Rangers Socks

Guest Kincardine

If you are happy wearing an England top then by all means do so, but don't call yourself Rangers fan and prepare to be called a bigot all your days ( especially on here! :lol: )

I've got no interest in wearing an England top or one that's "eerie reminiscent" of it. However, I don't see how wearing an England top makes you a bigot. It my be unpatriotic or even pathetic but certainly not bigotted.

HawHaw, I'd love to respond to your post but your attack was so forensically devastating that I'll need to employ a team of lawyers to help me.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found some of the comments made so surprising that I felt compelled to shrug off my lurker status and comment.

It is a fact that green and white striped straws were removed from the Ibrox kiosks, by Rangers Football Club.

What evidence have you for this?

It is a fact that shortly following the election of Pope Benedict XVI, the eggs benedict dish was removed from the Ibrox hospitality area, by Rangers Football Club.

I've never seen Eggs Benedict served at Ibrox - so I'd be interested in seeing the menu where it appeared.

If you're right, though, I guess this is the reason why I've never seen a Brandy Alexander on the cocktail list nor been offered a bottle of Innocent Smoothie nor seen Gregory's Girl shown before the game.

It is a fact that Unilever representatives were banned by Rangers Football Club from carrying out a contracted promotion in the lower tier of the Broomloan Stand, because the Pepperami product being promoted was in a green wrapper.

Another urban myth

It is a fact that Rangers Football Club designed, produced and sold an official football top which had a sash on it.

Shock horror! A sash!! I suppose having a sash or a diagonal stripe makes you a bigot. Like Dundee in 2003

dundee

or Dundee United the following year

dundee united

Furthermore, when did you last see a sash worn at an Orange parade? Collarettes have been mandated for as long as I can remember.

Really, if you want to make a 'football team kit in Orange connection scandal' comment then you should pick on Airdrie. Look at this. I bet they even have a fetching bowler hat to match:

airdrie

It is a fact that Rangers Football Club linked up with the only team in the People's Republic of China who wore an orange top.

No it isn't. Rangers are linked with Shenzhen Jianlibao. Look, here's a photo of them winning the Chinese title in their pretty orange green top:

Jianlibao

Of course, they also play in orange, as do Wuhan as you can see here:

another chinese team with orange strips

So is your point, "The Chinese team linked with Rangers sometimes wear an orange top and sometimes wear a green one"?

It is a fact that Rangers Football Club fund the Blue Order - a name with rather sectarian overtones - who provided fans in the Govan Stand with a huge Union flag

Well there are three points here.

1. Rangers don't fund The Blue Order

2. Where are the 'rather sectarian overtones'? Which word is sectarian? blue? order? Oh, maybe it's the combination of them that's sectarian. Maybe that explains why no one ever buys a Postal Order. They don't want to be accused of bigotry.

3. Why is flying the Union Jack (or Union Flag) comment-worthy? Is it flying a national flag per se that's wrong? or is it flying that particular one you object to?

It is a fact that Rangers Football Club designed, promoted and sold a football top which was eerie reminiscent of the then-current England top.

And your point is?

Now if you'd care to put together a reasonable post that says something like, "There are too many bigots at Ibrox, too many songs which have nothing to do with football and the Nazi salute is offensive" then I'd agree with you. However, to trot out rumours, urban myths, factual errors and irrelevancies does your cause no good.

Your first point: ask Rangers. In fact, check out the media reports of the day.

Eggs Benedict did appear on the hospitality menu at Ibrox. It now does not.

Unilever were indeed banned from promoting their product at Ibrox. Rangers were worried that the green colour of the wrapper may cause problems. One hopes that the fans at Ibrox do not look at the pitch.

A sash, or the orange colour does not make a team a bigot. Rangers, however, picked the sash design and orange top to appeal to the moronic majority of the fans.

In which Rangers shop can I buy the green away top of Shenzhen?

Rangers fund the Blue Order. They paid a portion of the money for the flag display at Ibrox. Incidentally, think of another organisation in the country that follows a colour with the word "Order". I can only think of one. Can you think of any? Is this coincidence? Why was the British flag displayed? When Rangers are in Europe, the strip of paper says "Rangers FC (SCO)", not "Rangers FC (GBR)". You are representing Scotland, not Britain. Why did the Blue Order and Rangers FC decide to have a British flag in the largest stand?

My point is that Rangers copied the England top. Did they do that because they have a great liking for that particular design?

You can dispute my other points at your pleasure.

Guest Kincardine

Straws, pepperami and Eggs Benedict

I've had hospitality at Ibrox reasonably often over 6 years and have never seen Eggs Benedict on any menu. However, as you present it as a fact you'll no doubt show the evidence. Same goes for green straws and Pepperami. Cite the evidence and I'll happily apologise.

Sash on strip

You said, "A sash, or the orange colour does not make a team a bigot." and with that I agree. However, why is a sash on a Rangers strip supposed to, "appeal to the moronic majority of the fans" yet those worn by, say, Dundee or Dundee United aren't? So it's only bigotted if it's on worn by Rangers players or fans?

China

You said, "It is a fact that Rangers Football Club linked up with the only team in the People's Republic of China who wore an orange top." amd I've shown that to be untrue. I didn't see you retract your statement.

Blue Order

Show evidence that Rangers fund the Blue Order. Indeed, the Inter Milan flag display was funded The Blue Order collecting about £3,000 from fans. Furthermore, a regular complaint on Rangers message boards is that the club does little to support The Blue Order and, indeed, the stewarding of the area occupied by The Blue Order seems overly zealous. Finally, even if Rangers did make contributions to them then why would that be a bad thing?

I can only assume from what you've said that you'd regard any organisation whose name takes the form, "The Colour Order" as sectarian. If this is the case then you've a very peculiar understanding of sectarianism and I'd be interested in hearing you justify this.

I'd also be interested in hearing you explain why a card display showing one Union flag and two Scottish flags is worthy of criticism.

Sure, Rangers play in Scotland and many supporters are Scottish but, equally, we're also living in Britain and many supporters aren't Scottish. Making use of the Union flag doesn't make you sectarian.

England Top

You said, "My point is that Rangers copied the England top" and with that I can only 1. agree and 2. say 'So what?'. Is it a crime to wear a top which is like the England one? Is it a crime to support England? Is it even a crime to be Scottish and support England?

Now, I know that there are too many bigots at Ibrox and there are songs sung by fans that are unacceptable and that the Nazi salute is offensive. However, by focussing on trivial rumours or half-truths or unsubstantiated allegations or seeing sectarianism in every symbol you're just making the problem worse.

Heard a story about the history behind the black socks with the red tops .

They are supposed to signify being up to their knees in fenien blood . apparently Ameruso refused to wear them .I did notice in videos of old firm games he wore all black socks .anyone else hear that rumour

Hmmm... a paranoid Celtic fan?

Surely not!

Straws, pepperami and Eggs Benedict

I've had hospitality at Ibrox reasonably often over 6 years and have never seen Eggs Benedict on any menu. However, as you present it as a fact you'll no doubt show the evidence. Same goes for green straws and Pepperami. Cite the evidence and I'll happily apologise.

Sash on strip

You said, "A sash, or the orange colour does not make a team a bigot." and with that I agree. However, why is a sash on a Rangers strip supposed to, "appeal to the moronic majority of the fans" yet those worn by, say, Dundee or Dundee United aren't? So it's only bigotted if it's on worn by Rangers players or fans?

China

You said, "It is a fact that Rangers Football Club linked up with the only team in the People's Republic of China who wore an orange top." amd I've shown that to be untrue. I didn't see you retract your statement.

Blue Order

Show evidence that Rangers fund the Blue Order. Indeed, the Inter Milan flag display was funded The Blue Order collecting about £3,000 from fans. Furthermore, a regular complaint on Rangers message boards is that the club does little to support The Blue Order and, indeed, the stewarding of the area occupied by The Blue Order seems overly zealous. Finally, even if Rangers did make contributions to them then why would that be a bad thing?

I can only assume from what you've said that you'd regard any organisation whose name takes the form, "The Colour Order" as sectarian. If this is the case then you've a very peculiar understanding of sectarianism and I'd be interested in hearing you justify this.

I'd also be interested in hearing you explain why a card display showing one Union flag and two Scottish flags is worthy of criticism.

Sure, Rangers play in Scotland and many supporters are Scottish but, equally, we're also living in Britain and many supporters aren't Scottish. Making use of the Union flag doesn't make you sectarian.

England Top

You said, "My point is that Rangers copied the England top" and with that I can only 1. agree and 2. say 'So what?'. Is it a crime to wear a top which is like the England one? Is it a crime to support England? Is it even a crime to be Scottish and support England?

Now, I know that there are too many bigots at Ibrox and there are songs sung by fans that are unacceptable and that the Nazi salute is offensive. However, by focussing on trivial rumours or half-truths or unsubstantiated allegations or seeing sectarianism in every symbol you're just making the problem worse.

What an anal head-in-the-sand typical OF fan. :rolleyes:

You know as well as anyone that things such as orange tops are bigoted. Therein lies your answer that things could hardly be worse - the club promotes biotry and is rotten to the core. Likewise you know fine the connotations the colour orange or the England top have at Rangers. Just as a tangerine top has no connection with bigotry for Dundee Hibernians. :rolleyes:

However, just you go on making embarrassingly trivial points and defending the sickening organisation you purport to support. :rolleyes:

yes Rangers do have some bigoted fans but so do every club and it is just because Rangers are bigger than clubs like Falkirk and St Mirren that the smaller clubs fans like to bring it up or else they would'nt. Remember when Rangers had the flag display at half time and everyone was saying all the flags were a disgrace and are all bigoted flags , what a load of crap. The Melbourne Rangers Supporters club had our flag there which was the fairly big Australian flag with Melbourne Rangers Supporters club stitched on it, how on earth do you call that a bigoted flag! Coming from Australia it kind of offended me when people said that, and if it is because the Australian flag has a union jack in the corner of it then GET OVER IT!! :rolleyes:

yes Rangers do have some bigoted fans but so do every club and it is just because Rangers are bigger than clubs like Falkirk and St Mirren that the smaller clubs fans like to bring it up or else they would'nt.

Tell me then, the likes of Clyde apart, what Scottish grounds have you been at where you've heard racist or religious abuse?

But of course, you probably hear it from Australia! :blink:

We do get the matches live at the supporters club ya know through Setanta :rolleyes:

Plus ya dont have to be a rocket scientist to know that it goes on at every ground no matter where ya live, but of course you probably hear it from Strasbourg :rolleyes::P

We do get the matches live at the supporters club ya know through Setanta :rolleyes:

Plus ya dont have to be a rocket scientist to know that it goes on at every ground no matter where ya live, but of course you probably hear it from Strasbourg :rolleyes::P

Aye, the Rangers matches, maybe the Celtic matches too... You said all the grounds.

You do have to be a rocket scientist frankly - I've never heard it at any of the lower league grounds I've been too - perhaps you know differently?

I don't hear it from Strasbourg, no, nor did I for the previous 15 years of my life in Scotland, nor have I this season when back home for games.

Aye, the Rangers matches, maybe the Celtic matches too... You said all the grounds.

You do have to be a rocket scientist frankly - I've never heard it at any of the lower league grounds I've been too - perhaps you know differently?

I don't hear it from Strasbourg, no, nor did I for the previous 15 years of my life in Scotland, nor have I this season when back home for games.

aye but they are the games you have been at. You probably suffer from selective hearing :lol: You go to an away game and you only visit that teams ground like 3 times a season but you have'nt been to all that teams games so you dont know if it goes on do you ;)

aye but they are the games you have been at. You probably suffer from selective hearing :lol: You go to an away game and you only visit that teams ground like 3 times a season but you have'nt been to all that teams games so you dont know if it goes on do you ;)

What a ridiculous thing to say. I'd imagine that if I had even been to one game at a ground, it would be one more than you. :rolleyes:

What a ridiculous thing to say. I'd imagine that if I had even been to one game at a ground, it would be one more than you. :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say. I have been at Ibrox twice, Rugby park once as well as Tynecastle and Somerset Park. I would like to think you have been to more grounds than me seen as you live over there and I live on the other side of the world :rolleyes: But I have traveled a lot further than what you will ever do to support my team ;) B) :P

What a stupid thing to say. I have been at Ibrox twice, Rugby park once as well as Tynecastle and Somerset Park. I would like to think you have been to more grounds than me seen as you live over there and I live on the other side of the world :rolleyes: But I have traveled a lot further than what you will ever do to support my team ;) B) :P

I don't see the relevance of the post to the bigotry question, presumably it's an admission that you were talking rubbish.

I'm sure you didn't come to Scotland just to see your team. I on the other hand have twice come home for a weekend just to see an important game, a 1500 mile round trip which I think is pretty good.

I don't see the relevance of the post to the bigotry question, presumably it's an admission that you were talking rubbish.

I'm sure you didn't come to Scotland just to see your team. I on the other hand have twice come home for a weekend just to see an important game, a 1500 mile round trip which I think is pretty good.

Good on ya! But quadruple your round trip or even more and thats just getting to Scotland from Australia one way never mind the round trip plus the 23hrs spent on the plane and thats just one way and thats how long it took.

:lol:

I love that explanation. Pity though that for it to be true, surely all of the socks have to be red..... :lol:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory ;)

Archived