The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Interesting. He complains that they get shown more than anyone else but they're probably the biggest club in the division.

I wonder what action would be taken against them if Sky aren't allowed to show the game?

The only incident that comes close to this that I can remember was when Hibs didn't allow BT Sport into Easter Road for their game against Killie. However Hibs had the T&Cs on their side as they had meet their contractual obligations for live games from Easter Road for that season. I can't see Leeds having anything like that to fall back on.

Interesting. He complains that they get shown more than anyone else but they're probably the biggest club in the division.

I wonder what action would be taken against them if Sky aren't allowed to show the game?

Assuming Sky are within their contractual right to broadcast the game (i.e. they still have games left to show, and haven't reached their quota of Leeds [home] games), then Leeds are in breach of Football League rules. The Football League are also in breach of contract with Sky.

The latter will likely be sorted out quite amicably (they need each other after all) but I can see the FL coming down hard on Leeds. They don't want a precedent to be set.

This would have been Leeds ninth game on Sky but the 4th at home.

Forest have been shown 9 times with Derby and Leeds 8 times to date.

There is no quota for home games unlike in the PL where sky show everybody twice.

Cellino has one the battle but the FL and sky will win the war am afraid.

I see why sky want to show Leeds games as they get good viewing figures with around 450000 to 50000 watching.

The other clubs will be watching with interest as well.

Edited by Glasgow Loon

Some sympathy with Cellino here on lost revenue from ticket sales, merchandising and catering at televised home games.

As sponsors of the EFL and the main backer on huge TV rights though, Sky are the paymasters, he's got no f*ckin chance here!The league will be poring over their contracts looking to impose financial penalties and perhaps even a points reduction. Wouldn't imagine anyone connected with the club wants that.

It's the fans I feel sorry for, not just Leeds, but supporters of all clubs who continually have their fixtures messed around with 300 mile trips re-arranged for a Thursday night at the behest of TV bosses.

Some sympathy with Cellino here on lost revenue from ticket sales, merchandising and catering at televised home games.

Except their average attendance at televised home games this season is higher than at non-televised games.

As sponsors of the EFL and the main backer on huge TV rights though, Sky are the paymasters, he's got no f*ckin chance here!The league will be poring over their contracts looking to impose financial penalties and perhaps even a points reduction. Wouldn't imagine anyone connected with the club wants that.

It's the fans I feel sorry for, not just Leeds, but supporters of all clubs who continually have their fixtures messed around with 300 mile trips re-arranged for a Thursday night at the behest of TV bosses.

I expect a heavy punishment if the club doesn't fufill their contractual obligations here and it's something we could really do without. Fans being pissed around by fixture changes isn't fair but for me this is not the way to go around tackling it.

If Massimo feels something needs to be done he should be trying to get the support of other member clubs and attempting to negotiate changes when the next deal is negotiated. That's not the way this maniac operates though.

Except their average attendance at televised home games this season is higher than at non-televised games.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that.

What's his beef on lost revenue then? If their gates are up for televised games why is complaining about their coverage!? Leeds must also surely get additional payments from Sky for the number of times they are on the telly, It doesn't make sense!?

Just had a wee look, their home opener against Lancashire rivals Burnley attracted a crowd of 27,500 plus, which you would expect for the first game of the season and perhaps the only exception.

Arguably their biggest local Derby against Sheffield Wednesday drew just 22,500 and their other televised game against another close Lancashire rival Blackburn which just managed to get over the 19,500 mark. Compare that with 25,000 plus gates against Brentford and Rotherham and I think he has a point!?

From The Official Site.

Leeds United have reluctantly allowed Sky cameras into Elland Road to broadcast tonight's fixture against Derby County.
Leeds United have noted that the majority of press reports on the matter have quite rightly appreciated that the club's issues with the Football League relate in part to the entirely disproportionate number of times Sky have selected the club for live transmission.
It is not just the number of times the club has been selected, but the fact the adjoining fixtures are also then disrupted which adversely affects the players, the club's logistical arrangements and the fans' arrangements. It is clear to the club that its key supporters, the Season Ticket holders, have also had enough of this constant alteration, often at short notice, to the fixture list to accommodate Sky.
Leeds United were required to play Wolverhampton Wanderers on Thursday December 17 followed by Preston North End at home on Sunday December 20, followed by Nottingham Forest on Sunday evening and then Derby County tonight .
Recent good results have been achieved despite the alterations to the fixture list, but at great cost to the players' fitness and a substantial injury list .The festive plans of supporters have also been entirely ruined by Sky's live TV selections .
The league, despite the club having challenged them through the appropriate legal routes, continue to try and alter our schedule by insisting fixtures are changed to suit Sky, including Brighton & Hove Albion away from a Saturday to a Monday in February.
Given Sky are to show 92 live games this season, a fair allocation would be four home games per club - so the selection by Sky is clearly unfair and the league are allowing this .
The Football League regulations are supposed to be there to protect the integrity of the sporting competition, not to be used as a stick to beat the club on behalf of Sky.
Leeds United Season Ticket holders have had enough of these fixture changes, the players and staff have had enough, and Leeds United Football Club has had enough .
It is to be noted that the League threaten a disrepute charge against the club. It is the League who are bringing their own competition into disrepute by unfairly prejudicing Leeds (and certain other clubs) by allowing Sky to unfairly disrupt Leeds United for their own commercial purposes.

It seems that in their outrage, someone has miscounted the number of times Leeds have been shown at home this season. Tonight will be the fourth time - which is in line with their own definition of "fair".

The points raised in the a Club statement also relate to the continual disruption of their away fixtures and schedule however, they too could be considered a fair reflection?

It seems that in their outrage, someone has miscounted the number of times Leeds have been shown at home this season. Tonight will be the fourth time - which is in line with their own definition of "fair".

Halfway through the season

The points raised in the a Club statement also relate to the continual disruption of their away fixtures and schedule however, they too could be considered a fair reflection?

Halfway through the season

Yes, but read the statement again - they say that showing a team four times at home is fair, then go on to describe tonight's selection as "unfair", despite it being the fourth game.

Yes, but read the statement again - they say that showing a team four times at home is fair, then go on to describe tonight's selection as "unfair", despite it being the fourth game.

From that I assume they mean four times over a full season is fair, Leeds will have played their 'fair' allocation within half a season. Not trying to be pedantic, but does that mean that there will be no further televised coverage from Elland Road to the end of the season with important promotion and relegation issues to decide? The games that will also pull in the size of TV audiences that Sky pay their sponsorship and TV rights for?