Who Will Win Euro 2004?

RiG

Simple really, which team will triumph in Portugal?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me I reckon it will be Italy or Portugal. France seem to be losing the shine they had at the last couple of Championships and their defence is now somewhat suspect.

Italy seem to have a solid all round squad, maybe alcking a wee bit in the flair department of midfield but they could certainly go far.

Portugal as the host nation should also go a long way in the tournament.

At a push - Italy.

Thoughts?

Portugal.

What just like that?

Why do you think they will win?

They are a damn good team mind, just want to hear what you think of them. :)

Guest BCityfan
What just like that?

He usually just posts straight answers.

I'd be hard pushed to find a post that he has typed more than 3 lines.

Anyway, I think it will be Italy or France, simply because Italy has a great defence while they are very strong upfront, I don't really rate France's defence but their midfield and strikeforce is top notch.

Guest James the bairn

I'm not sure why but i just think that Spain will win it. They have Underachieved (sp?) for many years and i reckon this could be there time!

I think Spain will win, but i would like to see Portugal win!

Guest There's only 1 Jack Ross

Possible say Spain as the have underachieved in recent years and i think they will find the right formula this time. I would like to see any1 but France and England as The English r the English and the French r arrogant tossers except Viera but that Henry really annoys me.

Have gone for France, think they're probably the best team on paper, but I'm not convinced they'll perform to their ability. Think all the teams have large weaknesses though, hard one to call.

Voted for France. They have the players to do it, and because they did pish in the World Cup they will want to go as far as possible in this.

What just like that?

I think they'll win because they rise to the occassion best when they're not expected to do so well in a tournament. With Pauleta, Figo, Conceicao, Rui Costa and Christiano Ronaldo in their side, they are a force to be reckoned with.

France are definitely the best squad on paper, but their two main problems could be to many good players (not getting the best team playing) and tired players coming into the tournament.

I have voted for the Czechs, they do get overlooked a lot and are to easily written off. They have been one of the most consistent countries for a number of years now and if they get the breaks it could be their year.

Guest Ruggy Bairn
You had to edit that? :lol::lol::lol:

And who did you vote for? :rolleyes:

Yes. The colours were fecked the first time I did it. :wacko:

I forgot to vote, but will be clicking Spain imminently! :D

Actually Lativa are not a bad bet for a shock result. Not that they will win it but I reckon they will do better than most people expect.

As for the eventual winners, I think you can separate them into 4 groups..

1: Outsiders. Those with no chance but might annoy the favourites by taking points of them. They will simply enjoy being part of the setup.

Latvia, Greece, Switzerland.

2: Also rans. Those teams that are nowhere near as good as they were a few years back. Who are either on the way down or are rebuilding and the competition has come too early.

Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Rep, Denmark, Russia

3: Dark horses. Teams that you wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the final but you would be surprised if they won as they can't keep up the consistency game in game out.

England, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Portugal (*)

4: Contenders. Team you would expect to be favourites.

France, Germany, Italy

Out of that? You should never bet against the Germans in a competition, no matter how sh!te they seem to be they have an annoying habbit of winning.

(*) - Portugal and Spain are interesting in this equation. With home advantage teams always do better and Spain hate the Portugese in the same manner as the Scots/English do and winning it on Portugese soil would be one hell of an incentive for them. That said, Spain are perenial underachievers (yes, James that is how you spell it :)).

Fair play Radford, I always admire a man who answers a debate by using the word "pishflaps". :)

As for Greece, you might be right, but I would never put them in the "dark horses" bracket. However if that is the only thing from my reply that you don't agree with then I think I am doing pretty well.

I could of course refer to the FIFA rankings and point out that Greece is the 4rd worst rated team out of the competition (#33), only in front of Bulgaria (#38), Switzerland (#47) and Latvia (#52).

IMO, I think the worst team of the tournament is Switzerland.

Archived