minutes ago, General Dread said:

Yet another was using their social platforms to highlight things being done by clubs outwith the Saturday morning flurry of RTs of ‘it’s matchday’ posts.

Opens them up to 'favouritism' by the bell ends that frequent the comments sections on social media if they miss anyone out, or if a post has any wrong information

3 minutes ago, General Dread said:

trying to get clubs to work together and, potentially, produce a highlights package from games in each division

Club work together?! You've lost me! Also has potential for corrupting disaplinary matters when fans only get to see a certain angle while the league can only go on the refs report.

5 minutes ago, General Dread said:

Uodated logos would also be a nice wee touch. The EOSFA one looks really old and low quality while the leagues just screams 1990s

Aye but the 90's were cool and the EoS is old-school. Anyway who actually cares about logos apart from the people who fleece companies for creating them?

7 minutes ago, General Dread said:

Work closer with clubs to share their ‘feel good stories’, be that success of youth teams, women’s teams, community work etc, particularly since more and more clubs find it harder to get local media coverage due to cuts at papers etc

Opens them up to controversy when said 'feel good story' turns out to be a fraud or not all it would seem. You will also always get the people complaining that certain clubs are favoured over others. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, I've had the same thoughts on this as well but have been advised, and also had past experience on how much of a ballache it can turn out to be when the wrong thing is shared or posted on any social media under the banner of an organisation. Which is why the league appear to be letting the clubs themselves deal with that side of things

Just now, Spyro said:

That went well for the Junior Cup (I think) when their live feed went tits up and everyone was up in arms about it. I can also hear the accusations of "they've not even stirred the balls" and "he's looking at what he is picking out" if the camera angle isn't kind

Opens them up to 'favouritism' by the bell ends that frequent the comments sections on social media if they miss anyone out, or if a post has any wrong information

Club work together?! You've lost me! Also has potential for corrupting disaplinary matters when fans only get to see a certain angle while the league can only go on the refs report.

Aye but the 90's were cool and the EoS is old-school. Anyway who actually cares about logos apart from the people who fleece companies for creating them?

Opens them up to controversy when said 'feel good story' turns out to be a fraud or not all it would seem. You will also always get the people complaining that certain clubs are favoured over others. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, I've had the same thoughts on this as well but have been advised, and also had past experience on how much of a ballache it can turn out to be when the wrong thing is shared or posted on any social media under the banner of an organisation. Which is why the league appear to be letting the clubs themselves deal with that side of things

Oh well, the SJFA made an arse of it, nobody else should ever do it. Amazed the Scottish FA still do it after they made an arse of not one but two Scottish Cup draws live on TV 

Why don’t the same accusations of favouritism come now when they share posts from some clubs but not others?

The league will ask for footage where available. I’ve had at least two occasions where I’ve been asked to send video to the league relating to a disciplinary issue (one was when a Whitburn player assaulted our physio)

The 90s were also nearly 30 years ago. 

Aye, I’m sure something like ‘Club X does positive community engagement’ or ‘Club Y work with local schools to provide additional facilities for football’ will generate some real controversy. 

7 minutes ago, General Dread said:

Oh well, the SJFA made an arse of it, nobody else should ever do it. Amazed the Scottish FA still do it after they made an arse of not one but two Scottish Cup draws live on TV 

Why don’t the same accusations of favouritism come now when they share posts from some clubs but not others?

The league will ask for footage where available. I’ve had at least two occasions where I’ve been asked to send video to the league relating to a disciplinary issue (one was when a Whitburn player assaulted our physio)

Aye, I’m sure something like ‘Club X does positive community engagement’ or ‘Club Y work with local schools to provide additional facilities for football’ will generate some real controversy. 

I once had your energy and drive to try to help improve and update how things were being done within lower league and amateur football media online. Between the old people in charge set in their ways and the general public, you're a brave man if you want to get involved.

You'll be met with obstacles every step of the way and will essentially be given no thanks at all. Many have tried and few have had any success. People don't like change and a lot of clubs aren't the most welcoming of outside help when promoting their business and would rather struggle away doing the same things they have done for decades. Like I say, it's a headache the league could probably do without

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

I once had your energy and drive to try to help improve and update how things were being done within lower league and amateur football media online. Between the old people in charge set in their ways and the general public, you're a brave man if you want to get involved.

You'll be met with obstacles every step of the way and will essentially be given no thanks at all. Many have tried and few have had any success. People don't like change and a lot of clubs aren't the most welcoming of outside help when promoting their business and would rather struggle away doing the same things they have done for decades. Like I say, it's a headache the league could probably do without

Obstacles are there to be overcome. Christ, I was once part of an ‘Old Firm podcast’ that had both sides quite literally threatening violence against those involved - but once it launched the same folk listened in their thousands. 

No thanks is something that I’m long used to. I’ve covered various levels of fitba for a decade or so now and thanks don’t tend to come too often. Even the stuff I do now at Dunipace can be a fight to get the ok to go ahead with. The idea of doing programmes this season took a fair amount of fight - and even now some would prefer I didn’t because it *might* lose money some weeks. 

If people would rather stand still and fail then so be it but for me, and this is something I’m very big on, if things look professional from the outside, it helps make things more professional on the inside. 

31 minutes ago, General Dread said:

Are you not giving yourself a headache with your own mundane muttering? 

Who really cares (apart from you), if the website looks like it was last updated in the 1990s. Most n here accept the website for what it is. It gives us results, on the whole, timeously. Yip sometimes the format is not transferred to individual league status until a couple of hrs later, but if you have half a brain, you can update the tables in your own head and know where your team is in the league. In the scheme of things, does it really matter you can’t view updated league tables immediately. 

Going back to previous comments, if it bothers you that much, engage with those responsible for the website again. They might actually deal with you quicker this time, if they haven’t already lost the will with your inane chuntering.

Edited by Casey Jones

Just now, Casey Jones said:

Are you not giving yourself a headache with your own mundane muttering? 

Who really cares (apart from you), if the website looks like it was last updated in the 1990s. Most n here accept the website for what it is. It gives us results, on the whole, timeously. Yip sometimes the format is not transferred to individual league status until a couple of hrs later, but if you have half a brain, you can update the tables in your own head and know where your team is in the league. In the scheme of things, does it really matter you can’t view updated league tables immediately. 

Going back to previous comments, if it bothers you that much, engage with those responsible for the website again. They might actually deal with you quicker this time, if they haven’t already lost the will with your inane chuntering.

I don’t know how many times I need to explain this. I’ve not got any real complaints about the website. You continue to argue against something I’ve not said. You’ve actually mentioned complaints someone else on the thread has made. This is the second or third time I’ve explained this to you but you seem to have real difficulty understanding. 

Hi I am not sure if this will post or in what format so apologies if I miss any points made.

My name is Ryan I currently update the EOS twitter account, previously volunteer at a few clubs including Tranent, Dunbar and Newtongrange. Prior to that ran a successful club website and website company.

Some great suggestions on ways we can improve on here and it is encouraging that folk want to get involved and I will strongly urge you to do so.

Few points being made,

1) The results on the website. These are updated by the clubs phoning/texting in the scores and FT scores. My understanding is that whilst 99.9% of the time this is done there are obviously 1 or 2 occasions where either a club has forgotten or a phone has went flat and this means that the score doesn't get confirmed till later on in the afternoon or evening.

Having kept a close eye on this over the last 5 years I can honestly say I have total admiration for the person who keeps it upto date.

2) Results on Twitter. On the very few occasions where the above has been updated later than 5pm then I go through the club accounts and write the results in and post it

This is to ensure the results are up as quickly as possible.

Every Saturday I'm at a game with 1, 2 or 3 of my daughters or working so for me it's easier. 

I would rather get the scores up correctly and quickly before driving home 

I understand the graphics side of the game and have analysed other accounts. My view is it is that it is hard to post with graphics in 1 or 2 tweets all the scores due to the number of matches our league has, the Lowland for example is 1 league with no more than 9 games.

The development league does well but for us posting 4 leagues with graphics would take me a wee while, even if everything was prepared before hand. Mainly due to traveling time.

My view has been get the results up as quickly as possible - accurately every day, then people know it is a service they can and will trust and use.

The twitter account has increased by 2,400 followers in the time I have been running it. 

Regarding help with the....presentation of the fixtures and results - anyone able to commit every day to post fixtures and results with the graphics or and run the account please get in touch! Text me anytime 07541355622

My original plan was to link all the social media and website in together but we have been unable to get meetings set up due to everyone's work commitments

3) live Cup draws. I agree with the poster. I have asked to attend meetings as this is where the draws and news etc comes from. All the clubs have to agree is my understanding and as yet I have not been invited in. 

Cup draws are posted (ironically in hand written format) as soon as I receive them.

The clubs who are at these meetings tend to post as the draw is happening so I feel it is the clubs who are ahead of the game not really us who are behind

I think that's it, my remit was to keep the account rolling make sure the fixtures are posted, the results are posted every time there are games, like any relevant club news etc. On that point, before anything is retweeted or liked I have to look or watch it to check there isn't anything naughty so that can take time. I am sure if any mistake was made then the association would be on the phone (or at the very least writing a letter!)

Overall I have tried my best to keep the twitter updated and so far have done. It isn't flashy, and there is much more that can be done. I have limited time with 2 full time jobs, 3 young daughters and very outdated tools at my disposal. 

Anyone wishing to take over, help out please get in touch. Money wise there is nothing, I've never asked in any of the previous clubs and it should be about bringing money in not taking any (if there is!) Out.

I hope this helps

Kind Regards Ryan

9 hours ago, stanley said:

The topic seems to have moved on from the EoS to discussing duplicate accounts but, for what it's worth, I think the EoS do a good job with updates of scores on their site when matches are taking place. That's a very useful way of following the scores. They are, however, far slower than many of the other leagues in updating their tables. They have the final scores listed on the live scores section at the top of the site but it can take hours from them to be properly put in as results and for the table to update. That's the main criticism I'd have.

This is pretty much where I am too.
The Live Scores is excellent, I didn't know how it was achieved whether devolved or centralised but Faceman clarifies above. That probably answers my (minor) criticism which would be to group live scores by competition but I guess it's an easier task for one person if it is just in alphabetic order.
I'm relaxed about table updates, it doesn't feel time critical in the same way as live scores

4 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Hi I am not sure if this will post or in what format so apologies if I miss any points made.

My name is Ryan I currently update the EOS twitter account, previously volunteer at a few clubs including Tranent, Dunbar and Newtongrange. Prior to that ran a successful club website and website company.

Some great suggestions on ways we can improve on here and it is encouraging that folk want to get involved and I will strongly urge you to do so.

Few points being made,

1) The results on the website. These are updated by the clubs phoning/texting in the scores and FT scores. My understanding is that whilst 99.9% of the time this is done there are obviously 1 or 2 occasions where either a club has forgotten or a phone has went flat and this means that the score doesn't get confirmed till later on in the afternoon or evening.

Having kept a close eye on this over the last 5 years I can honestly say I have total admiration for the person who keeps it upto date.

2) Results on Twitter. On the very few occasions where the above has been updated later than 5pm then I go through the club accounts and write the results in and post it

This is to ensure the results are up as quickly as possible.

Every Saturday I'm at a game with 1, 2 or 3 of my daughters or working so for me it's easier. 

I would rather get the scores up correctly and quickly before driving home 

I understand the graphics side of the game and have analysed other accounts. My view is it is that it is hard to post with graphics in 1 or 2 tweets all the scores due to the number of matches our league has, the Lowland for example is 1 league with no more than 9 games.

The development league does well but for us posting 4 leagues with graphics would take me a wee while, even if everything was prepared before hand. Mainly due to traveling time.

My view has been get the results up as quickly as possible - accurately every day, then people know it is a service they can and will trust and use.

The twitter account has increased by 2,400 followers in the time I have been running it. 

Regarding help with the....presentation of the fixtures and results - anyone able to commit every day to post fixtures and results with the graphics or and run the account please get in touch! Text me anytime 07541355622

My original plan was to link all the social media and website in together but we have been unable to get meetings set up due to everyone's work commitments

3) live Cup draws. I agree with the poster. I have asked to attend meetings as this is where the draws and news etc comes from. All the clubs have to agree is my understanding and as yet I have not been invited in. 

Cup draws are posted (ironically in hand written format) as soon as I receive them.

The clubs who are at these meetings tend to post as the draw is happening so I feel it is the clubs who are ahead of the game not really us who are behind

I think that's it, my remit was to keep the account rolling make sure the fixtures are posted, the results are posted every time there are games, like any relevant club news etc. On that point, before anything is retweeted or liked I have to look or watch it to check there isn't anything naughty so that can take time. I am sure if any mistake was made then the association would be on the phone (or at the very least writing a letter!)

Overall I have tried my best to keep the twitter updated and so far have done. It isn't flashy, and there is much more that can be done. I have limited time with 2 full time jobs, 3 young daughters and very outdated tools at my disposal. 

Anyone wishing to take over, help out please get in touch. Money wise there is nothing, I've never asked in any of the previous clubs and it should be about bringing money in not taking any (if there is!) Out.

I hope this helps

Kind Regards Ryan

I’ll be in touch.

I like the website. It does everything that it needs to do. Could maybe need a refresh in certain parts as there's a forum section that hasn't been used since 2017. There's a sponsors section in the league tab which I think is out of date: Don't think 'Central Taxis', 'Football Nation', and 'SoccershopDirect' have anything to do with the EoS anymore. Couple of them used to be displayed on the home page and gone.

Which goes to one of the more disappointing aspects since the EoS grew from the 13 members to 50+. It hasn't been able to tap into sponsorships. That's admittedly a struggle across the board at non-league level. It really does seem to be who you know and when going outside that bubble it hasn't always worked out well or for the long-term.

Social media everyone seems to admit it can be better. Catering to 50+ clubs is a lot harder than just the one though, and doing it well starts to feel like a full-time job when you're just a volunteer.

Live cup draws. The first and second round draws seem to happen at the AGM. Sitting through that many cups and that many teams on a live stream isn't something i'm rushing towards watching. Its never usually just the one competition later on either, plus games within rounds aren't played on the same dates. So its not like sitting in for the Scottish/Junior/SCC cup draws.

10 hours ago, General Dread said:

The idea of doing programmes this season took a fair amount of fight - and even now some would prefer I didn’t because it *might* lose money some weeks. 

Having bought one of the programmes earlier in the season, I have to say I was very disappointed and wouldn't do so again.  £3 for something that was printed on high quality art paper, glossy and colourful but lacking in substance.  Design had far too much coloured print and black backgrounds making it hard to read.  Might have been ok for computer graphics but not good for print.  

Just my opinion though.

2 minutes ago, perthmo said:

Having bought one of the programmes earlier in the season, I have to say I was very disappointed and wouldn't do so again.  £3 for something that was printed on high quality art paper, glossy and colourful but lacking in substance.  Design had far too much coloured print and black backgrounds making it hard to read.  Might have been ok for computer graphics but not good for print.  

Just my opinion though.

Cheers for the feedback. It’s the first negative I’ve had on them so appreciate it.

In terms of substance, manager column, player interview over a couple of pages, opposition preview, squad lists, a quiz, fixtures and results and player sponsor info is about all there’s room for in there without increasing page numbers (and therefore cost). 

We’re also trying to get more sponsors/advertisers on board to reduce the cost to fans but don’t want to simply fill it with page after page of adverts so there’s a balance to be found.

With the colours, the white on black was suggested by our printing company. My background is in digital so I tend to defer to them when it comes to the actual printing and what helps make things stand out. 

Out of curiosity, can I ask which game it was so I can discuss with our printers  any changes they think could/should be made. 

32 minutes ago, General Dread said:

With the colours, the white on black was suggested by our printing company. My background is in digital so I tend to defer to them when it comes to the actual printing and what helps make things stand out. 

I read research years ago that said a high proportion of readers (45% from memory) don't even try to read white text on black, or light on dark.  That was in printed media, but I doubt if it's much different on screen.