What Are You Listening To?

ICTChris

Mercury Rev - My Love (and indeed my signed copy of The Secret Migration).

Incidentally, I heard Melanie Chisholm talking about the influence of The Band, yes The Band, on her new material. Don't hear it myself.

Incidentally, I heard Melanie Chisholm talking about the influence of The Band, yes The Band, on her new material.  Don't hear it myself.

468352[/snapback]

Ok, bit strange but do you know of a song by The Band with the lyrics "Down South In New Orleans"? It's one of the first songs I remember hearing and I'm pretty sure it's The Band...

Could ask Dad but don't want to admit I like "the rubbish" he listens to B) .

Ok, bit strange but do you know of a song by The Band with the lyrics "Down South In New Orleans"? It's one of the first songs I remember hearing and I'm pretty sure it's The Band...

Could ask Dad but don't want to admit I like "the rubbish" he listens to B) .

468618[/snapback]

The Band are superb. B)

Can't think of the song you mean though. There's no song of that title that I'm aware of, and I'm not sure about it as a lyric either... :unsure:

The Band are superb.  B)

Can't think of the song you mean though. There's no song of that title that I'm aware of, and I'm not sure about it as a lyric either...  :unsure:

468718[/snapback]

After a tiny bit of hunting... Track 9, Disc 1 of the Last Waltz (boxset) by The Band is Down South In New Orleans.

Isn't on Napster which is a bit of a b'stard.

After a tiny bit of hunting... Track 9, Disc 1 of the Last Waltz (boxset) by The Band is Down South In New Orleans.

468807[/snapback]

Hmmm who is singing on that one with them? I have the DVD of the Last Waltz (excleent, you must get it, about 6 or 7 quid in Fopp or MusicZone) and I don't recall seeing that on it...

I didn't buy the boxset cos it was dead expensive and seemed a waste of money tbh.

468807[/snapback]

I think, of what I know the Last Waltz, that Down South In New Orleans is a Dr John record. I may be wrong, it could also be a cover of a Robert Johnson track. I'll find out for you.

Hmmm who is singing on that one with them? I have the DVD of the Last Waltz (excleent, you must get it, about 6 or 7 quid in Fopp or MusicZone) and I don't recall seeing that on it...

I didn't buy the boxset cos it was dead expensive and seemed a waste of money tbh.

468821[/snapback]

Not sure... strange thing is I'm sure I've looked at the back of The Last Waltz in a record shop before and it wasn't on it, so it might well just be on the box set.

May have to investigate further tomorrow.

Not sure... strange thing is I'm sure I've looked at the back of The Last Waltz in a record shop before and it wasn't on it, so it might well just be on the box set.

468833[/snapback]

The boxset has a few odd bits and pieces not on anything else I think.

Just looked at the DVD, chapter 9 is Dr John, but it's not that song.

468833[/snapback]

It's well worth purchasing the 4CD box set of the Last Waltz, it includes several instrumental pieces - waltzes, funnily enough - jams, and songs recorded with the likes of Emmylou Harris that didn't make the album release. Well worth purchasing, I should say, if you are a fan.