N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

It looks like Sidney Crosby is making a name for himself this year, just in the wrong way. 2 weeks ago he had a cheap shot in a fight against Atlanta, yet only got a 2 minute penalty, then the other day he picked up 19minutes of penaltys against Floriday for "fighting" unfairly too. I wonder if he is going to start to get banned for games for the bad play, like Avery did. Interesting few weeks ahead for the "superstar" of Hockey - seems like many superstars he can't take it when things arent going his way.

That "fight" was a joke. His gloves dropped and he just starting throwing... "puches" without the other guy even knowing Crosby wanted to go. That should have been a misconduct penalty. If he tries that crap with a team like Anaheim, New York (Rangers), Philly, etc., he'll really get it.

First his diving issue, then this. Crosby is a little bitch. I think that was my first post here. :lol: The Prince of Wales trophy thing was absolutely atrocious in my opinion and so arrogant. Really wound me up.

Anyway, series of two against the Queens this week. Always must-win games. Don't give their fans anything to talk about.

Edited by kyle*

He's Canadian too, eh? :P

What was the Prince of Wales incident? I missed that.

Oh don't get me started. :lol: (just kidding, just kidding! i'm on the verge of offensive... i only hate the overzealous Canadian media*)

The Prince of Wales trophy is given to the Eastern Conference winning team... And Crosby made a point of not touching it because it wasn't the trophy he wanted to win. While the latter is true for all teams, it's insulting to your team ("this isn't an accomplishment, guys), is absolutely disrespectful to the person the Prince of Wales trophy was dedicated to (i'll assume a Welsh prince?), etc, etc.

Oh well. He ended up not touching either trophy. ;)

*USA! USA! USA!

The Flames beat SJS 5-2 last night, which was a shock to say the least.

However after this great result we will no doubt get beat by NYI on Thursday <_<

That was a great result for you guys, I thought SJ would have just edged it but really cant see you losing to NYI, if you do that will be a shock. Good to see Boston slipping up

against Minnesota aswell and Kyle will be happy with the Ducks beating the Kings.

We have NY Rangers tonight which should be a close game. Go the Habs :)

Edited by Bluenose5

Mayday traded to the Leafs. :(

Damn you, Burke. Hopefully this is all he takes from us.

Also, Ruutu bit someone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Aqhj...p&type=lgns

He bit someone. Like, with his teeth. And I'm not that surprised.

:lol:

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutuuuu!

He has always been a nutjob, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Bad quality, no sound, but... OH MY GOD WHAT A GOAL.

Ryan's hat trick made the loss last night easier to handle. Always hate losing to the scum, but when only three of our players show up... 25 points in 24 games in his rookie year. Not even selected to the rookie all star squad. Oh well.

There's going to be a new great wearing the #9 in Anaheim soon. We can erase the old, nasty one out of the books.

Oh, and Turco was rocked out of the game against Detroit. =) Good. Dirty little...

Edited by kyle*

I can't understand this horrible, horrible form.

Every game it's something different that goes wrong, it's not even constistant.

Arrgh.

I haven't seen anything, so just wildly guessing, but could it be that the players have started to believe the hype that surrounds them, and haven't been putting in the required effort that has to go along with the skill to make them a good team?

I haven't seen anything, so just wildly guessing, but could it be that the players have started to believe the hype that surrounds them, and haven't been putting in the required effort that has to go along with the skill to make them a good team?

I'm not sure. It's a bit annoying - one game the D won't turn up, the next Fleury plays a shocker, and then we can't put the puck in the net. It's frustrating.

Not to have a go at Zanetti, but it wasn't the loss last night that made me mad, but the piss-poor atmosphere in Pittsburgh. Everyone always moans about Anaheim being a "Disney team" with no passionate fans, but that place was a morgue last night. I'm in DC right now, so I made the trip up. Good call. :rolleyes:

For the entire third period up until the Pittsburgh goal, which did not draw a ton of noise despite being the obvious clincher, the silence was only broken up by applause... Golf course stuff.

It doesn't really bother me how loud other arenas are... But I get abuse all the time for being a Ducks fan because we "have no real fanbase" and such. But the Honda Center is so much louder and intense in comparison. And it's so much more affordable. (Last night cost me $70 for a ticket, where in Anaheim you pay about $10/game under season tickets in the equivalent seating section, or about $20 on game day.)

It also helps when it isn't ten degrees outside. I miss the West coast!

And in terms of the Ducks' performance... Oh well. I'm rather numbed out to piss-poor, undisciplined, and uninspired play. Hedican was good, though. Yep.

Edited by kyle*

The attendances and atmosphere have been poor lately, but in fairness so has the team. Although I suppose you could say that a win should liven the crowd up. I don't really know much about that to be honest.

Again, it's something that is sort of futile to talk about concerning American sports, because our crowds are nothing like crowds in Europe. I just don't like hearing so much crap about my team when we're not really a guilty party.

For those curious, some NHL attendance numbers...

1. Chicago (22,560) *Attribute this to the Winter Classic; Montreal is always number one in attendance because of their arena size.

2. Montreal (21,273)

3. Detroit (19,274)

16. Pittsburgh (16,895)

17. Anaheim (16,886)

26. Phoenix (14,733)

27. Nashville (14,544)

28. Columbus (14,533)

29. Atlanta (14,417) (77% of arena)

30. New York Islanders (13,693) (84% of arena)

Edited by kyle*