What Are You Listening To?

ICTChris

4AD night tonight...

Pixies - Where Is My Mind?

Funnily enough, I've just been making up a CD of 4AD groups and artists. Some recent Tanya Donnelly here, a little This Mortal Coil there, all spliced with some Pixies, some Belly and a whole bunch of Cocteau Twins songs.

Do you mean in terms of range?

Jeff Buckley for one.

I mean in terms of making the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, I mean in terms of achieving a quite ludricrously high pitched note and holding it for a quite ludicrously lengthy period of time. Ultimately, I mean in terms of simply having an awesome singing voice. I can admit that some of her work has been criminal but when she sings something worth singing to the best of her ability, there is quite simply no one that can touch her.

Boy George doesn't come close for me and I must admit that I'm not that familiar with Jeff Buckley's work. The only time I can ever remember having heard anywhere near such an impressive vocal performance is Mini Ripperton's Loving You. A fantastic song, sung beautifully. She's still behind Mariah Carey for me though.

I'll check them out JP. They're gonna have to be good though. It's a measure of how much I respect your opinion that I'll bother to download some of their work.

The Roberta Flack one is a good bet. Ultimately, for that "hair on the back of your neck thing" - I know exactly what you mean - then go for Jeff Buckley singing Hallelujah (it's a Leonard Cohen song but done differently). Its the most electric vocal performance I can think of off hand - outwith Opera obviously.

Funnily enough, I've just been making up a CD of 4AD groups and artists. Some recent Tanya Donnelly here, a little This Mortal Coil there, all spliced with some Pixies, some Belly and a whole bunch of Cocteau Twins songs.

One of the music magazines gave away a CD of 4AD tracks a while back.

I'll dig it out and give a track listing.

The Roberta Flack one is a good bet. Ultimately, for that "hair on the back of your neck thing" - I know exactly what you mean - then go for Jeff Buckley singing Hallelujah (it's a Leonard Cohen song but done differently). Its the most electric vocal performance I can think of off hand - outwith Opera obviously.

Yeah, it's worth mentioning that most opera singers would probably wipe the floor with that lot. I'm on the JB tune.