What Are You Listening To?

ICTChris

I love The Kinks. I`m actually liking them more and more as I get older.

My old band used to do a killer cover of Lola B)

They're one of my favourite bands; Ray Davies is just a superb songwriter, he doesn't need to be flashy to sound excellent and interesting.

I've never heard a cover of Lola that I have enjoyed, no one seems to get it right :( .

They're one of my favourite bands; Ray Davies is just a superb songwriter, he doesn't need to be flashy to sound excellent and interesting.

I've never heard a cover of Lola that I have enjoyed, no one seems to get it right :( .

We certainly didn`t :D

Davies is hugely under rated and while he is still influential he never seemed to get the recognition for a guy with such an immense talent. What a legacy of music though.

We certainly didn`t :D

Davies is hugely under rated and while he is still influential he never seemed to get the recognition for a guy with such an immense talent. What a legacy of music though.

I think the emergence of Britpop helped bands like the Kinks, and the Jam achieve a wider appeal.

Although I think the, relative, lack of commercial success during their most productive period, was inexplicable.

My personal favourite was always Village Green Preservation Society B) .

Absolutely love The Kinks as well. Few songwriters can do melancholy in the way that Ray Davies does, which is something I'm a total sucker for. Particularly songs like Sitting In My Hotel, which although not one of their well known ones, is just gorgeous.

I don't know if he ever does it now, but if he tours his Storyteller shows again they are well worth going to. He reads extracts from his autobiography and performs solo (there is another bloke accompanying him on some of them) versions of Kinks songs and its just great. I remember 'See My Friends' being particularly lovely and really quite moving.

I'm going to pop some Kinks on right now.

Edited by Mel Hutchwright

Absolutely love The Kinks as well. Few songwriters can do melancholy in the way that Ray Davies does, which is something I'm a total sucker for. Particularly songs like Sitting In My Hotel, which although not one of their well known ones, is just gorgeous.

I don't know if he ever does it now, but if he tours his Songwriter shows again they are well worth going to. He reads extracts from his autobiography and performs solo (there is another bloke accompanying him on some of them) versions of Kinks songs and its just great. I remember 'See My Friends' being particularly lovely and really quite moving.

I'm going to pop some Kinks on right now.

I got into the Kinks via American garage music bizarrely enough. Loads of these kids had obviously learned Kinks riffs from their early stuff and flung it into their own music. I always liked the Kinks but hadn`t really delved that deeply into them. Realising that the Kinks were influential with American teenagers in the mid sixties made me take a look at them again. I much prefer the Kinks to the Beatles in terms of songwriting. I think Davies is tremendous.